• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hi capacity magazines

chindogg

NES Member
I was at the range yesterday and a guy I see there all the time had an xd with 13 round magazines. I asked him if it he was worried about the 13 round mag. He claimed that it would be the gun shops problem if he encountered the law. Any educated opinions. He said he loved it lol!

While minding one's own business is the best route to go, yes the guns tore could get in trouble for selling post ban high caps. However, that does not absolve that guy of possession of those mags and he could turn himself into the felon of the week

How does that mean anything?

In any other state mags are completely unregulated. A 10 yr old from MA could walk into a gun shop or gun show in CT or NH and legally buy that 13 rd mag then bring it back to MA, at which point he'd become a felon. There is no way for the guy to even prove the high cap mags came from a specific gun shop because in any other state the sale of these mags is about as well documented as the sale of a barrel bushing.

So how is it "the gun shop's problem". The guy's an idiot. Mass is not an island. Its surrounded by relatively free'er states in which MA residents can buy, in an unregulated manner all kinds of stuff that MA residents can't get.

I just bought 2K rounds of Federal Lake City Ammo for $560 delivered for a friend in MA. (Who holds all credentials necessary to legally this ammo into MA) He'll be picking it up from me in CT.

Don

p.s. sale still going on at Brownells. Use coupon code "DFM" for 10% off.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=92413/pid=44904/Product/FEDERAL-5-56mm-M193-RIFLE-AMMUNITION?mc_id=200500&source=CJ

Last edited:
I believe that the possession of the standard capacity magazines is what is illegal. So, its got nothing to do with the shop. You're not going to get off the hook by blaming the possession of something that is illegal such as a post ban standard capacity magazine that holds over 10 rounds, on the person who sold it to you.

I believe that the possession of the standard capacity magazines is what is illegal. So, its got nothing to do with the shop. You're not going to get off the hook by blaming the possession of something that is illegal such as a post ban standard capacity magazine that holds over 10 rounds, on the person who sold it to you.

it sure does have something to do with the shop, however, using "the shop sold them to me" as a defense will not work....

Can you explain what you mean by that?

assuming it was a MA gun shop that sold the gun/mags, from conversations I had with people who read up on gun law a lot said that the shop can get in trouble for selling post ban high caps. Of course, like my original post, it bears repeating: this does not absolve the guy with the mags from getting into trouble for possessing those mags.

The point is that possessing the standard capacity magazine that holds more than ten rounds, where it is illegal to do so, is a legal problem for the person in possession. And "xyz gunshop sold this to me", is not a defense that is going to magically get you out of legal trouble. And, the law doesn't make exceptions to those who are ignorant of the law either. Incase the person is planning to play dumb as if the store made a mistake in selling it and the person didn't know better anyway.

The point is that possessing the standard capacity magazine that holds more than ten rounds, where it is illegal to do so, is a legal problem for the person in possession. And "xyz gunshop sold this to me", is not a defense that is going to magically get you out of legal trouble. And, the law doesn't make exceptions to those who are ignorant of the law either. Incase the person is planning to play dumb as if the store made a mistake in selling it and the person didn't know better anyway.

well yes. The guy wasnt totally wrong when he commented about it being the shops problem. Just turns out to be HIS problem as well, heh

It's easy to prove HE was in possesion of th mag. It's damn near impossible to prove who sold it to him. "Nope, didn't buy it here ..." would most likely absolve the gun shop.

It's easy to prove HE was in possesion of th mag. It's damn near impossible to prove who sold it to him. "Nope, didn't buy it here ..." would most likely absolve the gun shop.

oh for sure, much easier to hang the guy than the shop. At the same time, though, he says where he bought it, authorities go there, then ask distributor how the gun was shipped to FFL, and it could be become quite messy in theory.......but yes, two things are true: 1. this state blows, and 2. this state blows.

When I was a noob a gun shop sold me hi caps knowingly, and even wrote on the reciept, Preban magazines. Guy was a total DB.

I took a beating from Scrivener and ended up destroying the mags. Expensive mistake but one that won't be repeated

When I was a noob a gun shop sold me hi caps knowingly, and even wrote on the reciept, Preban magazines. Guy was a total DB.

I took a beating from Scrivener and ended up destroying the mags. Expensive mistake but one that won't be repeated

Remember in all this that mags aren't tracked from the mfg. They aren't regulated items in almost every other state.
If the shop says "nope, I didn't sell them". They are clean. The guy in possession has the problem.

It sucks but if you want hi caps you are better off just getting out your check book and buying some pre-bans.

Don

p.s. I was in MA recently and at a friends house. I had a bunch of .308 and 30-06 empties rolling around in my trunk from a service rifle match. He saw them and told me that I was committing a felony by having those in my trunk in MA without a FID!! Holy crap.

Last edited:
Remember in all this that mags aren't tracked from the mfg. They aren't regulated items in almost every other state.
If the shop says "nope, I didn't sell them". They are clean. The guy in possession has the problem.

It sucks but if you want hi caps you are better off just getting out your check book and buying some pre-bans.

Don

p.s. I was in MA recently and at a friends house. I had a bunch of .308 and 30-06 empties rolling around in my trunk from a service rifle match. He saw them and told me that I was committing a felony by having those in my trunk in MA without a FID!! Holy crap.

" nope I didn't sell them" doesn't fly for an excuse when they are hanging on the wall for sale.

Don't let anyone look in your trunk ;-)

And the answer to this question (emphasis mine):

C. 140 § 131M Assault Weapons Sales Ban​
No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

And if the guy has a receipt for a gun from said shop, the shop is not going to get off so easy with "I didn't sell it" as an excuse.

. I asked him if it he was worried about the 13 round mag.

Why? I go to the range to shoot, not to ask people questions about whether or not their gun or mags are legal or whatever. That's their problem, not mine.

I know a fair amount about the gun laws in MA. I see no purpose in going out of my way to interfere in someones business at the range, unless they're actually asking for my opinion. Whatever they are doing is none of my business unless it's causing an unsafe condition on the range.

-Mike

You destroyed perfectly good magazines instead of mailing them to someone in a free state? [thinking] I'm sure someone here would have paid for the postage.

-Mike

Why? I go to the range to shoot, not to ask people questions about whether or not their gun or mags are legal or whatever. That's their problem, not mine.

I know a fair amount about the gun laws in MA. I see no purpose in going out of my way to interfere in someones business at the range, unless they're actually asking for my opinion. Whatever they are doing is none of my business unless it's causing an unsafe condition on the range.

-Mike

This!

I teach a seminar about such things but even when working as RO, I do NOT police the line for illegal products (and yes, I do see some). MYOB works very well.

You destroyed perfectly good magazines instead of mailing them to someone in a free state? [thinking] I'm sure someone here would have paid for the postage.

-Mike

Yeah, in hindsite I should have, but like I said I was a noob. I posted the question here and responses had me convinced that at any minute the Gestapo was going to kick in my front door and take me away in cuffs.

I was pissed. I specifically asked the guy if he could get preban mags for my 226 in.40 ( I know, no good can come from .40 ) and he even wrote on the reciept "Preban magazines" but when I took a good look at them they were stamped .40 or .357 Sig. So, I posted the question and took a classic Scriv beating that pissed me off enough that I became a member , determined to learn and never make another stupid mistake.

The next day I showed up at the shop and flipped out on the guy. Since then I have easily spent 20k on firearms and accesories that I spent some where else.

Lighten up on the guy,he was pointing out that if caught with the mags he could got to jail. I pretty sure that no one here wants someone to go to jail over a misinterpertation of the law. Just because the guy with the mags is dumb doesn't mean he should spend what ever time in jail because he is dumb.

c4f74f64.gif

[smile] [horse] [popcorn]

I'm with the MYOB crowd. I have had this happen over a permanently attached compensator and a bayo lug that was cut off and it was very annoying to say the least. That is right up there with a FUD saying "nobody needs a rifle like that" regarding an AR, which also happened to me.

Sent from my Droid which is going to be replaced with a Galaxy Nexus very soon!

SO..... slightly off track here, If I own a gun that was made post ban and there we no mags made for it pre-ban, but somehow I find a magical high cap mag that fits and works I am ok because it's the mag that is at issue not the gun, right?

Back
Top Bottom