Help with 1911 choice

I'm finally going to jump on the 1911 bandwagon. Four Seasons is open late today and I'm headed down after work. I really like the S&W 1911DK for around $900. Can anyone offer pros and cons for this model? I like the two tone all steel construction, adj sights, skeleton hammer, and beveled well and ambi safety. Not so crazy about the flat trigger (gimmicky???). Is there an alternative model with some/all of these features, maybe for less $$$? How about a Para? Going to use it 99% at the range. TIA

Chris

chris...im purchasing a 1911 shortly myself...i was originally goo goo over the DK...then the para limited once it became compliant...however i think im going to go with the SW1911PD with the tac rail...its a 5" barrel and the due to the extra weight of the tac rail feels incredibly balanced in my hand...much more so than the previous two...and i must say that my friend got a sw1911 with the CT laser grips and that things a sweet shooter...just 2 more options for you to consider before making the purchase...good luck

The 1911DK is a great gun, I'm just not a fan of the flat trigger. IMO, you can't go wrong with any smith 1911. Great price, great gun, Lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
I am surprised that the DK is available for that money. Is not this a true PC model with a list >$2K??? I understand that the std models list for $960 or more so should be available at 80 percent of that number or $770.

As for the S&W, i have TWO std models, fixed Novak sights, McCormick parts, Wilson mags, beveled mag well (just the frame not an add-on part), and all the rest of the std features. I really like these 1911s and consider them to be the best value on the market for the money. For defense or general shooting, of course. Plus, they are very accurate and do have a decent trigger on most of them -- from the box. Mine both shoot to point of aim.

I did take out the FLGRs as I do not like them at all. Replaced with std Colt parts acquired from Gil Hebard Guns.

Good luck with whichevere model you choose.

Take a look on the SW website and see what their current offerings are.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with my 1911sc (they call it PD in the new catalog) and you can get them for less than $900 most anywhere.

1911sc1.jpg

1911sc2.jpg

The flat trigger grows on you but is a matter of taste and fit rather than being a gimick. If you were to switch triggers, you can get one by SV with changeable inserts. Everyone's finger/hand is different so you go long or short, flat or curved, or a combination. Mine is a curved top and flat bottom "Enos curve" on my widebodies. On my regular 1911, I have a long flat, which compensates for the smaller (to me) grip.

The 1911 PC I handled was nice and tight and the owner said it was as good as his full house customs. It was the one with the wave serrations. If you look at the DK and decide the additions on there are what you would add anyways, it is a good deal because ordering all those small things add up. Keep in mind, even the PCs could use a trigger job to be bring out their full potential. You are starting with very good components in the DK when you go to get one.

I have a SW1911PD with the CT Laser Grips on it i purchased about 2 months ago from Four Seasons. I took it to the range and loved it. I would recommend any Smith and Wesson 1911 to anyone. Just an all around good gun. If you live close by i would let you shoot it at the range or something so you get the feel of it if you want...

Richie

dd said:
I am surprised that the DK is available for that money. Is not this a true PC model with a list >$2K??? I understand that the std models list for $960 or more so should be available at 80 percent of that number or $770.

I just realized the DK isn't a PC gun. I thought it was for some reason. Even so, all of the standard SW 1911s I've shot have been nice and reliable.

I have been very happy with my S&W 1911, I got the base model and added the mods I wanted. fiber optic front sight, magwell, STI trigger and oversize mag release So far it has been accurate and almost 100% reliable.

I have had 5 failure to feeds, unfortunately 4 of them were during a competiton, so it may be the aftermarket mags, but this is with over 5K rounds

The DK that I shot was very nice, I didn't really feel the difference in the trigger when shooting

Never made it toFS tonight. My son's lunatic little league coach had the kids out practicing in the rain...[angry] [thinking]. Planning to go tomorrow afternoon. Now, I'm still leaning towards the DK model SW1911, but I really want a more conventional trigger. Is a trigger replacement on a 1911 a drop-in do it yourself job or do I need to send it out to a gunsmith?

Chris

ChristosX said:
Never made it toFS tonight. My son's lunatic little league coach had the kids out practicing in the rain...[angry] [thinking]. Planning to go tomorrow afternoon. Now, I'm still leaning towards the DK model SW1911, but I really want a more conventional trigger. Is a trigger replacement on a 1911 a drop-in do it yourself job or do I need to send it out to a gunsmith?

Chris

If you're going to get a S&W 1911 and are using it for target and range use then the DK is def. the way to go. Don't get the shorter version because it isn't as accurate, will take more pressure to make major. The flat trigger is a love/hate feature. Some love it some hate it. Try it out and see if it grows on you. Some people don't like it because of the way it "looks". I would try the gun for a month or so and decide then. All SW1911 could use a trigger job which you could do yourself or could pay someone short money to do for you. Many companies offer tuned drop in triggers that are great.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can help out as much as I can. A lot of us here are die hard 1911 guys.

Pete

I just got the SW1911AS (adjustable sights/ steel frame) from Ted at NE Trading about a month ago. It is one of their "normal" models. Love it, right out of the box. I was very tempted by the DK, but it was ~$200 more. The SC is a lot lighter, if you plan to carry it. But for just shooting at the range, the steel frame has a bit less recoil.

Then Edin (from this forum) bought the last DK 5 minutes before me, so my mind was made up for me. Don't worry, as I have no regrets at all.

From the answers I got (before my purchase) from a lot of people, for a first 1911, you can never go wrong with a S&W with their lifetime guarantee. You can always get the $2-3K 1911 later. Much later for me....[frown]

I found that a good/best price for a new SW1911 is about 25% less than the MSRP from their web site.

If you check the used gun pages on 4 seasons or coin collectors web site you might find some SW1911 standard models around $600 or less.

The difference between the standard model S&W 1911 and the DK model other than price are enhancements on the DK model.

Hammer, trigger, Magwell, ambi safety & rosewood grips

Difference if suggested retail is about $160. The ambi safety and mag well are more than that after market. The DK hammer is desireable, the trigger is a personal preference thing.

regards,

I love my DK !
The flat trigger was a bit strange at first but now I like it. The all black sights were strange at first to me as well but I have grown to love them as well.
The only thing I plan on doing to the gun, sending it to Santoro (sp) to get the trigger lightened up. Other than that the gun came with all of the goodies I would have wanted to replace in a standard model.

Just spent over 2 hours cleaning the damn thing the other night. She is all pretty again :)

I Got It !!!

Paddled my way down to FS today and came home with this:
108299_large.jpg

Very psyched about it. I have the 1911 bug. I was thinking about another one while driving home. Look for a full range report when the waters recede. Thanks to all for the sound advice.

Chris

Congrats on the purchase... Why didn't you get the DK1911? Was there a reason you didn't get a 5"?

Let us know how she shoots and welcome to the 1911 club. Once you're a member you'll never go back!!!!

Pete

The 1911 I got is a 5", Pete. The guys at FS told me that the main differences between the model I got and the DK were the trigger, the mag-well, and a full length guide rod. Since I did not like the DK trigger, I saved about $200 and got this one instead. I can add the mag-well and full length guide rod later if I feel that I need them. I'll be contacting you for info on these parts and installation. Thanks again.

Chris

I'm glad you got the 5" version. Looks like the pic you posted is of a 4.5" barrel. The magwell is something you can add for under $100 depending on which you you buy. It isn't something you "need" unless you do action shooting like IPSC or IDPA then it is pretty close to a "must". You'll prob. change out the trigger on this one as well when you shoot it more. The SW1911 line is great with the exception of their triggers. For someone new to the 1911 game they are great but after shooting custom guns with tuned triggers nothing compares.

For now however, don't worry about changing anything on the gun. Just shoot it is much as possible. When you start changing things around try a fiber optic front sight and a trigger job. I'm sure you're dying to shoot this gun and the wait will be well worth it. 1911's RULE!!!!!

GREAT PURCHASE...

Pete

Thanks K-D. I'm itching to go shooting. I've been playing around with my 1911 and noticed that the slide release is REALLY stiff. Does this "wear in"? Its difficult to release with two hands and nearly impossible to release with one hand. This problem seems mag related. With one mag the release is OK but with the other factory included mag I actually hurt my thumb releasing the slide. Any advice from the 1911 guys?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom