Help with 1911 choice

ChristosX said:
Any advice from the 1911 guys?

Chris

It's a simple fix... Don't use the slide release. I actually set my guns up so they don't go to slide lock. Then if I ever run the gun dry I simply rack the slide. When I load my gun I have the slide forward, insert a mag, cock the hammer (sometimes), then rack the slide. If you need to drop the slide forward simply grab the back of the slide and release. It's a better way to load because it is more positive than trying to find the small slide stop esp. when under stress.

Pete

centermass181 said:
LOVE my SW.

salesman was kinda pushy.
complaint.jpg

ChristosX said:
Thanks K-D. I'm itching to go shooting. I've been playing around with my 1911 and noticed that the slide release is REALLY stiff. Does this "wear in"? Its difficult to release with two hands and nearly impossible to release with one hand. This problem seems mag related. With one mag the release is OK but with the other factory included mag I actually hurt my thumb releasing the slide. Any advice from the 1911 guys?

Chris

I'm not an expert but my guess is that it is fine. I take it that the mag is empty, so the follower is pushing up on the slide release, doing what it is supposed to in order to lock the slide back when empty. When there are rounds in the mag the follower is pushed down in the mag and out of the way of the release.

Like Pete said a lot of us have our IPSC/Steel competition guns set up to not lock back. I only do that on my STIs though to eliminate the possibilty of locking back with a round left in the mag which is a common problem with untuned STI mags. Also, they are guns with 20+ round mags, running dry isn't probable. Anyway, having your slide lock back in Limited 10 or Singlestack won't hurt and it is pretty much mandatory in IDPA.

BTW, I bought a 5" SC SW1911 this weekend!

ChristosX said:
Thanks K-D. I'm itching to go shooting. I've been playing around with my 1911 and noticed that the slide release is REALLY stiff. Does this "wear in"? Its difficult to release with two hands and nearly impossible to release with one hand. This problem seems mag related. With one mag the release is OK but with the other factory included mag I actually hurt my thumb releasing the slide. Any advice from the 1911 guys?

Chris

If its an empty mag, you are pushing against the strength of the mag spring

I purchased a S&A magwell/MSH.. quick install
Added a oversize mag release
Then had an STI trigger and trigger job by Greg Derr, trigger is awesome now
Then I had a Brazos Lightning rod front fiber optic sight installed, the slide did need to be cut for this

But now I have a L-10 gun that I really like. shoots well and didn't break the bank

Back
Top Bottom