• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Me Pick a CC Gun

XD-S in .45

Glock 19 or M&P9c.

Agree on the XDs in 45 and G19. Also the SR9c.

4 mosin nagants and ammo

135398927934.jpg

How big/tall are you? What type of clothing do you wear? How do you want to carry the guns or gun? Do you plan on spending lots of time practicing? If semi-auto, what about spare mags?
Need more info.

I have both the Ruger SR9c and the Sig 938. Love both of them. But, as with any major purchase, do your research (more than just asking us) and try as many as you can before you buy.

Glock person: glock 26

S&W: new shield 9mm without safety

Revolver: 2" 686:)

Hk: p2000sk 9mm

Sig: 938

That should cover the basics

also, does your price include just the gun or is that all you want to spend period?
you need a good belt, holster, some of the guns mentioned need trigger jobs or night sights, etc etc

Glock person: glock 26

S&W: new shield 9mm without safety

Revolver: 2" 686:)

Hk: p2000sk 9mm

Sig: 938

That should cover the basics

Would love to see a comparison between these somewhere. They all seem to be highly reccomended at this price point, and almost every1 who owns any of these seems to be very happy with it. So I would like to see a comparison of some sort to show the differences/advantages/disadvantages between the guns.

I agree with Fixxah, we really need more info. All of these (except the Mosin[rofl]) are good suggestions (glock 26 fan myself, although I have a BG 380 in my pocket at the moment in shorts and a tucked in t shirt). It really depends (and PRACTICE! no matter what)...

I have a Free state shield 9mm, Gen 4 Glock 26, XDS-9, SR9C and I carry the shield over the rest because of the width and also the grip isn't textered as much as the G26 and XDS9.
I love the SR9c and can shoot it well but it's a Bit Bigger than the rest.

I agree with Fixxah, we really need more info. All of these (except the Mosin[rofl]) are good suggestions (glock 26 fan myself, although I have a BG 380 in my pocket at the moment in shorts and a tucked in t shirt). It really depends (and PRACTICE! no matter what)...

The 'practice' part cannot be overstated. While my pistol skills are fair with a .45, I had issues hitting much at 50 feet with my BG380. After a year and >1,000 rounds down range now I can at least put most rounds on paper at 50 feet with it. Also, the trigger gets a little better after >1,000 rounds....although I had my first FTE with it Sunday. Methinks it needs a cleanin'

Thanks for all the great posts.....:)

6' tall, 215 pounds, good shape.

The gun will be used for self defense when I am hiking or going to a less safe area.

I have had a permit for 42 years, had a FFL, and done lots of shooting.

Heck, my wife and I shot 5,000 rounds of .22 in a weekend.

The gun will be used for self defense when I am hiking or going to a less safe area.

Model 60, 2.25" in .357. Stick a CTC grip on her and you're good to go. Or go bigger with a 686 7 rounder (what I carry in the woods). on the lightly used market each can be had for your price point.

139-3947.jpg

Last edited:

Based on the comments you made in bold........you are lookng for a 357 magnum revolver .........smith 686/ruger gp100 if more toward hiking and woods carry.........ruger sp101 if more for ccw around town.........../thread [smile]

Last edited:
Get a Shield. For the price of the shield you can get night sights and a carry trigger job done and still be less than $500

Greetings!

I am in the market for a small concealed carry gun.

In the $500 range.

All inputs and experiences appreciated.

I carry both the Smith & Wesson 442 airweight snub, 5 hollow point +p rounds. Always in my pocket, and I mean ALWAYS... the perfect "always" gun...
See post #46 above by Sparky. It's the same gun but in black...the 642 is silver-matte finish, and I prefer the all black - and even more concealable - 442.
(Sparky and I also have the same holster).
I also, 80% of the time, have my Glock 26 either in another pocket, my hooded zip sweatshirt (with the inner pocket), my coat, my ankle (in a Galco AnkleLIte holster), or wherever I have a spot for it.
It's my backup "doomsday device" for when the meth head junkie at the convenience store pulled a knife and tried to stab me and I needed to draw quickly...then his meth partner crashes the party from his parked car, and wants to declare it "judgment day" with his illegal _____ (fill in the stolen gun of your choice).

Last edited:
I would say MP 45 or 45c while hiking. I own both a shield in 9 and a glock 19. Both great carry pistols. That said, I'm getting ready to trade my M&P9 and find myself and M&P45 or 45c specifically for hiking. I like the idea of having a larger caliber when hiking (coming from a lover of 9mm). For me, a modern 9mm is a great caliber. But when I think about a mama bear coming after me while on a hike, .45 just has a nice ring to it.

That said, the I hike with the Glock 19 and shield all the time. Probably won't fine a g3 or 4 for 500, but it seems the Gen 2s are going for something around that. I only carry the shield when it's really hot and I don't want to wear a cover garment. It literally disappears when you have it on.

I carry both in a crossbreed and love both for Hiking.

One note, the reduced width of the shield is slightly more comfortable on my hip when I have anything more than a daypack on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi-Point .40....

See what I just did there???

Seriously. Dont listen to what any of us have to say, go shoot everything and buy what YOU like best.

Last edited:
I carry a 1911 24/7/365. On the rare occasions I can't, I carry an S&W Chief's Special in 45. It's a DA/SA, 6+1 although I also have 8 round mags for it. Not a common gun, but I paid $400ish for mine a couple of years ago. I also once saw one in 40. If you want to try mine, drop me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom