• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me out choosing my SBR

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
So I'm late to the game but it's time to get that SBR, now if I can just find what I'm looking for.
I was going to start with a Sig MCX in 300BLK, can and red dot, but there is one thing I'd like it doesn't have. So here what I'm looking for, what do you suggest?

300BLK
AR mags
folding stock
Suppressor
Side Charging (just don't like the AR style charging handle)
Not really looking to "build" it, but if I have to do some assembly I certainly can.
NH resident so no AW concerns.

So I'm late to the game but it's time to get that SBR, now if I can just find what I'm looking for.
I was going to start with a Sig MCX in 300BLK, can and red dot, but there is one thing I'd like it doesn't have. So here what I'm looking for, what do you suggest?

300BLK
AR mags
folding stock
Suppressor
Not really looking to "build" it, but if I have to do some assembly I certainly can.

CZ 805 (Bren 1)?

CZ 805 (Bren 1)?
looks like that might be hard to find. I saw a couple in 556 but can't find a source for a 300 barrel, also looks like 11" is as short as I could go.

Until I wanted to get away from the AR style charging handle I was looking at the MCX with a 5.5" barrel, with the can that gets me out to about 11" and there is a Sig handguard that will cover most of the can. I just may have to suck it up and live with the rear charging handle.

You can get a side-charging AR upper with a reciprocating charging handle on the right side instead of the non-reciprocating handle on the left.

You can get a side-charging AR upper with a reciprocating charging handle on the right side instead of the non-reciprocating handle on the left.
but no folding stock due to the buffer tube, that adds a lot of inches.

You don't need a folding stock if you get a bullpup like the Steyr AUG

Not cheap, but the folding adapters for AR's work well. I think there is some logic to having a SBR made from mostly commonly available parts, excepting that side charge you want.

Why not just do a pistol of you are in NH?
easy
1) I like a real folding stock
2) I fully expect the whole brace isn't a stock thing to go belly up at some point, even if we get Trump. It's getting way too much attention and it's an easy target, just like bump stocks.

Don't know anything about this company, but they have a few non-reciprocating uppers listed:

Lots of reciprocating uppers out there, including Bear Creek Arsenal and AR Stoner

but no folding stock due to the buffer tube, that adds a lot of inches.

Honestly, I would just get the MCX. But...

You could get a BRN-180 upper and a Sig picatinny-stock adapter for an AR to add a true side folder:
EE953A75-4B27-4B16-9B5D-7AA6F422EF83.jpeg
65FF1B08-2696-4331-969C-D076886AF06F.jpeg
Or, Its not out yet, but you could keep an eye on the Law Tactical ARIC. It seems like you could then combine that with a New Frontier Armory/Gibbz side charging upper and a Sig picatinny-stock adapter for a true side folder.

2E6A952E-CF4E-4C05-8CDB-AA66847AA65E.jpeg

so, i do like 300BLK, a lot, but, just looking at where the wind blows now, wouldn`t it be smarter to chamber for 7.62x39mm?
it will be way more difficult to cut off all the imports, compared to domestically produced .300. even now it is much easier to find.

so, i do like 300BLK, a lot, but, just looking at where the wind blows now, wouldn`t it be smarter to chamber for 7.62x39mm?
it will be way more difficult to cut off all the imports, compared to domestically produced .300. even now it is much easier to find.

300blk is sooo much more versatile than 7.62x39. I mean, it doesn’t hurt to have a gun chambered in 7.62x39, but it wouldn’t be my primary choice.

And no, it would not be more difficult to cut off ammo imports compared to domestic cartridges. The feds can probably block imports with an executive order.

Plus, with 300blk, just put a 5.56 barrel on it if you run out of 300blk.

Which actually brings up a good point. OP, you may want to consider the 6.75” barreled 300blk MCX. It can easily be rebarreled to the longer 5.56 and longer 300blk barrels. I think the 5.5” rattler has some proprietary-ness to it.

6.75” for reference:
0A8DD110-E4B1-4571-A892-9BAF0AE40FBD.jpeg

Last edited:
looks like that might be hard to find. I saw a couple in 556 but can't find a source for a 300 barrel, also looks like 11" is as short as I could go.

Until I wanted to get away from the AR style charging handle I was looking at the MCX with a 5.5" barrel, with the can that gets me out to about 11" and there is a Sig handguard that will cover most of the can. I just may have to suck it up and live with the rear charging handle.

Yeah, I think a 300 blackout Bren 1 would be tough to source, particularly now. I think the 11" limit is due to piston system. On the up shot though, adjustable piston gas system would mean a great suppressor host (not that I would know in MA).

But if you're going in the 5.5" range, I don't think you have many pre-built options other than the MCX rattler. Q Honeybadger?

If they were to start cutting off civilian access to specific ammo, I'd expect them to start with "military" ammo. I think some countries already do this. So 556 and 762 would be gone but 300 isn't used by any military, so they would need another excuse.

If they were to start cutting off civilian access to specific ammo, I'd expect them to start with "military" ammo. I think some countries already do this. So 556 and 762 would be gone but 300 isn't used by any military, so they would need another excuse.
i absolutely expect to see an attempt to ban of all 7.62 rounds. and then, 5.56nato. it is only logical. if you cannot ban the gun - ban the ammo.
hence - a rise of 9mm chambered x95s, and AKMs that sell close to $4k...

just looking at the guntrader right now, i do not see a ton of .300 - compared to the 7.62x39. that is all i wanted to make a point of, really.

to completely cut off a world-wide supply of a 7.62x39 will be quite a trick to do, good luck with that.

And my Armalite takes .308 or 7.62.

300BLK
AR mags
folding stock
Suppressor

This is precisely the setup I want when I move to NH.

Considering new options for an AR pistol and saw this one from PSA. One big plus is it uses CZ Scorpion mags that I already have. I'm leaning toward another 9mm platform because shooting .223/5.56 is too freakin' expensive. I know PSA gets some hate on here but does anyone have first hand experience with their build quality if not this specific gun? Review are sparse but good.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-v-4-9mm-1-10-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol.html

PSA-AR-V2.jpg

Why would anyone want a right-charging AR??? Isn't the right-charging-handle the WORST feature of your standard AK pattern rifle??? I mean, the Israeli's welded a big stick on theirs so they could charge them over the top with the off-hand.

300BLK
AR mags
folding stock
Suppressor

*Puts his propeller hat on*

What you do, is you get yourself a modular lower like the MGI Hydra, you SBR the frame and then you get a quick change upper or a bunch of uppers you like.

Why? With the modular lower you can SBR any caliber you want for $200.

I think 42! is going to have a hard time checking off everything on his wish list other than building something, particularly if he wants a sub 9" barrel with .300 blackout AND also get a folding stock which would imply piston system. Kind of a unicorn. This is just a guess, but that might be because 9" is often seen as the minimum barrel length to preserve round performance for .300 blackout. But that might be moot if the goal is mainly subsonic through a can.

Too bad ACR is practically a dead platform, as that would have checked off a lot of boxes outside of the barrel length.

.... This is just a guess, but that might be because 9" is often seen as the minimum barrel length to preserve round performance for .300 blackout. But that might be moot if the goal is mainly subsonic through a can.

While the internet lore is that 300BLK gets most of its performance out of a 9” barrel, it’s not really true. Very smart people like DocGKR say 9” is a good minimum length, and it is a good length. But shorter barrels are still very effective. The original 300BLK gun for a special mission unit was 9” because that allowed it to fit nicely in existing vehicle racks when mounted with their existing 7.62 suppressors. If they didn’t have that requirement, there’s no reason it couldn’t have been less than 9”.

While the internet lore is that 300BLK gets most of its performance out of a 9” barrel, it’s not really true. Very smart people like DocGKR say 9” is a good minimum length, and it is a good length. But shorter barrels are still very effective. The original 300BLK gun for a special mission unit was 9” because that allowed it to fit nicely in existing vehicle racks when mounted with their existing 7.62 suppressors. If they didn’t have that requirement, there’s no reason it couldn’t have been less than 9”.

If I cared about such things, the dudes shooting 300blk at actual people are doing it with barrels a bit shorter then 9".

Back
Top Bottom