Help me decide on a new gun/scope combo.

I've been looking around, I think I'm down to remington 700 vs savage 10 series guns.
This gun will be used primarily for hunting and 200-600 yard target shooting once I get that good.
This will be my first year hunting.
I've been geared towards a .308 seeing as its pretty versatile for both purposes.
The scopes I've been looking at are Leopold and Nikon.

My budget at this time is up to 1800$ but down the road I will have a large amount of money in the next few months to upgrade accordingly so at this point I'm looking to keep it as cheap as possible maybe even a hunting specific rifle then getting something for tack driving. Any input greatly appreciated I'm very open to caliber ranges/ rifles but would prefer to not use some fancy round that costs 2$ each lol.

If I can keep this cheap enough I can buy my AR an eotech lol.

Both Remington and Savage choices here: New Long Guns at Four Seasons in Woburn, MA

Either way, I'd say get .270, .30-06. or .308 for deer. If you think you might see a bear, maybe .300 Win, but those others should do just fine for N.E. black bear. Moose, you might want a bit more also. Don't overlook lever actions for hunting.

Super Snipers are the best bang for the buck. However, they are fixed zoom rather than variable.

Not any more....

SWFA SS MRAD Scopes

I've got one of their 5-20x50s on a Savage 10 - excellent scope. 1-6x24 on the way as of today, too. Can't wait to see that one.

I'm a fan of Savage rifles. Swapping barrels/calibers is about a half hour job at home, rather than needing a trip to a gunsmith. I started with them because they had more options for lefties, and haven't seen a reason to switch yet. I will freely admit that Savage doesn't build a pretty rifle, though.

Not any more....

SWFA SS MRAD Scopes

I've got one of their 5-20x50s on a Savage 10 - excellent scope. 1-6x24 on the way as of today, too. Can't wait to see that one.

I meant they don't have any cheap variable scopes. I knew they had variable scopes, but its going to cost you double or triple what the fixed super snipers cost.

If only the had one of their $400 super snipers with a variable power option.

Now I know nothing about what I need to mount the scope my rem 700 is tapped but has no base plate what do I need to mount the scope? View attachment 60895

You need a 700 scope base rail. You can buy them online or at some gun stores. I got mine at StateLine.

You want quality rings with your scope and base. A Millet TRS-1 or LRS-1 are pretty decent affordable options.

The scope I want is stainless so is need stainless mount and rings are leupold rings and baseplates good?
If some one wants to link me exactly what I need to get it would be much appreciated I have no idea what I'm looking at lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364592419.967997.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364592450.970416.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364592467.501460.jpg
Scopes awesome rifles awesome thanks every one for your input and getting me to where I am now with the rifle. Now lets see if I can group sub Moa at 100 yards lol.

That Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter in .17 Hornet looks like a really good deal, and a nice looking gun to boot. Put on a good 4X scope, and you are all set for coyote, fox, and bobcat; and would have a great target gun as well.

I searched high and low when pricing my Nikon M-223, and found a place with BY FAR the best prices - better than opticsplanet, cabelas, and even amazon. check out:

Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more.

Those guys DO have some good prices!

Edit: Throw this scope on that Savage 25: Burris 2.75x20 Scout Hvy Plx Mat - 200269

Combines the best of 2 good recommendations!! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom