• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me choose my new rifle

I bought a Sport this past week for around 600. While I have not shot it, I did a lot of research. S&W cut corners - no dust cover or forward assist, Melonite barrel, and a cardboard box, but from what I have read the first two are hardly necessary and the Melonite coating is just fine.
Melonited barrel is cutting corners? Do you know what Melonite does?

The impression I got from some reviews was that Melonite was strong, but not as strong as I guess the traditional chrome lining. I did read that has some advantages though, supposedly more accurate. If you have a different take on it, by all means, inform me. I joined here to learn.

Get yourself a nice AR you will be happy with it. An AK will soon makes its way into your safe anyhow :)

Note I DO NOT wish to get into an AR vs AK debate which has been done over and over and over again.

I wasn't gonna do it because the OP posted the above statement but I have to add here before you Lego build kids poison his mind any further. [grin]

The only benefit you're going to get over buying the M&P 15 is better accuracy.

AK47 surplus magazines are cheap and feed reliably with no modifications to them unlike AR Mags, both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 are still cheap at around $200 for a case, AKs will run in any condition, if you want to you can strip an AK down to its bare conponents and accessorize the hell out of it cheaper than what you would an AR, If you accidentally drop a WASR10 its no big deal.

And as long as you're not dangerous, people will still respect you at a range if you're shooting an out of the box WASR10. If they don't, you can use your AK like a club to smash the hell out of their AR until its in pieces and your AK will still shoot just fine.[devil]

Are you short and stocky?
Like Cossack stocky?
As in you probably suffered from malnuritionment from a steady diet of watered down potato soup and weevils stocky ?
Have you, or any immediate family member, ever spent time forcibly mining diamonds in some Western African shithole?
Or laying bricks in a Gulag?
Do you refer to your native country as The Motherland?
Are you a member of some unpronounceable clan that swears fealty to a despot, dictator, or warlord?
Does your SHTF kit include flip flops and a personal floatation device?
Do you and your 13 underage burqa wearing wives sit around in your mud hut waiting for the satellite phone to ring with instructions from Ahmed to blow yourselves up when you're not busy humping goats?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then the AK is for you.

If you love Big Macs, boobies, apple pie, Jack Daniels, the Stars & Stripes, your mother, and all that is good and proper in this world, then go with the AR.

^THIS :)

http://youtu.be/FSBZAIQ_3C8

Last edited:
I wasn't gonna do it because the OP posted the above statement but I have to add here before you Lego build kids poison his mind any further. [grin]

The only benefit you're going to get over buying the M&P 15 is better accuracy.

AK47 surplus magazines are cheap and feed reliably with no modifications to them unlike AR Mags, both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 are still cheap at around $200 for a case, AKs will run in any condition, if you want to you can strip an AK down to its bare conponents and accessorize the hell out of it cheaper than what you would an AR, If you accidentally drop a WASR10 its no big deal.

And as long as you're not dangerous, people will still respect you at a range if you're shooting an out of the box WASR10. If they don't, you can use your AK like a club to smash the hell out of their AR until its in pieces and your AK will still shoot just fine.[devil]

Hey Dontdrivedrunk,
Listen to SKS ray a great example for you to see for yourself how reliable the AK platform can be is to check out the Porsche Shoot video. Right at the beginning at about 12 seconds in the camera zooms into some dude with a ponytail. For some reason he just can’t seem to get a shot off with his AK style gun.
Just busting balls Ray I love AK's.

Last edited:
I am faced with a similar decision to make.

I looked around at AR's and I found a number of different upper and lower combinations I would be satisfied with, especially in MA, where I am not too thrilled about non-functioning collapsing stocks. Choosing an AR would be fairly straightforward.

However, this changes when I look at MA-legal AKs and variants. I am finding it quite difficult to find AK manufacturers that sell explicitly MA-legal models. So, how does one go about buying something like this, the AK-103K:

http://www.ak-103.com/rifles.html

The compensator is permanently attached. So, in order to have it shipped to MA, I would just need the manufacturer to remove the bayonet lug and remove the 30 round magazine? Right?

At this point in my search for an AK, I would rather order an AK instead of relying on the supply of shoddy WASRs I can find locally. This is reasonable, no? Are there any common MA-legal AKs that someone can recommend that I have not discovered?

Last edited:
I am faced with a similar decision to make.

I looked around at AR's and I found a number of different upper and lower combinations I would be satisfied with, especially in MA, where I am not too thrilled about non-functioning collapsing stocks. Choosing an AR would be fairly straightforward.

However, this changes when I look at MA-legal AKs and variants. I am finding it quite difficult to find AK manufacturers that sell explicitly MA-legal models. So, how does one go about buying something like this, the AK-103K:

http://www.ak-103.com/rifles.html

The compensator is permanently attached. So, in order to have it shipped to MA, I would just need the manufacturer to remove the bayonet lug and remove the 30 round magazine? Right?

At this point in my search for an AK, I would rather order an AK instead of relying on the supply of shoddy WASRs I can find locally. This is reasonable, no? Are there any common MA-legal AKs that someone can recommend that I have not discovered?

You can order one right now. Got a credit card? Go to..... http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx
Choose Brand Arsenal. Choose model you want
Pick 4 seasons or GFA Arms Tech to ship it to and you will have it in a few days. I've used Gun Genie and was very satisfied. Enjoy

Hey Dontdrivedrunk,
Listen to SKS ray a great example for you to see for yourself how reliable the AK platform can be is to check out the Porsche Shoot video. Right at the beginning at about 12 seconds in the camera zooms into some dude with a ponytail. For some reason he just can’t seem to get a shot off with his AK style gun.
Just busting balls Ray I love AK's.

I was waiting for someone to bring it up.[laugh]

Let it be known and written in stone that its because I re-installed the bolt hold open feature on my Saiga 12. Its a device that is not suppposed to be there and the springs are prone to breaking. Just so happens mine broke after I locked back the bolt and went up for the first line.[sad2]

Functioned great after I tore it out though.[smile]

Porsche_shoot-2011_0482.jpg

Hey all, thank you for all of the input. I just want to make a few quick comments. It seems that in alot of the posts about the awesomeness of the ARs come from their own experience with their own pimped out $1000+ rifles and comparing it to the el cheapo WASR. However I simply cannot afford this at this time. I am looking for input exclusively for the WASR (or similar priced AK) and the M&P15 Sporter (or similar priced AR).

To the posts that suggest that AKs are for "unAmerican" people, that is totally ridiculous. What is more American than private ownership of an assault rifle of any form? Im willing to bet George Washington would have strapped up with an AK if he had the chance.

Thank you SKS Ray for steering us away from the age old AK vs AR debate. I want this to be a WASR vs M&P15 Sporter debate

Anywho, I took a real close look at a WASR at the muni range today after work. I didn't shoot it but it did look kinda cheap. I could see how thin the stamped metal is. Should I be concerned about that?

I also know that S&W has to cut corners to produce an "every man's" rifle but they still offer the lifetime warranty on it correct?

I apologize that this response is rushed, I have alot to do today.

Gentlemen

I wouldn't worry about the size of the receiver metal. Theres not a whole lot going on in there that needs a beefy receiver. Even Russia stopped producing milled receivers when they realized they didn't need them. The majority of the strength is relied upon by the trunnion and barrel which are thick and strong.

If the WASR quality concerns you, do like I mentioned and check out the many other options you have in an AK style rifle. Hit as many shops as you can and see what they have to offer.

I couldn't afford one done by the Las Vegas gun monkeys so I built my own using a Saiga 7.62x39 and some parts from CSS.[smile]

100_1549a.jpg

I'll give You $500.00 and an ear for that. Not my ear. [wink]

Dude that's sweet. You could corner the market building those.

Seriously that's effing awesome.

Back
Top Bottom