Help me choose my new rifle

Hello friends,

I decided I would like to buy an "entry" level semi auto rifle. The two rifles I have been eyeing are the WASR (ak 47 clone) and the S&W m&p15 sporter (ar 15). Right now price seems to be a nonissue. I just logged on and noticed somebody else is discussing the m&p though I don't want to hijack his thread.

Anywho I have shot both rifle types, though not back to back (which I would have liked) and I am leaning towards the ak 47, mostly because of aesthetics.

Can anybody offer some constructive imput? Note I DO NOT wish to get into an AR vs AK debate which has been done over and over and over again.

I suppose I am asking is the M&p15 such a good rifle that I should go against my instincts?

If accuracy past 100 is not a criteria then go with the AK.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I own both an AR and AK (a noveske and polytech), so I like both platforms. However, if I could only keep one,it would be the AR for sure.

I know some people are very fast at changing mags on AKs, but for me, I'm much faster with the AR. I know some people don't mind that the AK doesn't stay open after the last round (i.e. when you are out of ammo you find out when you hear a click instead of a bang) but, for me, this is a big deal. I also hate AK sights - so I've had to spend some $ to be able to mount optics on my AK. This is not an issue with the flattop AR. My AR is also much more accurate than my AK and I think, in general, this is true.

I don't know much about the sporter, I think it's a little cheaper because the barrel is not chrome lined? But, I owned an WASR and while it never malfunctioned, it was really rough around the edges. It would be a good gun to bury in the garden for the end of the world, but not the most fun weapon to shoot at the range.

If I would you, I would troll the classifies - lots of good deals out there.

SHTF Gun and plinking....I'd go with the AK....

Just a shooting rifle......I'd go with the AR...it's got more accessories, configurations, barrels, mounts....so you can change things. Add things, increase accuracy, etc....

I have both and they are worlds apart as far as fit/finish goes......but both are reliable and you can't go wrong with either. Depends on what your end game is.

Last edited:
Unless you say what you want to do with it, just get the one that looks cool to you.

B

Good point,

I want a rifle that is rugged and will be useful to have around when a really REALLY awful situation comes around. However mostly the rifle will be used at the shooting range for good ol' fun and entertainment and locked unloaded in the safe at night.

Again, does anybody have any first hand experience with the sporter? Is it really just a hoot, enough to sway me away from the AK? I've read alot of posts about WASRs being real POS rifles but I take it with a grain of salt. Im pretty sure I could find a forum which bashes every make and model of firearm.

100 what. Yards , feet, inches ???
Millimeters, of course! Generally accepted lingo would be yards. Not many ranges marked in feet. 100 yd, 300 yd, 500 yd. 1000yd. just like looking at a scope and bullet drop is in yds.

As far as a reliable fun rifle, get a Garand, own a piece of history and have something that will shoot the lights out with irons. Ammo is not that bad pricewise from CMP either.

Last edited:
My grandfather has a Garand and seeing as I am his hands down favorite grandchild, someday I shall have it!

Lets keep it to the two aforementioned weapons please. Don't get me wrong I would love to have an AUG, and a G36 and a M14 and a FS2000 and such... however finances do not allow it at this time.

cheers

Says the guy with a cat picture for an avatar

haha

Go with the AR.... There's endless options and it's more accurate.

The only thing the AK has going for it is reliability (but AR's have that) and it's a little more powerful than an AR.

I think you'd be happier with an AR, and the more massive capability will keep you happier much longer, aka you won't get bored, i don't know which model specifically you mean as it goes for the sporter, but i shoot a high quality one for service rifle matches, and i picked the M&P up at a store, and when i went to pull the charging handle, it made the worst screech i've ever heard from a gun, and put it back down. sig's recent AR's are a dream and i don't think they cost to much more, but quite frankly i don't remember the price tag. of course you could build one, or just piece one together. on gunbroker you can get a lower for around $300 and an upper for $700ish. and then you just click them together. and they prob would be better than the M&P function wise.

Good point,

I want a rifle that is rugged and will be useful to have around when a really REALLY awful situation comes around. However mostly the rifle will be used at the shooting range for good ol' fun and entertainment and locked unloaded in the safe at night.

Again, does anybody have any first hand experience with the sporter? Is it really just a hoot, enough to sway me away from the AK? I've read alot of posts about WASRs being real POS rifles but I take it with a grain of salt. Im pretty sure I could find a forum which bashes every make and model of firearm.

Get an AK. Buy a converted Saiga if you're worried about the quality of a WASR. For the money you'll spend on an AR, you can buy a Mass compliant Arsenal Inc AK and have a hell of a well built rifle. Both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 (if you want less recoil and better accuracy) are at around $200 for a 1,000 round case of non corrosive ammo. If you're handy with tools you can get a Saiga AK for under $400 and spend another $150 and do a basic conversion yourself.

I'm guessing you are in Massachusetts. If you're not there is an even wider assortment of AK variants out there for you.

Get a quality AR15 lower, order a Bravo Company upper and bolt/carrier group and enjoy a rugged, reliable rifle that no AK could ever hope to match in terms of accuracy.

Your going to have fun shooting either one and you will feel the need to own both eventually. However if you are just looking to go to the range occasionally and don't really care about whether you will be putting every shot through the same bull’s-eye hole then I would go with whichever rifle is cheaper. (NIB, the WASR-10 should be a few $100 cheaper, if not try to find another dealer.)

If it’s important to you that people at the range notice your rifle and you want them to think "That guy’s gun is f-ing sweet" then go with an AR. There are tons of accessories which will allow you to customize the looks of it . A WASR-10 with it's unfinished wood looks like a piece of shit gun. You won't be getting any complements and in fact people might think you are poor and they might not want poor people at their range. That’s only if you don’t finish the wood. The good news is that can be easily fixed.
Ceteris paribus if you plan on finishing the wood, say in a reddish color, then your WASR-10 will have that classic AK look. Just finishing the wood should earn you some respect at the range. If money is tight buying a can of wood stain is cheaper than buying some accessories to make your AR standout.
That brings us to Ammo…. the cheap brands of ammo can be found for about the same price at Wal-Mart $4.99 vs. $5.97. However the cheap stuff goes quick and if you fail to seek out deals you might find yourself stuck paying $5.00 more a box for 7.62 vs.223. Good Luck

Is it bad that when I saw the thread title, I read it as "Help me choose my new wife" and immediately thought "wrong forum"? [wink]

Id go with the M&P 15 Sporter its affordable, accessories like crazy, the iron sights are better. Plus comparing weight of the 5.56 to the 7.62 the 5.56 is a lighter round so you can carry more for the zombie apocolypse [smile]

I bought a Sport this past week for around 600. While I have not shot it, I did a lot of research. S&W cut corners - no dust cover or forward assist, Melonite barrel, and a cardboard box, but from what I have read the first two are hardly necessary and the Melonite coating is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom