• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me choose a multitool

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
I am looking to buy a multitool for EDC. I like the idea of having access to more than just a knife, the pliers will come in handy often...BUT as I look to see what is out there, I see a bunch of crap. I don't want mini scissors, or a friggin nail file or a goddam toothpick. Pliers, a knife with half serrated blade, screwdrivers and i'm not really sure what else, and although I know you get what you pay for, this is being carried for convenience, not to save my life. So im not looking to spend alot, i'd like to keep it around $50.

Any recommendations?

PS: I've searched already, and I'm more than capable of reading reviews online, but i'm looking for real world suggestions from someone who carries one here.

I've had a Leatherman Wave for many years and I can tell you I would never pay a bunch of money for tons of additional tools. On mine I use the pliers and knife all the time. Very rarely I use the phillips head screwdriver. Anything beyond that for me is a nice to have and not a requirement.

Gerber--great quality for the price (this one's $47)

310z4Y5FAgL._SY355_.jpg

Looks like (all?) Leathermans are made in Oregon.

Only some Gerber multi tools are made in the USA, some are made in China.

I've had a Leatherman PST II for I don't know how many years. It's worn through two leather sheaths so far. The latest is nylon and seems to hold up much better.

I used to think guys who had multi tolls were douche bags. Then my sister-in-law got me one for Christmas one year. Mine gets used multiple times per day, every day.

For more tools I like my Leatherman PST. I also have a Charge Ti tool that I like. For something that's more bare-bones, the Skeletool is great (I have the CX model). Don't think you can get any of those for around $50 though. Maybe the standard Skeletool could be had for your budget range (Amazon link). You can add more driver bits to the setup to expand what it comes with.

Leatherman Wave or Juice S2. I've carried my Juice S2 in my pocket for more than 10 years and it gets used everyday. My Wave is about 15 years old and I really like it but I prefer pocket sized to belt holster sized multi tools so the Wave only gets worn in the woods.

Gerber--great quality for the price (this one's $47)

310z4Y5FAgL._SY355_.jpg

I've got a Gerber like this one. My wife bought it at wallyworld about ten years ago and it has rendered good service. Not an everyday tool but very handy in my office desk or my range bag.

I would, and probably should, buy another.

Jack

Gerber Crucial.

Same size as the little knife I used to carry, but has pliers/screwdrivers. (though I have no idea why I'd ever need a seatbelt cutter...)

Anything not SOG. I had/have one of those and two parts have broken within two years, and it was a pretty good model.

I've rotated between two Leatherman Super Tools for close to 20 years. If one breaks I just send it back to Leatherman and they send back a brand new one. The regular Super Tool has been discontinued so the last time I sent one in they sent back a Super Tool 300. I use mine every day and it lives in a Leatherman combo sheath which also holds an LED Mini Mag Light.

I carry a multitasker series 3 on my shooting kit, i love that thing, probably the best one I've owned to date, expensive though.

Gerbers feel cheap to me, but the black diesel one i have hasn't failed me yet.

I carry a multitasker series 3 on my shooting kit, i love that thing, probably the best one I've owned to date, expensive though.

Gerbers feel cheap to me, but the black diesel one i have hasn't failed me yet.

Yup. Multitasker is on my list to buy... although its out of OP price range, they look amazing

The only thing I don't like about the letherman skeletool is that it doesn't have a good positive knob on the knife blade to flip it open easily one-handed.
That's why I prefer the Gerber.

The only thing I don't like about the letherman skeletool is that it doesn't have a good positive knob on the knife blade to flip it open easily one-handed.
That's why I prefer the Gerber.

Don't need the knob on it. It has a cut-out in the blade to use instead. If you're dismissing the tool over that single 'reason' you need to reconsider.

I did get the CX version when I bought mine. Better blade steel (154CM) and carbon fiber for the handles. Plus the pocket clip on it makes it stupid easy to carry. The carbon fiber option means it weighs less too.

Don't need the knob on it. It has a cut-out in the blade to use instead. If you're dismissing the tool over that single 'reason' you need to reconsider.

I did get the CX version when I bought mine. Better blade steel (154CM) and carbon fiber for the handles. Plus the pocket clip on it makes it stupid easy to carry. The carbon fiber option means it weighs less too.

I realize what it has... I own a CX and stopped using it in favor of the gerber for that reason. If you've got gloves on, or your hands are frozen, that stupid notch in the blade is useless in my experience.

YMMV.

I carry an SOG Power Assist with me at work and it's never failed me. Use it three to four times a day for a bunch of different tasks. Going on a year and a half with it

I didn't read the other pages OR posts.

Victorinox Swiss tool - I've been using mine for well over 15 + yrs?! Whatever year they came out - that is when I got mine. Robust and tools lock in position. IMHO, everything else that I have seen is a toy, LOL. It is full sized and heavy because it was made to be really used/abused.

Back
Top Bottom