help! i effed up my gun

so...while getting out of my car today my keltec p32 fell out of my pants pocket and onto the ground...i picked it up and thought it was fine until i looked at the muzzle...there is a gouge on both the muzzle and outermost part of the barrel...after screaming spitting and swearing for a little bit i calmed down...i know these guns are rare as hell in MA and i was wonderig what i should do...if i ship it to keltec with they fix the muzzle and replace the barrel? can a gunsmith help out? anyone know??? i was ready to cry when i saw what i did to the gun [sad2]

If there is a good dent in the muzzle, I would say that you will most likely have to replace the barrel. I don't think a warranty would cover this, and I would think that you should be able to buy a new barrel directly from KelTec and put it in yourself.

Now, if the dent is not touching or deforming the actual end of the bore, the dent may be simply cosmetic, and not effect performance. But, you should check the barrel under magnification, because hardened steel is brittle, and it could have resulted in a crack.

After this is all said and done, buy yourself a pocket holster for this gun. First, it is not safe to carry a gun in your pocket without one. Leaving your pistol in your pocket with the trigger exposed like that is just asking for trouble. There are TONS of stories all over the net about people doing that, and the gun discharging. Second, it will keep the gun where it's supposed to be, and in a position that is ready for draw.

adam thanks for the advice...the gun has the belt clip holster on it but i guess it wasnt much good at holding it in my pocket...ill have to look into a pocket holster

blood hound: It depends upon how deep the gouge is. A gunsmith can recrown a barrel for $50 or so -- it's quick and easy. If that's all it takes, then you're good to go.

I'd take by a local gunsmith first and see what he says.

Call kelTek and order a new barrel. Y9ou can order any part from them except the numbered part of the frame. People do it all the time. Cost is $90-$110 depending on what finish you want. Prices may have gone up, but here is a Price List

Be sure to "Fluff and Buff" the new barrel.

Also, check out these holsters:

Hedley Holsters

Not very expensive, and work great.

Last edited:
blood hound said:
so...while getting out of my car today my keltec p32 fell out of my pants pocket and onto the ground...i picked it up and thought it was fine until i looked at the muzzle...there is a gouge on both the muzzle and outermost part of the barrel...after screaming spitting and swearing for a little bit i calmed down...i know these guns are rare as hell in MA and i was wonderig what i should do...if i ship it to keltec with they fix the muzzle and replace the barrel? can a gunsmith help out? anyone know??? i was ready to cry when i saw what i did to the gun [sad2]

You should sell the gun to me and I'll take care of it for you...

[devil]

If the crown(the inside edge of the barrel where the rifling ends) is damaged, then it needs to be recrowned or replaced. If it is just the outside of the barrel, then sans there being a crack, the damage is just cosmetic.

its the outside of the barrel...just a tiny lil gouge...no crack that i can see...im more worried about the slide area around the muzzle...the is a gouge on the metal there...thats what i'm most concerned about...i know its only a cosmetic thing but its botherin the hell out of me

07_07_2.jpg

07_07_0.jpg

07_07_1.jpg

07_07_3.jpg

you guys think theres hope to fix it????

Oh man Blood Hound that really sucks. The old adage of better safe then sorry comes to mind here. I'd definitely get it checked out by a gunsmith or see if you can send those pictures to Kel-Tec to get their advise. While you may not see a crack, it doesn't mean it's not there.

Looks to me as though it is just cosmetic. If it was on the inside edge of the barrel, then it could affect accuracy. But it's on the outside edge, where it would not touch the bullet. As long as the gun is still reliable, then it's just cosmetic.

I'd get it checked out

That looks like it took a pretty significant blow to take off that much material. It might have deformed the barrel at the muzzle, and its already a pretty tight fit down the barrel for the bullet. I'd get it checked out before firing again...

...or use a long string to pull the trigger...

Why do people worry about what their carry guns look like? A carry gun is going to take abuse. All that real matters is how it works. No way your going to carry a gun for years and have nothing happen to it.. It looks like a working gun should now.

I trust my life with my beaten up carry gun, a Black 457 that I love because it wasn't a fancy looking gun when it was new and I don't have to worry about it and it always go's bang. Just because a gun is dinged up it shouldn't effect it's use.

I leave my real nice looking guns in the safe for the range..so all you have to do now is buy a new one for the safe..Deduct the cost of a new barrel and slide and it won't cost much more.

WHOA! Thats quit the chunk for a 3ft drop. Sure you didn't tell a friend to go long and gave it a "Hail Mary"?

Realy though, I doubt that outer most part of the barrel sees much stress if at all. The more worrying part to me is that it chipped so easily, but it may be normal.

M1911 said:
Looks to me as though it is just cosmetic. If it was on the inside edge of the barrel, then it could affect accuracy. But it's on the outside edge, where it would not touch the bullet. As long as the gun is still reliable, then it's just cosmetic.
+1

I'd look into a holster though. I'm also going to look at those holster links. I have a plastic one, which I strongly dislike. I guess I should sell it on here.

Back
Top Bottom