Hearing date for one gun a month bill set.

I just got a reply from Rep Lewis Evangelidis saying he will "oppose Governor Patrick's proposal each step of the way." Was impressed with his response!

He's the only one who replied to me too.

For the others, I got half "out of office" replies. (Don't these people work? Oh right...)

here is his reply as i received it:

RE: House Bill 4102‏

From: Evangelidis, Lewis - Rep. (HOU) ([email protected])
Sent: Mon 7/13/09 8:45 AM
To: hobbit

Good Morning,
I assure you that I will oppose Governor Patrick's proposal each step of the way. I wonder when Beacon Hill will recognize that by further restricting the responsible gun owners we will not achieve any reductions in gun violence?

Thanks again for reaching out to me and I hope you had a great weekend,

Lew

I just got a reply from Rep Lewis Evangelidis saying he will "oppose Governor Patrick's proposal each step of the way." Was impressed with his response!

I got that response from him also. His email reads as follows:

Good Morning,

I assure you that I will oppose Governor Patrick's proposal each step of the way. I wonder when Beacon Hill will recognize that by further restricting the responsible gun owners we will not achieve any reductions in gun violence?

Thanks again for reaching out to me and I hope you had a great weekend,

Lew

I wished I lived in his district. [sad]

EDIT: Sorry, the Hobbit beat me to it!

So if this passes, does that mean after july 14, it would only be 1 gun a month in MA?

No. It'd still have to go through all the motions of a normal bill, get voted on, etc. If passes the house and senate, then Uhaul
patrick would sign it, and there would probably be some window of time before enforcement, unless they put in some kind of "emergency" provision in the bill to make it effective sooner.

-Mike

I seriously wish I could attend, although I would leave the speeches and pointed talking to the ones who are so much more able to navigate the endless stream of smoke screens, and loathesome blabber, of an inefectual and over bloated government such as our great Commonwealth. I can only hope, that some how, with out the world coming to an end, that all the people at GOAL and selected speakers for our cause, can some how, some way, show these people in our local government, that the ideas coming from the corner office on Becon Hill, are nothing more than less effective regulations, set to punish those of us who have done nothing wrong. They are nothing more than a mark on a political check list, so when voting season comes upon us again (sigh), they can say they did something to curb gun violence, when all they have done was to punish those who faithfully upheld their end of the bargin, and ran the rats race to follow all the laws and regulations set forth. Rather than giving the citizens of Massachusetts the power to think for them selves, enpower people to stand and defend them selves and those who mean the most to them, to trust their citizens to defend against injustice against his fellow man.They continue to play Mommy Dearest, and spout that they know what is best for us all, yet none seem to be able to solve the most basic things of all. Rather than share in the power of a free people, they want to think that they can bottle it up, and sip from the glass as they deem proper, and try to give us a sense of protected status, and that they truly care for our well being. I am sad in the knowlege that in a state where freedom was born over 200 years ago, where we stood against the tyrants of old England and it's King, that the very people elected to defend our rights, and serve us, who like so many before them, have now started to become the evil our for fathers fought so hard to rid the people of. The power of greed and fortune, have diluted their purpose, to protect the rights of common citizens, and drive the final nails into the coffin of what was once known as freedom. One can only hope, that a light will shine today as a great people, and freedom loving group put them selves at the mercy of the new tyrants, and we can hope for victory, for we know, today, any victory will come at a price. May god bless our troops, the ones who will look the beast in the mouth today ,who fight for the freedom that our govenor wishes to destroy. My thoughts will be with you all, and thank you for defending my rights. May God bless America Again.

Well, despite the complete lack of info on what is going on, I am heading down there on a whim. There were no updates from GOAL yesterday to remind people and try to get people down there. No tweets, just one update here, no other comm whatsoever. I sent my emails and made some calls. I can only surmise we aren't needed there but am going anyway... I am tad confused as to what is needed, so there will be a warm body in the room at the very least.

I got an email from someone looking to go but who didn't know where to park. The best place to park if you are not familiar with the area is under the commons at the lot there. It is about ~$33 for more than 2 hours so it won't be cheap. You can also park in the lot across from government center on the corner of tremont, cambridge and court streets. That is also called center plaza. Same price as the commons. It is actually a shorter walk but it is tough to find so stick with the commons if you aren't in boston a lot. If you park under the commons park to the far left cross corner (in relation to the entrance) which will be closest to the state house.

The most depressing moment for me was actually during some young woman's testimony. What she said was essentially (I'm paraphrasing here) "We have really tough gun control laws in this state, but it clearly isn't working, so we need more gun control laws."

Isn't one definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results?

The most depressing moment for me was actually during some young woman's testimony. What she said was essentially (I'm paraphrasing here) "We have really tough gun control laws in this state, but it clearly isn't working, so we need more gun control laws."

Isn't one definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results?

another is living in MA! [laugh] I must be nuttier than squirrel turds to stay in this state!

somebody should have thrown something at her.

See my post above. This was just a hearing.

-Mike

Correct, and for those that don't understand - this means that it has to be released from the committee to the floor of one of the houses - unless it's a CMR (regulation). Once it's released from the committee (for bills) and makes it to the floor, it will then be voted on and, if passed, sent to the other house for a vote.

Sometimes it take 2 Mike. [grin]

I think I got it. I thought it could get squashed or held up in committee so it would never be voted on. So, it has passed to the house?

I think I got it. I thought it could get squashed or held up in committee so it would never be voted on. So, it has passed to the house?

There is the possibility that it doesn't get released from committee, which usually means death of the bill when it's not released. But once relleased, it then has to be brought to the floor for a vote by the leadership. If that happens, THEN it's voted on.

[grin]

Nope, it was just a hearing. They will, at a later date and probably behind closed doors, vote on whether to let it out of committee.

I remember from watching the John Adams series, that they all would boo, or hit their canes on the floor or something when they disagreed with someone. She should have gotten a bronx cheer or at least a lot of coughing and throat clearing. For the record, coughing and throat clearing works, REALLY.

Back
Top Bottom