• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of budget does the AG office have? Who approves it? Who approves the spending there?

I remember being told that you worked for a local gov't! That being the case, I am really surprised that you have no clue how gov'ts run or how budgets get approved!!

- No idea how big her budget is, but you should do the reading and get back to us on this. It's in the Annual Budget passed by the legislature and signed by the governor each year. It's a bill that is searchable online. Shouldn't be hard for you to find.

- Approval: legislature and signature by the governor.

- Spending within budget is approved by the head of the agency . . . Healey in this case.

Probably approved by Faker Baker.

Only indirectly. See my answer above.

...- Approval: legislature and signature by the governor.

- Spending within budget is approved by the head of the agency . . . Healey in this case.

This is what I might have guessed. The legislature can control her budget, then, but probably not until the next cycle. I imagine all these lawsuits must be extremely costly. That is what I wanted to point out. I guess I also wanted to make it clear that Baker could, if he wanted to, use that same control.

This is what I might have guessed. The legislature can control her budget, then, but probably not until the next cycle. I imagine all these lawsuits must be extremely costly. That is what I wanted to point out. I guess I also wanted to make it clear that Baker could, if he wanted to, use that same control.

As if it matters. This is all monopoly money to .gov

It's a pot of money and how it gets spent is up to the management of that branch of gov't, so Healey gets to choose where to use her budget . . . prosecute A or prosecute B. She doesn't report to anyone. Also if she uses mostly internal resources, those lawyers are on salary. It's only when she hires external law firms that it costs direct $$ from her budget.

It's a pot of money and how it gets spent is up to the management of that branch of gov't, so Healey gets to choose where to use her budget . . . prosecute A or prosecute B. She doesn't report to anyone. Also if she uses mostly internal resources, those lawyers are on salary. It's only when she hires external law firms that it costs direct $$ from her budget.

So she could theoretically maintain a rolling cycle of lawsuits indefinitely while using only internal department resources? Even completely defunding the AG's office couldn't shut her down? Christ that might be the most distressing thing I've ever heard.

So she could theoretically maintain a rolling cycle of lawsuits indefinitely while using only internal department resources? Even completely defunding the AG's office couldn't shut her down? Christ that might be the most distressing thing I've ever heard.

No, completely defunding her would make those salaried lawyers unemployed .... She can only spend up to what she has budgeted, that includes salaries.

However, she still has limited capacity to manage all the gun lawsuits as well as other AG business. I could see her office overwhelmed by all the fights she is picking.

How are all these gun law suits helping the citizens of Mass.? There are better ways to use these resources for sure.

However, she still has limited capacity to manage all the gun lawsuits as well as other AG business. I could see her office overwhelmed by all the fights she is picking.

How are all these gun law suits helping the citizens of Mass.? There are better ways to use these resources for sure.

And this is in itself a path to victory. Expose her for the ideologue trainwreck that she is (the Exxon prosecution and other non-prosecutions should be components of her incompetence), make all her employees question why they're spending so much of their precious time working so hard for things that are fictitious political straw men, and let the MA party leadership see how bad of a manager she truly is.

The only trick is to do it before she's promoted to the national stage. So the embarrassment definitely needs to have a national aspect.

When I think of her my head hurts. I also play this in my head.

[video=youtube_share;pLu07aXTEKY]http://youtu.be/pLu07aXTEKY[/video]

In an email today from Senator Richard Ross....

THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S RECENT GUN DECISION

Recently, without public input or informing the legislature, Attorney General Maura Healey announced a significant new policy pertaining to gun ownership, and sent a notice to all licensed gun dealers in Massachusetts regarding the scope of the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban.

Her “Enforcement Notice” pertained to the sale and possession of firearms that are deemed to be "duplicates" of guns that are currently banned under the state's assault weapons law. This state assault weapons law has been implemented and enforced over the last 20 years.

Concerned with the lack of clarity of the announcement, as well as the hasty manner in which it was given, I joined a bipartisan coalition of 57 other legislators in a letter to the Attorney General to voice our serious concerns. Our letter informed the Attorney General that the Enforcement Notice was issued with insufficient notice for licensed gun dealers and lawful gun owners to understand and fully comply with this new interpretation of the assault weapons law.

Additionally, I joined my colleagues in the Senate and House Republican Caucuses in calling for the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security and the Joint Committee on the Judiciary to conduct a legislative oversight hearing to review the Attorney General’s Enforcement Order at the earliest opportunity. It is our belief that an oversight hearing would address the many questions that have been raised and clarify what legislative action may be necessary moving forward.

While we are not opposed to revisiting the state's gun laws periodically to ensure that they are being properly enforced, it is important that such changes take place within the legislative process following sufficient research, public testimony and debate. Such a change should not be made in haste or in a way that leaves Massachusetts citizens in a state of uncertainty.

In an email today from Senator Richard Ross....

THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S RECENT GUN DECISION

Recently, without public input or informing the legislature, Attorney General Maura Healey announced a significant new policy pertaining to gun ownership, and sent a notice to all licensed gun dealers in Massachusetts regarding the scope of the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban.

Her “Enforcement Notice” pertained to the sale and possession of firearms that are deemed to be "duplicates" of guns that are currently banned under the state's assault weapons law. This state assault weapons law has been implemented and enforced over the last 20 years.

Concerned with the lack of clarity of the announcement, as well as the hasty manner in which it was given, I joined a bipartisan coalition of 57 other legislators in a letter to the Attorney General to voice our serious concerns. Our letter informed the Attorney General that the Enforcement Notice was issued with insufficient notice for licensed gun dealers and lawful gun owners to understand and fully comply with this new interpretation of the assault weapons law.

Additionally, I joined my colleagues in the Senate and House Republican Caucuses in calling for the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security and the Joint Committee on the Judiciary to conduct a legislative oversight hearing to review the Attorney General’s Enforcement Order at the earliest opportunity. It is our belief that an oversight hearing would address the many questions that have been raised and clarify what legislative action may be necessary moving forward.

While we are not opposed to revisiting the state's gun laws periodically to ensure that they are being properly enforced, it is important that such changes take place within the legislative process following sufficient research, public testimony and debate. Such a change should not be made in haste or in a way that leaves Massachusetts citizens in a state of uncertainty.

Nice. Unfortunately, this hearing will most likely not take place until February at the earliest!

Anyone get their shirts yet? I ordered them for my kids to wear to school: should be protected speech.

I think your kids are going to get sent home to change. There's no such thing as protected speech in schools as applied to anything guns, but I agree with you 100%.

None of this matters. This is a smoke screen. She does not have the law behind her and she knows it. She accomplished what she wanted. If she had the law behind her the ATF would have been so deep up the A$$es of FFLs by now it wouldn't even be funny. That is why nobody will be arrested or prosecuted. It would be thrown out.

There will be a bill that says the same thing in her letter. It will be voted in and signed in by the rino.

This was a preemptive strike to prevent the run on sales of these guns before the effective date of the law.

We need to get involved in any race where a seat can can be secured by a pro2A candidate.

We need state house size numbers at all rallies and events.

Fear is a very powerful tool when used correctly.

In this case, no one wants to find out what will happen if they ignore the directive.

There will be a bill that says the same thing in her letter. It will be voted in and signed in by the rino.

This was a preemptive strike to prevent the run on sales of these guns before the effective date of the law.

We need to get involved in any race where a seat can can be secured by a pro2A candidate.

We need state house size numbers at all rallies and events.

I wish this was something that I could never imagine. 2014 all over again.

Anyone get their shirts yet? I ordered them for my kids to wear to school: should be protected speech.

Protected free speech doesn't always exist in schools WRT clothing and dress codes, and courts have been backing that up for decades.

Good luck to them, but you might not be setting them up for success. Head off uncertainty by reading your kids' student handbook from whatever school they attend: it's a legal document for disciplinary purposes, approved by an elected school committee, and if it specifically bans firearms-related clothing, then a court will not go against it.

CAn somebody fill me in here..... I got an email from MFS today about new guns in stock, including a "super evil baby killy copy cat assault rifle"........ aka an M&P 22......... curious I checked their Facebook page and saw a bunch of 1 star reviews saying that they're responsible for Healey's "reinterpretation" after some interview they did..... can anybody shed light on that for me?

CAn somebody fill me in here..... I got an email from MFS today about new guns in stock, including a "super evil baby killy copy cat assault rifle"........ aka an M&P 22......... curious I checked their Facebook page and saw a bunch of 1 star reviews saying that they're responsible for Healey's "reinterpretation" after some interview they did..... can anybody shed light on that for me?

Start reading this thread from the top! It's all there including links to the news stories.

They gave an interview to a TV crew and pointed out how ridiculous the AWB was and that it didn't make any guns more or less killy. It got extra air play (with some cute selective edits) after the Orlando massacre and Healey jumped on it as a way to truly ban everything she considers to be an AW retroactively.

That's the quick and dirty version of what happened.

Yes they did the interview. MFS can go to .... with a false sense of security
http://www.wcvb.com/news/assault-weapons-are-banned-in-mass-but-there-is-a-catch/40077060

.22 are exempt from the AG's definition of an assault weapon according to get FAQ.

MFS did an interview on the news saying how the Mass assault weapons ban did nothing but ban cosmetic features and that Mass compliant rifles still functioned that same as non compliant rifles. Something along those lines

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, I've vetted a list of about a dozen semiautomatic magazine feed scary looking rifles that likely don't meet the new AWB standards of interpretation- when can we start sliding those out there for vetting?

Yes they did the interview. MFS can go to .... with a false sense of security
http://www.wcvb.com/news/assault-weapons-are-banned-in-mass-but-there-is-a-catch/40077060

As a general rule we decided not to comment on this crazy accusation. The people advocating this view are absolutely nuts.

That video was compiled from year-old footage where we were explaining the folly of the assault weapons ban. Our explanation was no different from other media presentations by goal or COM2a or any other gun rights group. The idea that we caused this is idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom