Has a free firearms education event happened in MA?

I was reading a different post about the sheep and how uneducated they were and blah blah blah and I thought "Has anyone tried to throw a free firearms education event in MA?"

Do you think it could?

I figured that trying to organize such an event on a large enough scale to get people to come out and want to educate themselves about firearms and lawful use of them would be fairly tough and require a large amount of volunteer support, but could ultimately lead to some people wanting to understand and know the basics and reduce the fear of the unknown.

With the type of person I am I always want to educate myself so I can make an informed argument one way or another.
Do you think this is possible? Would you volunteer to make this happen?

Please try not to be overly cynical here as I am looking for honest answers. I honestly think something like this could educate and with education comes understanding and sometimes tolerance.

Truro Police

Truro MA Cape Cod

A few times a year they have a free class
THIS IS AN OLD LINK

Send them an Email!! to check the next class

The Truro Police Department will once again be sponsoring a firearms safety class on Saturday June 21st 2008 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. This class will cover the legal requirements needed to qualify for a license to carry or firearms identification card in Massachusetts. The course is free and will be held at the Truro Police Department training room. Call the Truro Police to sign up. Any questions or information should be directed to Officer James Roach at (508) 487-8730 or by emailing him at [email protected].

http://www.wickedlocal.com/truro/homepage/x776482750/Put-gun-safety-in-your-sights

I think it is a great idea.. Before I met my husband, I had no interest or knowledge of guns, except that bad guys, and my uncle (a boston cop) had them..

My Training Partner and I have done several free firearm "seminars" at Bass Pro when I worked there. From general safety to kid targeted NSSF classes. I was talking to GOAL about doing an Eddie Eagle Class, but we were worried that we wouldn't get anyone to show up based on the previous times we've tried.

Believe it or not, it was never well attended. Yet our classes that we charge for to get your permits would fill up just about every class.

Haverhill Hound Rod and Gun Club is holding a free Women on Targets seminar in Sept. And I am proud to say it is booked solid. Free safety course,training, lessons, and ammo and they let them try rifle, pistol, and skeet. It was booked a few weeks after it came up.

Good thing for other clubs to try. Maybe bring it up at your next meeting. Doesn't have to be women only, even though "women only" is a great thing as there's no machismo/Rambo feelings. They just get to try out shooting.

What do I know though, probably just adding to the ammo shortage if it works lol

Some clubs hold an open house and invite neighbors.

GOAL attempts to educate legistraitors with a free day at the range each year.

Women on Target is run all over the state (and many other states).

Second Amendment Sisters runs monthly sessions, sometimes has mini-seminars and allows women to use their guns/ammo, all for a requested donation of $5/session.

Junior Rifle programs exist in very many clubs.

Chief Ron Glidden was brought to Braintree R&P 5x over the years to speak on MA gun laws and answer questions. The cost for his speaking at the club was picked up by the club and it was open to the public for free. [Other clubs and PDs have done the same.]

So a lot is done now, but more could be done for sure.

Most people just aren't interested and won't show up no matter what you do. I have no idea how to motivate the disinterested and those with "locked minds".

I think this is a great idea. It would have to be backed by GOAL and NRA to have an impact. They should hold seminars all over MA (maybe 5) on the same day so there is a sense of group participation. They could also do a Fri, Sat and Sunday gig in all 5 locations.

I feel if something like this were to happen it would have to be done right on a large scale with lots of networking and advertisement.

Posted as a challenge to anyone with great ideas on how to get good participation, not to throw cold water on the ideas.

As a follow-up to C-pher's comments:
- A small town gun club had an open house, heavily advertised it in the town newspaper which back then damn near everyone subscribed to (this was ~25 years ago), and send invitations to all the abutters (heavily residential neighborhood). TWO neighbors showed up out of curiosity.
- Legislators range day every year has a small turn-out in spite of the fact that there are a lot of legislators and aides who are all invited.
- WOT seems to fill up each time it's run.
- SAS at BR&P gets 5-20 participants each month.
- Jr Rifle seems to be a big draw. BUT I wonder how many are "unaffiliated" (no family members associated with the club where it is held)?
- Chief Glidden brought standing room only crowds to BR&P (avg 100 attendees). Also an SRO crowd at Newton PD when they ran it many years ago and I attended.

Smith & Wesson holds a First Shots Program on the last Monday of every month. It runs about 2.5 hours and is a combined classroom shooting program and it's free.
The program starts at 6:00 PM.
Safety, storage and basic fundamentals in the class room then introduction to and shooting a 22 revolver on the range.
This program is held at the S&W Shooting Sports Center.

Last edited:
Posted as a challenge to anyone with great ideas on how to get good participation, not to throw cold water on the ideas.

As a follow-up to C-pher's comments:
- A small town gun club had an open house, heavily advertised it in the town newspaper which back then damn near everyone subscribed to (this was ~25 years ago), and send invitations to all the abutters (heavily residential neighborhood). TWO neighbors showed up out of curiosity.
- Legislators range day every year has a small turn-out in spite of the fact that there are a lot of legislators and aides who are all invited.
- WOT seems to fill up each time it's run.
- SAS at BR&P gets 5-20 participants each month.
- Jr Rifle seems to be a big draw. BUT I wonder how many are "unaffiliated" (no family members associated with the club where it is held)?
- Chief Glidden brought standing room only crowds to BR&P (avg 100 attendees). Also an SRO crowd at Newton PD when they ran it many years ago and I attended.

When we used to do the Woman only LTC class at Mansfield, it would fill up pretty quickly as well.

I'm not sure why people don't show up when they are free...and as Len said...heavly advertised.

If someone wants to try to set something up, I'll do what I can to be there to help.

I've invited every official in the state and local governments to attend our Saturday classes free of charge as a means to better understand the level of training and information that is passed on to every person that gets licensed. I promised that I'd never mention their name or even let others in the class know who they were. To date, after more than 12 years of sending invitations, I've had exactly ONE person take me up on it. A selectman from a neighboring town who needed to renew his own license.

instructions

every time its tried its a dismal failure.we had open house instuction and no one showed up.how many go to the annual state house hearings used to be 1000s.forget it Mass your toast.[laugh2][rofl][rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom