Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Huh. Weird.
not weird. people bring larger caliber rifles, start shooting at plates, a plate comes down, then they keep shooting at what is left hanging.
then they leave.

it may be a good idea to put a poster there saying that any steel shot down is YOUR responsibility to fix. so if you do not have tools and things to fix it - do not shoot at it. but, of course, it does not matter what we would write as it would not work with a**h***s.

GOAL has firehose sections offered to use for hanging plates. They would take more rounds before falling down.

Or and this gets expensive have steels that stand on iron stands, and don't swing like on the pistol caliber class 3 range. They take a lot more and require less work.

My guess is the problem is more poor shooting than vandalism. Most people can't hit a pie plate at 100 yds especially without optics

GOAL has firehose sections offered to use for hanging plates. They would take more rounds before falling down.

Or and this gets expensive have steels that stand on iron stands, and don't swing like on the pistol caliber class 3 range. They take a lot more and require less work.

My guess is the problem is more poor shooting than vandalism. Most people can't hit a pie plate at 100 yds especially without optics
ideally it would help to have something like a railroad rail in front of the bar where top of the chains are connected, at least it would protect the upper links.
or if not metal - a wooden post, just some sort of the barrier to prevent people from being able to hit tops of chains.

the plate to chain connection - usually a bolt - suffers but is easier to fix or replace than a mingled upper link.

>Most people can't hit a pie plate at 100 yds especially without optics
it is an absolute truth but i do not know how else to explain upper links hit with heavy projectiles. they are good 2ft away from the plate. and, chains are thick enough, hittable even with a 4x optics, really.

One individual has claimed that he's only borked a plate once over a two years period. If you're practicing weekly, you're probably pretty good. Let's call that the expert metric.

HSC has what? I don't know. 2K members? Let's assume 5% actively practice on that range averaged per week. That's 100.

1 borked plated per 104 weeks per individual. So, 100 individuals averaged per week over the same period of 104 weeks .... nearly a borked plate once per week. Expert.

Calling others using the range a***holes because they knocked down a plate ... insinuating that they are doing it purposefully ... well that's some BS. Ack, large caliber. Horror.

Perhaps there should be a rule ... no offhand on the 100. Add RO monitors to enforce ... with megaphones and pockets full of tickets. That's a suggestion </sarc>.

It's a steel plate. It's a range. Where people practice. It's getting shot at. It's going to happen. Over and over and over.

Try hanging cardboard in front of the chains to obscure them. Maybe if people can't see and aim at the chains, they'll stop trying to hit them. It's an easy and virtually free thing to try.

Lol. Self-appointed RO.
WTF now? i am not the only one who cleans shit up there after the smartasses. there are more people there who do the same. they just don`t post here.

some DO break shit and DO leave their shit behind presuming there is a 'service' of some sort to clean all this up after them, others just try to keep it all clean. and it applies to all ranges, not just a 100.

again, wanna do something useful instead - find some M10 or bigger steel bolts, if you have any - get there to the range and fix the plate. all my supply is out and i do not have time to hunt for any more at the moment. most people have enough loose hardware in garages to get any of that stuff done, it is not difficult. fix it at least 5 times or more, then after you see it all shot down we will talk, of if was it intentional, or just a pure accident of hitting half inch wide upper link 2ft from the target.

Guys , I’ve been doing this for ten years now . I can tell when people are deliberately shooting the hardware and posts. Other times it’s volume of shooters combined with idiots that enjoy shooting hardware.
Hers all the things I’ve tried
1. Firehose
2. Rubber straps
3. Steel cables (just to see )
4. Boards in front of the pipe
5. Ar500 plate across the front
When there are perfect 3shot groups in the frame and components just after I install it all that’s deliberate. Then there’s the full auto and rapid fire factor too. So there’s a whole slew of factors really volume if shooters combined with some sour grapes that obviously shoot the hardware intentionally and some obviously poor marksman and you get what we get .. sh&t is gonna get shot down range no matter what it is and it’ll need to be repaired and replaced. Anyone that’s willing to help out is welcome.

Last edited:
Try hanging cardboard in front of the chains to obscure them. Maybe if people can't see and aim at the chains, they'll stop trying to hit them. It's an easy and virtually free thing to try.
I’ve done similar with the fire hose but that didn’t last long either lol

Guys , I’ve been doing this for ten years now . I can tell when people are deliberately shooting the hardware and posts. Other times it’s volume of shooters combined with idiots that enjoy shooting hardware.
Hers all the things I’ve tried
1. Firehose
2. Rubber straps
3. Steel cables (just to see )
4. Boards in front of the pipe
5. Ar500 plate across the front
When there are perfect 3shot groups in the frame and components just after I install it all that’s deliberate. Then there’s the full auto and rapid fire factor too.
My only point there is - upper links to hook chains to the pipe are much more expensive than bolts to hook plate to a chain. It would be beneficial to have something as a barrier in front of those upper links. Those things are the most difficult ones to fix.

Do the plates need to swing? Can debris/shrapnel come back a hundred yards? Because if not then can the plates go directly on the berm? Maybe welded onto a rod that's dug into the berm? Just thinking out loud here.

Just buy these targets and not worry about how to best hang steel or people shooting the hangers. They work great.

i bet the very first smack of the 250gr projectile from a .338 Lapua Mag into the edge of that plate will twist whole assembly sideways.
nothing center mounted on a single rod will survive for long, there is nothing wrong with current setup that hangs on a half inch thick chains.
the only weak spot there now is the upper mount. may be it would be easier just to use chains on top also instead of the link, just wrap chain around the rod and use bolts to secure it to lower chain going to the plate, and good luck shooting down that thing into pieces. but it would need longer bolts.

WTF now? i am not the only one who cleans shit up there after the smartasses. there are more people there who do the same. they just don`t post here.

some DO break shit and DO leave their shit behind presuming there is a 'service' of some sort to clean all this up after them, others just try to keep it all clean. and it applies to all ranges, not just a 100.

again, wanna do something useful instead - find some M10 or bigger steel bolts, if you have any - get there to the range and fix the plate. all my supply is out and i do not have time to hunt for any more at the moment. most people have enough loose hardware in garages to get any of that stuff done, it is not difficult. fix it at least 5 times or more, then after you see it all shot down we will talk, of if was it intentional, or just a pure accident of hitting half inch wide upper link 2ft from the target.
At the Mill in Littleton, which was originally a factory, I have a stock room that contains a lots of hardware including large bolts, nuts, threaded rod and pipe. Anyone who wants to is welcome to pick thru it and take whatever might be useful. PM me or give a call at 978-263-9177 anytime. Jack.

i bet the very first smack of the 250gr projectile from a .338 Lapua Mag into the edge of that plate will twist whole assembly sideways.
nothing center mounted on a single rod will survive for long, there is nothing wrong with current setup that hangs on a half inch thick chains.
the only weak spot there now is the upper mount. may be it would be easier just to use chains on top also instead of the link, just wrap chain around the rod and use bolts to secure it to lower chain going to the plate, and good luck shooting down that thing into pieces. but it would need longer bolts.
Doubtful it would twist if it’s installed properly. It’s a great solution to the problem of hangers getting shot. 338 lapua at short range? Nothing will last long against that

oooh geez there's a really easy solution fellas!! y'all gotta buzz me directly when sh@t is broken so I can come fix it I don't get there as often as I would like. .
If anyone wants to help, I am going to do a bunch of improvements for the 100yd range in the spring.
1. clean and widen the backstop
2. rebuild all the target stands to be like the 200/300 so they last longer. (hopefully people won't shoot the posts to death) .
3. rebuild the steel rack
4. clean the brush on the right side of the range to make room for the last table so we can use them all.

I am one person doing most of this stuff alone on my own limited free time with intermittent help, so letting em know directly if something is broken is the least you could do or you could help out.

Email inbound! I'm not even a member, but I'm interested in joining and would love to volunteer beforehand since that place makes my home range look like a carnival shooting game.

The MGM Public Range Target would be great except that in this case some a**h*** would try to shoot the post. Hiding the chains and bolts is probably a better idea and anyone who believes this much damage is accidental probably also believes in the Easter Bunny.

The MGM Public Range Target would be great except that in this case some a**h*** would try to shoot the post. Hiding the chains and bolts is probably a better idea and anyone who believes this much damage is accidental probably also believes in the Easter Bunny.
The post is AR500. It’s worked well for my club so far. Nothing lasts forever but it sure is better than nuts/bolts/chains

Put sand bags in front of the post. Between those and the post being AR500, the assembly should last a while.

The post is AR500. It’s worked well for my club so far. Nothing lasts forever but it sure is better than nuts/bolts/chains
you should just look at the state of the ar500 1inch plates that hang there now. people bring 50bmg there and all the other kinds.
all this setup needs is just more people helping, so, when Mark will call for a work party - please show up. nothing there is too difficult, it just requires attention and people willing to help.

Who runs point for Biathlon? I want to give it a try. Thanks!
I want in!
Here's the page for the biathlon group. It includes a way to sign up for the mailing list.

Among the many info pages, is their COVID-19 protocols. I think this is the important takeaway:
  • Racers will sign up for a time slot before the date of the race.
  • Guests may attend a race but may not sign up on their own or show up unannounced on the day of the race. The guest should be known ahead of time. They should contact [email protected] to sign up for a race slot.

Here's the weblink for the email they just sent out. It has a link to a Google sheet for folks to sign up and attend. Let me know if this doesn't work for y'all.
Looks like they canceled..."too much snow." For folks who were interested, definitely get on the mailing list.

Last edited:
Any one else having trouble renewing membership on line? I tried last week and again just now. I went from club web site link to 2022 renewal online portal.

select membership, fill out info and cc info, hit the buy bar. All I get is little spinning disk in the blue bar for twenty min and counting.

my internet bar at top says hsc2020-234517.square.site. ( not a typo 2020)

Any one else having trouble renewing membership on line? I tried last week and again just now. I went from club web site link to 2022 renewal online portal.

select membership, fill out info and cc info, hit the buy bar. All I get is little spinning disk in the blue bar for twenty min and counting.

my internet bar at top says hsc2020-234517.square.site. ( not a typo 2020)
I didn't have any issues. Maybe try another browser? Do you have AdBlock?

Back
Top Bottom