• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

i would prefer to stay on the topic of what we can do to minimize that damage and get steel plates back in the operational form.

of all other things - i would only say, if you do shoot at 200/300yds - the steel that hangs there somehow remains intact, the target stands are pristine with no junk left on them and the ground is clear.
People that shoot the 200/300 range put time into it. They practice and then get qualified. Chances are they have some money invested into their gear and compete. Comparing what goes on their is like comparing apples and oranges with the 100 yard range.

The 100 yard range is an open house for anyone. The only way to minimize what happens is to start having range officers. Personally, I don't want that.

So I guess there are two options for this problem. ROs or get rid of the steel. Well, actually there's a third option. Just keep fixing the steel.

When the steel is gone, I'm sure the wood frames will start getting shot in the corners. Might as well get rid of those too.

When the steel is gone, I'm sure the wood frames will start getting shot in the corners. Might as well get rid of those too.
Yup.
My club only has wood target frames no steel of any kind. Needless to say those wooden frames get beat to shit real fast.

People that shoot the 200/300 range put time into it. They practice and then get qualified. Chances are they have some money invested into their gear and compete. Comparing what goes on their is like comparing apples and oranges with the 100 yard range.

The 100 yard range is an open house for anyone. The only way to minimize what happens is to start having range officers. Personally, I don't want that.

So I guess there are two options for this problem. ROs or get rid of the steel. Well, actually there's a third option. Just keep fixing the steel.

Talk is just talk.
If I will have time I will fix plate with new bolts next week Wednesday morning.
But I do not have chains nor other stuff and do not have a key to the shed.

If anybody wants to get together for a work party and get something better done - let’s discuss that.

A nut on the bolt is more than an inch in diameter, with a good subMoa rifle hitting it with a 25x scope at 100yds is not an issue.

Bolts were shot off. Chain links shot off - that is trickier to hit. A regular 5.56, even an m855 would not leave such impacts, I think. If I manage to find time next week I can take pictures, but, trust me, it is so and is an ongoing issue.

Lol, it might not be "intentional" Especially if someone is just taking pot shots etc. Lets put it this way- whenever guys have left community steel hung at "piss outside" clubs, those chains are dead inside of a couple of weeks or so tops.

I'm surprised people are questioning hitting a nut at 100 yards with an AR15 and a 10x scope.. Normally you'd have guys in this forum claiming they could hit it with a 3" revolver with factory front blade sight and do it repeatedly.. "I have it dialed in.. maybe you're doing something wrong if you can't do it.."

I've shot out to 100 yards with a Ruger LCR .38 - minute of berm on most ranges so I wouldn't recommend it. [laugh]

At the HSC 100, there are two possibilities - either folks are poor shots and they accidentally hit the chains, or they're actually accurate and they're doing it on purpose for some reason. Most people can't really shoot so I'd guess that the former scenario is more frequent.

I propose that we put some sort of switch behind the chains that activates a trap door underneath the benches. Ironically, below the trap door would be a bunch of trap shooters who would bore the miscreant to near death by discussing birdshot loads back in their day. That'll teach em not to hit the dang chains anymore!

I've brought friends to the range and they've aimed at my bolts or wire harness that holds the plate (my steel targets not the clubs). And When I asked them what they were doing.. The would have a big smile on their face and would be like, "what? It's fun, whats the big deal!"
No shit a**h***. Now I'm the one that has to spend time remaking it at home.
I've also had other friends in the indoor range aiming at the clips that hold the targets to the cardboard for the same reason. "Umm.. Thanks.. Now we don't have clips to hold the targets.."
People are just dumb and ignorant. They never think ahead.

I've brought friends to the range and they've aimed at my bolts or wire harness that holds the plate (my steel targets not the clubs). And When I asked them what they were doing.. The would have a big smile on their face and would be like, "what? It's fun, whats the big deal!"
I've also had other friends in the indoor range aiming at the clips that hold the targets to the cardboard for the same reason. "Umm.. Thanks.. Now we don't have clips to hold the targets.."
Hopkinton stopped leaving target hangers in the basement range a decade or two ago. These a 1/2" AL rods with a notch on one end that latches to the carrier and a clip on the other end.

Sure, people have to sell out $15 for a carrier, but they no longer show up at the range to find the club carriers are all missing clips.

Tragedy of the commons
In economic science, the tragedy of the commons is a situation in which individual users, who have open access to a resource unhampered by shared social structures or formal rules that govern access and use, act independently according to their own self-interest and, contrary to the common good of all users, cause depletion of the resource through their uncoordinated action. The concept originated in an essay written in 1833 by the British economist William Forster Lloyd, who used a hypothetical example of the effects of unregulated grazing on common land in Great Britain and Ireland. The concept became widely known as the "tragedy of the commons" over a century later after an article written by Garrett Hardin in 1968.

I take it you never brought them back? [laugh]

I had one friend that didnt listen one time, but after that he realized the seriousness of the mistake he made and that was the end of that and wasnt a problem from that point
onward.

so, some shitheads keep destroying the steel plate on 100yds range on purpose.
last one i saw - this week wednesday - somebody did shoot off the nuts from bolts that did hold the plate attached to chains- nuts parts were split in half, looks like somebody was really aiming to hit those nuts.
it is probably pointless to try catching the f***er who does it, but, just wonder what could be done to the setup to make it more, well, durable.

all i can think of - probably cutting off and placing some pieces of a used tire and either duct tape it or use some wire to make it attached in front of chains so it would also cover bolts, may be? but it probably not going to help much if someone comes with a large bore armor piercing rounds, will it?

i just like shooting at that steel at 100yds range and almost every time i come there i see it laying on the ground. it just sux. you fix it - and then it is broken again.
this target works great

MGM Public Range Target - MGM Targets

Talk is just talk.
If I will have time I will fix plate with new bolts next week Wednesday morning.
But I do not have chains nor other stuff and do not have a key to the shed.

If anybody wants to get together for a work party and get something better done - let’s discuss that.
I'll volunteer again.

I'll send you a PM. I should have some chain around this junkyard somewhere. I'll send you a pic of what we use at work. The morons have yet to break them. But, I'm sure they will at some point.

Even those get destroyed when numbnuts shoot them with higher calibers than they are rated for.
The issue in the post was numbnuts shooting the hardware that holds the steel. This target avoids that problem completely. As far as getting destroyed- anything on a range will get destroyed at some point. 1" AR 500 with no mounting hardware will last a long time.

A nut on the bolt is more than an inch in diameter, with a good subMoa rifle hitting it with a 25x scope at 100yds is not an issue.

Bolts were shot off. Chain links shot off - that is trickier to hit. A regular 5.56, even an m855 would not leave such impacts, I think. If I manage to find time next week I can take pictures, but, trust me, it is so and is an ongoing issue.
was that way when I was there more than 6 years ago. There was some discussion about security cameras and such. Maybe that should be revisited for the 100 yard range at least on a temp basis until the jackwads are caught.

I am pretty sure Harvard does not allow your own plates or objects at 100yds.
At 50 plastic objects allowed, but no steel.

I guess they are concerned about ricochets and I frankly can see why, considering rest of the chaos there.
exactly.

And as for people wanting steel at the 50yd for 22. NOPE. Ain't gonna happen as there is always going to be a**h***s who will shoot it with their larger rifles. There used to be steel at the 25 yard. Again, people shot that stuff with the rifles. Are those plates still there?

exactly.

And as for people wanting steel at the 50yd for 22. NOPE. Ain't gonna happen as there is always going to be a**h***s who will shoot it with their larger rifles. There used to be steel at the 25 yard. Again, people shot that stuff with the rifles. Are those plates still there?
there's a plate rack at the far left end of the 25 for pistols only. It has (in my understanding) been generally respected for the last few years. On the 50, we still have the rack for detergent bottles and such, but that's it.

there's a plate rack at the far left end of the 25 for pistols only. It has (in my understanding) been generally respected for the last few years. On the 50, we still have the rack for detergent bottles and such, but that's it.
I'm glad to hear people haven't been drilling it with rifles. When I was on the board, and before, it was a serious problem. And there was (and is I am sure) a BIG sign that said "Don't shoot steel targets with rifles!"

I know I've said this a hundred times before, but I don't agree with that reasoning for not allowing .22 rifles on steel at the 25y. I wish we'd have a sign that said in big bold letters "RIFLES: RIMFIRE ONLY". However, if we're going down the path of "someone might do something even if it's against the rules so we need more rules" then we're no better than the antis.

I know I've said this a hundred times before, but I don't agree with that reasoning for not allowing .22 rifles on steel at the 25y. I wish we'd have a sign that said in big bold letters "RIFLES: RIMFIRE ONLY". However, if we're going down the path of "someone might do something even if it's against the rules so we need more rules" then we're no better than the antis.
ain`t there a pit with larger format upright steel where 9mm carbines are now allowed? across or close to the shotgun spot? sorry if i am wrong, i never go there.
it is wrong idea to put any steel at 25/50 range by the same reasons expressed earlier - but what about that pit?

Now that things are freed up on the home front, I'm going to visit an event at HSC and try to make some contacts who'd sponsor me for membership.

As evidence of character - I have never intentionally destroyed a chain or target mount that was not mine.

Now that things are freed up on the home front, I'm going to visit an event at HSC and try to make some contacts who'd sponsor me for membership.

As evidence of character - I have never intentionally destroyed a chain or target mount that was not mine.
Have you ever aimed for a slow moving squirrel that is in the middle of the street though?

Back
Top Bottom