Harvard Sportsmen's Club

As of a couple of days ago the plywood at the 100 is shot away but the plates are still hanging.
and it is quite telling how the rod is now all covered in bullet holes... @ssholes keep shooting it on purpose.
there was no damage to it all year while it was covered...

I can't tell you how much I hate the "someone might do something bad so no one should be allowed to do it" argument. It's literally gun control in a nutshell - there's no difference between "some idiot might misuse a .22 rifle and shoot over the berm so no one should be allowed to shoot .22 rifles" and "some idiot might misuse an AR and shoot someone so no one should be allowed to shoot ARs".

While I see the attraction, that is a false analogy. Gun ownership is a right, shooting on the long range is not.

More importantly, the future viability of our club is dependent on avoiding accidents and incidents that may draw the attention of outside authority that can shut us down for good. The 22LR policy is risk mitigation, and for that reason I support it. Many of our Rules are. If you need to get your jollies on the long range just go get a .223 or better out the the safe. Stop be-otching about something so trivial.

More importantly, the future viability of our club is dependent on avoiding accidents and incidents that may draw the attention of outside authority that can shut us down for good.

Nearly 10 years ago, I moved to Vermont. I knew I'd miss my Lodge, and my friends in MA... the one thing I did NOT know I was going to miss so much was my gun club!

People, you have an absolute GEM there at Harvard Sportsman's! Treasure it. I moved to Addison County in Vermont, where there is not ONE gun club. OK, yeah, I can go out in my yard and shoot up to 45 yards, and I'm going to cut a 100 yard lane for rifles into the woods, but still. I miss organized shoots - nearest ones are 50 miles and 75 minutes or so away. Nearest range with 200 yards? 45 minutes away. And I don't think they have plates. Or organized shoots.

If I want to shoot plates, I have to go out and buy them (which I did). Bowling pin shoots? Bought a bunch of used pins, built a couple of tables and invite friends over. Vermont State Guard pistol team practices at my place (I'm on the team). But I don't have berms on the sides of my side yard, so action shooting is pretty much out. Oh, and in winter... yeah, it gets pretty cold up here. HSC has an indoor range, last time I was there.

I really hope you guys can ride herd on the a**h***s who destroy range equipment and leave a mess. It'd be a shame to lose that club. I knew it was a great club when I was a member; I didn't realize just HOW f***ing awesome it was.

Nearly 10 years ago, I moved to Vermont. I knew I'd miss my Lodge, and my friends in MA... the one thing I did NOT know I was going to miss so much was my gun club!

People, you have an absolute GEM there at Harvard Sportsman's! Treasure it. I moved to Addison County in Vermont, where there is not ONE gun club. OK, yeah, I can go out in my yard and shoot up to 45 yards, and I'm going to cut a 100 yard lane for rifles into the woods, but still. I miss organized shoots - nearest ones are 50 miles and 75 minutes or so away. Nearest range with 200 yards? 45 minutes away. And I don't think they have plates. Or organized shoots.

If I want to shoot plates, I have to go out and buy them (which I did). Bowling pin shoots? Bought a bunch of used pins, built a couple of tables and invite friends over. Vermont State Guard pistol team practices at my place (I'm on the team). But I don't have berms on the sides of my side yard, so action shooting is pretty much out. Oh, and in winter... yeah, it gets pretty cold up here. HSC has an indoor range, last time I was there.

I really hope you guys can ride herd on the a**h***s who destroy range equipment and leave a mess. It'd be a shame to lose that club. I knew it was a great club when I was a member; I didn't realize just HOW f***ing awesome it was.
Its a balance, and thankfully the volunteers keep everything really ship shape, damage gets done everyplace, some more than others. In other news, you could come down and stay at the Courtyard, could almost hear the range from there.

Its a balance, and thankfully the volunteers keep everything really ship shape, damage gets done everyplace, some more than others. In other news, you could come down and stay at the Courtyard, could almost hear the range from there.
yeah... and go to Chelsea and drop a C-note for a non-res LTC. And leave my 10/22 home, my Tippmann Arms M4-22 home, all of my ARs home, my CZ-75 and my Rock Island 1911 (with standard capacity mags) home, my P365XL (with standard capacity mags) home, my P322, M17, etc, etc...

Well, I can always bring my wheelguns and standard 1911s down. I think I still have some loaner Liberty Training Rifles I could use for .22s. Not sure this is going to be worth it...

yeah... and go to Chelsea and drop a C-note for a non-res LTC. And leave my 10/22 home, my Tippmann Arms M4-22 home, all of my ARs home, my CZ-75 and my Rock Island 1911 (with standard capacity mags) home, my P365XL (with standard capacity mags) home, my P322, M17, etc, etc...

Well, I can always bring my wheelguns and standard 1911s down. I think I still have some loaner Liberty Training Rifles I could use for .22s. Not sure this is going to be worth it...
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the MA non-res could be as simple as a NH non-res

switching gears; do you think there are many fudds at HSC? Was talking to someone who's a member there and he believes in magazine limits and AW bans.

ETA - to be clear. I'm not suggesting it's a fudd club. I'm wondering if there are any fudds there and/or if they would be tolerated. I think this guy I spoke to is 'in the closet' so to speak.

Last edited:
switching gears; do you think there are many fudds at HSC? Was talking to someone who's a member there and he believes in magazine limits and AW bans.

anecdote is not data.

I've shot a couple times with the guys at Metro West Tactical - and the ones I spoke with didn't seem to hold those opinions.

anecdote is not data.

I've shot a couple times with the guys at Metro West Tactical - and the ones I spoke with didn't seem to hold those opinions.
Agreed. I guess I'm just wondering if there are any ( or maybe more than I realize). I feel like if people knew of them that they would get run out the club.

ETA - to be clear. I'm not suggesting it's a fudd club. I'm wondering if there are any fudds there and/or if they would be tolerated. I think this guy I spoke to is 'in the closet' so to speak.

I'm sure there are members(fudds) there that want range officers( fudds on power trips).. Granted, those fudd members are most likely older retired guys that crave authority whenever they can get it because they have no authority in any other facet of their lives. These same people tend to gravitate towards certain professions, and when they no longer have that authority, they seek other venues to obtain it.

I'm sure there are members there that want range officers.. Granted, those members are most likely older guys that crave authority whenever they can get it because they have no authority in any other facet of their lives. These same people tend to gravitate towards certain professions, and when they no longer have that authority, they seek other venues to obtain it.
On the rare occasion at a club or range where a 60+ YO guy tries to give me unsolicited safety info about how having an unloaded firearm pointed 3 degrees not perfectly downrange is bad, I just pretend not to speak English. 😆

Easy solution because if they were actual range officers or club officials, they'd pursue it and I'd listen, but they never are. And no feelings are hurt

On the rare occasion at a club or range where a 60+ YO guy tries to give me unsolicited safety info about how having an unloaded firearm pointed 3 degrees not perfectly downrange is bad, I just pretend not to speak English. 😆

There have been occasions where some older guys (viet nam vet) gave me some actually useful advice about stance, but I'm always a little skeptical when that demographic approaches me in a firearms setting

You would be surprised how many Vietnam vets aren't actually Vietnam vets.

Ask them what their MOS was, that usually trips them up because they aren't used to people questioning them about their alleged service.

and/or if they would be tolerated.
everyone should be tolerated. the difference between rabid activists and normal people is the level of tolerance.

i am not that often at the 25/50yds and other places where you would expect some odd looks thrown your way. i only had compliments about all of my long guns, both black scary ones and longer less black bolt ones.

On the rare occasion at a club or range where a 60+ YO guy tries to give me unsolicited safety info about how having an unloaded firearm pointed 3 degrees not perfectly downrange is bad, I just pretend not to speak English.
I haven't gotten safety "advice" but I've been approached with the expectation that I'll stand there for an hour listening to old timer fudd stories. Normally I wouldn't even mind but these days I'm busy and range trips are rare so I try to make the most of them.

You would be surprised how many Vietnam vets aren't actually Vietnam vets.

Ask them what their MOS was, that usually trips them up because they aren't used to people questioning them about their alleged service.
I haven't gotten safety "advice" but I've been approached with the expectation that I'll stand there for an hour listening to old timer fudd stories. Normally I wouldn't even mind but these days I'm busy and range trips are rare so I try to make the most of them.
I was approached by a Vietnam vet who looked at me while I had a MAK90 and said "I used to kill people who shot those guns" while a weird start to a conversation he ended up being a really decent guy. LOL he actually did stop and talk with me about his experiences in Viet nam which were interesting. So they're not all fudds!

I was approached by a Vietnam vet who looked at me while I had a MAK90 and said "I used to kill people who shot those guns" while a weird start to a conversation he ended up being a really decent guy. LOL he actually did stop and talk with me about his experiences in Viet nam which were interesting. So they're not all fudds!

I would have said I had no idea that MAK90's were around during the Vietnam era gunnery mastery first sergeant major! :)

Anybody who starts off a conversation with "I used to kill people who shot those guns" by referencing something you are holding, should be avoided at all costs lol

I mean what is the logical response to anybody making such a bold and unprovable statement like that, something like "Make your move old man" ?

I would have said I had no idea that MAK90's were around during the Vietnam era gunnery mastery first sergeant major! :)

Anybody who starts off a conversation with "I used to kill people who shot those guns" by referencing something you are holding, should be avoided at all costs lol

I mean what is the logical response to anybody making such a bold and unprovable statement like that, something like "Make your move old man" ?
I get you but I wasn't worried since I was holding said loaded MAK90 at the time. 😆

I get you but I wasn't worried since I was holding said loaded MAK90 at the time. 😆

Ya, I know.. Just making a funny.. Or trying to :)

I don't care if people try to make small talk with me at the range, just don't offer any unsolicited advice. It seems like there are range lizards(range safety officers in waiting) that just like to hang out walking up and down the line looking for safety violations and try to impart their "wisdom" on unsuspecting shooters.

Best thing to do to avoid these guys is shoot in the summer after 1630, they are usually in bed by then lol

I remember many years ago there was a NES shoot at the Shirley Rod and Gun club. While the shoot was going on there were a couple of old fudds there complaining about all the shooting, high cap mags, evil looking weapons, etc. I was standing next to them waiting my turn and in between shooting I asked them if they didn't like what was going on why were they there. They ignored me so I just ignored them. Once the shooting stopped that same group of fudds was brass ratting all over the place. There was a LOT of brass for them.

I think every club has it's Fudd contingent. As long as they don't get power or an edge into the board they just hang together and bitch about things.

I remember many years ago there was a NES shoot at the Shirley Rod and Gun club. While the shoot was going on there were a couple of old fudds there complaining about all the shooting, high cap mags, evil looking weapons, etc. I was standing next to them waiting my turn and in between shooting I asked them if they didn't like what was going on why were they there. They ignored me so I just ignored them. Once the shooting stopped that same group of fudds was brass ratting all over the place. There was a LOT of brass for them.

I think every club has it's Fudd contingent. As long as they don't get power or an edge into the board they just hang together and bitch about things.
iu

and it is quite telling how the rod is now all covered in bullet holes... @ssholes keep shooting it on purpose.
there was no damage to it all year while it was covered...
Mark gets aggravated by all the deliberate damage and I don't blame him but as I've tried to explain, you can't make anything a**h*** proof. You can only make it a**h*** resistant.
I don't get aggravated at all. It's expected and when it happens it's just disappointing. It's ok, this spring there'll be something colossal for everyone to shoot at, a cargo ship's anchor inverted holding only one 6inch plate that's 2.5 inches thick attached with a tailhook from f15tomcat , not sure how long the tailhook will last.....

I don't get aggravated at all. It's expected and when it happens it's just disappointing. It's ok, this spring there'll be something colossal for everyone to shoot at, a cargo ship's anchor inverted holding only one 6inch plate that's 2.5 inches thick attached with a tailhook from f15tomcat , not sure how long the tailhook will last.....

You're trolling us...."F15Tomcat" C'mon man, we all saw Top Gun 🤣

Let's just all take solace in the fact that the rack is still standing. The 50 yard range "rack" on the right side has been obliterated for months.

Back
Top Bottom