Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot 4/18-19, 2009

Had a great time this weekend. Thanks Crak.

Here's a few pictures from the weekend.

/Mike

(Nicole, thanks for picking up my brass all day)

harvard09004.jpg

harvard09008.jpg

harvard09016.jpg

harvard09017.jpg

harvard09018.jpg

harvard09020.jpg

This was a really fun event. I didn't make Rifleman unfortunatly, but maybe next time.

I brought along 2 anti's (my mom and sister), which was a feat. My Mom got a 210 on the second or thrird to last AQT.
Yeah, my mom shoots better than me lol. [sad2][laugh]

It was great meting all you guys, hopefully we'll meet again. I'll be going to the Appleseed in the area in June as long as my plans work out. After that I think I'll become an IIT, and so on. I really liked the whole thing.

Congrats to those who made rifleman, goood luck next time to those who didn't. It was great to speak with "the" Fred, he's pretty awesome.

I picked up some Appleseed flyers that I'll be dropping off tomorrow at the gun shop down the street from me, at which 0 of the employees and 0 of the regulars have heard of the Appleseed project. [shocked] We'll fix that. :D

A big thanks to everyone involved! Crak was a great shoot boss. Ninsho did an excellent job as an IIT. Having Fred on my line was a privilege. Even though he doesn't share the love of northeast style rapid fire AQT back to back to back to back to back it was great to have him there.[wink] Every time I'd start to get into a rhythm he'd break it up [wink].

After a roller coaster weekend score wise (Saturday: 207, 195, 180, DNF (cross fired on Jar's target [hmmm]) (Sunday: 202, 181, 174, 166, 200, 191, 204, 192, 211, 204, 190)) I just made it without getting doused [smile].

It was nice to place faces with login names. However, I've probably already forgotten that connection already. Thanks again to everyone for putting this on. Let's start bailing and get everyone out of their deck chairs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great time at my first Appleseed! Big thanks to Nick (Ninsho) who was an IIT on our line.

I'm also glad I was able to THE Fred on my line the entire time.

I unfortunately only came home with a massive sunburn on my face and arms...no rifleman's patch THIS time. Next time, definitely!

Now Cabrio330 needs to post some of those pics!!

Congrats again on the Rifleman Eisenhow! We had two on our line today. Him and Ken. I can't remember Ken's screen name now :(

After a roller coaster weekend score wise (Saturday: 207, 195, 180, DNF (cross fired on Jar's target [hmmm]) (Sunday: 202, 181, 174, 166, 200, 191, 204, 192, 211, 204, 190)) I just made it without getting doused [smile].

Congrats Eisenhow on making Rifleman! Sounds like there was a LOT of shooting done today. [smile]

I was there and my best effort was a 208! We had a great time on Nickle's line with JonJ keeping us following his directions.

Our group of 16 produced 4 Riflemen, 1 on Saturday, and 3 today!

My son was there and it was a great experience to share with your family! I highly recommend it to any rifle shooters!

Instead of dump another pile of pics onto the thread, you can find all of my pictures here (Day 1 is here) if you want to see more Appleseed or find a stunning portrait of yourself.

I missed making Rifleman by 4 points. drat. I choose to look at it as the perfect excuse to make room in the calendar for another Appleseed. [smile]

Again, great to meet everybody! And Mike, I'll happily pick up my neighbor's brass when they've been nice enough not to bring along muzzle brake dragons that keep knocking me off target. [wink]

Since I was driving through today, I figured I'd stop in with my camera to get some pics of the folks on the line. I was very impressed at the turnout (and I'd thought that last year's shoot was busy!) It was nice to (briefly) meet some of you.

I did have the pleasure of talking with Fred, who immediately (and correctly) called me out for shooting pictures instead of ammo. I ended up committing to join the IIT ranks (which I'd intended to do, but didn't quite pull off this time around). Kudos to those of you like Ninsho who jumped right into it.

Unfortunately I didn't get over to where the big guns were (I was out of time when I realized that they were over at the 300), but it was cool hearing the rapid fire from the other side of the berm [smile]

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

A big thanks to everyone involved! Crack was a great shoot boss. Ninsho did an excellent job as an IIT. Having Fred on my line was a privilege. Even though he doesn't share the love of northeast style rapid fire AQT back to back to back to back to back it was great to have him there.[wink] Every time I'd start to get into a rhythm he'd break it up [wink].

It was nice to place faces with login names. However, I've probably already forgotten that connection already. Thanks again to everyone for putting this on. Let's start bailing and get everyone out of their deck chairs!

Congratulations, I think you earned that patch just for putting up with the non rapid-fire AQT's. Be glad you were on the line you were though, I hear there was a line with no rapid-fire AQT's at all.

Also a congrats to Ken, our other Rifleman of the day. Ten shooters today, two rifleman. Not as good as 4 out of 16, but I'll take it.

I would like to thank everyone for coming out, getting up off the couch and doing this instead. Sounds to me, like all of you think it was worth it. Remember that in fact shooting is just part of the deal. If it was the whole shooting match so to speak, I would have been a shooter today. I still don't have my own patch, but I think helping two of you earn them was much more rewarding than that patch ever could have been. This is really about the heritage, remembering where this country came from, and recognizing that this ship needs bailing. You can never forget about conducting the soft war (which many of us NESers already do), and the most important step to firing the shot. Whats that, you might ask? Of course its the seventh step.

Recruit.

This program is working to double (or better!) in size each year. We cannot do that without you. So if you haven't shot that 210 yet, come back. And make sure you bring a friend. If you did get that patch, its time to come back as an instructor, hell, bring two friends this time. I brought six this time. Beat that. [smile]

I don't think I have ever been as convinced and sold on this program as I am tonight. I have nothing but Fred's motivational techniques and the shooters I have had the pleasure to help today to thank for that. I am grateful.

I hope to see you all on a firing line soon, following the basics, shooting a good score, and with all of your friends in attendance to witness your achievement.

I had such an awesome time at Appleseed!

It was great to meet so many cool people.

I am glad that we got to meet Fred, who founded Appleseed.[bow]

Everything went so well. Thank you to those who prepared lunch!

I did not make rifleman this time (207)[sad2], but I got some ideas about what needs to be improved.

I plan on attending many more Appleseeds. My cousin wants to come next year. I'll try to bring others too.

Thank You to all those who ran and participated for making this such a great event.
[cheers]

I'm also going to add once again that this was a great event. I learned far more here than I ever could have anywhere else (and made Rifleman to boot).

Just want to once again thank Nickle, Russ, John, and Frank for all the help on our line! And also to thank THE Fred and the organizers (crak!) for all of this. Further... we couldn't have had better weather!

This shouldn't end here, either. If there's any way some of us could get together in the future at a range to shoot more AQTs and critique each other I'm more than willing to be there. And bring some others. I'm a member at BRP. If other BRP-ers want to meet again (or meet regularly for that matter) let's make it happen!

nick

Last edited:
Instead of dump another pile of pics onto the thread, you can find all of my pictures here (Day 1 is here) if you want to see more Appleseed or find a stunning portrait of yourself.

I missed making Rifleman by 4 points. drat. I choose to look at it as the perfect excuse to make room in the calendar for another Appleseed. [smile]

Again, great to meet everybody! And Mike, I'll happily pick up my neighbor's brass when they've been nice enough not to bring along muzzle brake dragons that keep knocking me off target. [wink]
Nicole,
Thanks again for the great pix and great talking to you at lunch today!

This shouldn't end here, either. If there's any way some of us could get together in the future at a range to shoot more AQTs and critique each other I'm more than willing to be there. And bring some others. I'm a member at BRP. If other BRP-ers want to meet again (or meet regularly for that matter) let's make it happen!

nick

As a fellow BRP-er, I'm down for that.

Me too.

Appleseed at Harvard Sportsman's Club April 18 & 19, 2009

Fantastic event ! thank you to everyone involved

Great to meet everyone too...especially Honored to meet Fred and feel lucky to have spent both days with such a humble gentleman. His commitment, knowledge and April 19th history is second to none.

My personal best today was (197)...I'm hoping that ramping up the "basics" at the next event will raise my score and hopefully provide the coveted "rifleman's patch"

Congrats to Ken & Eisenhow for a job well done !!!

anybody else's elbows look like hamburger ? [rofl]

dave

here are a few pics...

Our Firing Line !
IMG_3966.jpg

Fred presenting Ken with "Rifleman" ......yes Fred! as in "Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman" Fred!
IMG_3975.jpg

Ken with his "lousy patch" great job!
IMG_3976.jpg

Ninsho(IIT) presenting Eisenhow with "rifleman" congrats!
IMG_3981.jpg

MadBall13, Ninsho, Stratocaster1422, cabrio330, kdrew, jar, Fred, Chuck, Eisenhow, jonathanS & co. (my attempt at names)
IMG_3985.jpg

Last edited:
Great time shooting this weekend. Really great to meet and train under fred and with all of you. I was pretty pumped i actually scored rifleman on one of my targets but it was DQ because the person next to me shot on my paper and i doubled up on the sitting portion of one AQT and didn't shoot the other. If i had shot my average on the second string of 45 i would have scored a 223. i'm glad i now know i can shoot rifleman and i plan on practicing and stepping up the rifle and shoot my AR and M1A and training others.

I may still be a COOK, but I'm a cook with much better groupings than before.

This event was a lot of fun - nobody should hesitate going, and everybody should bring a friend.

I was on the "loud" firing line (AKA centerfire) and the folks there were terrific; I came by myself, a long way (6 hrs), and found everyone to be welcoming and fantastic. I was proud to endure your sizzling hot barrage of .223 brass and x39 steel. (Next time I want someone with an AK and boxer primed x39 brass on my left.)

My only regret was returning home with so much ammo. Next time we're going to show up at Crack's hotel and drag him out of bed to the line on time.

Well, a second regret - not making Rifleman score...

My best AQT was spoiled by firing on reptile's 300yd targets. another by only firing 37 rds - I underloaded. Those are excuses.

But a rifleman has no excuses, so I'm still a cook!

There will be a next time, and between now and then I'll be practicing and listening to what my target tells me.

Missed the good ol' NE-style back to back to back to back to back AQT's myself this year... at least we threw alot more lead downrange the second day.

Nice to see so many people out this weekend.

I did not make rifleman this time (207)[sad2], but I got some ideas about what needs to be improved.
Excuse me? I distinctly remember handing you a Rifleman patch on a snowcovered range in Athol this February. You mean that you HAVEN'T been practicing??? Remember that the floggings will continue until the marksmanship improves...
Whipping.gif

Seriously, having already shot Rifleman, you should be saying that you didn't SHOOT a Rifleman score this weekend... but no learning is wasted, so it's a good day anyway. Now... that was your second AS, which means that as a Rifleman with two AS's under your belt, you are eligible for an orange hat... Did you ask Nickle (or Crak, or Fred) about becoming an IIT?

One inch squares are here in post # 8, as are many other useful targets. AQTs are ordered from www.fredsm14stocks.com or from the Appleseed store on the Appleseedinfo.org forum.

Keep practicing, and don't forget the soft war. Also you may want to pick up a copy of Paul Revere's Ride and read it - lots more info in there that we simply don't have time to present in a weekend forum.

Fantastic event. Thanks to eisenhow for telling me about Appleseed. It was an easy sell...

my little lesson:
I borrowed a sling from Crak and after repeatedly shooting all ten shots below the 100m target and everything else on target I concluded that I was given a defective sling.
Some research today shows that a sling attached to a 20"+ AR barrel is known to bend the barrel. duh! Make sure that AR slings are attached to your free-floats.

Special thanks to Crak for watching me through an AQT and pointing out my mistakes. After his help (and abandoning the sling) I shoot 4 of 5 AQTs above the mark with 2 different rifles and in different calibers.
my section of range1: ...bkbville, reptile, <me>, carlsdad, mike5liter, nicole...

Last edited:
If I didn't build it, I am not shooting it... but I'll go for iron sights next time.

I'm just busting your chops (I know you know that, it's so others know). I meant no fancy shmancey jewel triggers etc. So with that machine gun like rapid fire trigger finger of yours did it take you like 30 seconds to do the rapid fire AQT's? I bet 28 or 29 of that was for the position changes and getting your NPOA!

Great shoot, great event, great instruction and great people.

A special thanks to Fred, Ninsho, and Crak for coaching me to Rifleman. Ninsho ran our line like a pro.

Congrats to Eisenhow who also got Rifleman on our line as well as the other Rifleman on other lines.

--Ken

I had a great time this past weekend and got to meet some fellow NESers. My weekend started out with my 10/22 light striking the primers. (17 ftf out of 20 shots) I ended up using loaners the rest of the weekend. I wanted to thank all the instructors on our line and especially JonJ for letting me borrow his loaner LTR.

nick
As a fellow BRP-er, I'm down for that.

I'm another member at BRP and would definetely be interested in this.

main.php

I'm the one in the grey t-shirt and redsox hat on the left.

Back
Top Bottom