Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot 4/18-19, 2009

After experiencing several frustrating stovepipes at the first trigger pull...I was determined to figure out why....then another issue became clear. I was foolishly dropping my chamber flag in the dirt as well...after clearing and locking, i was inserting a dirty/sandy chamber flag into the barrel.

that's a good point. after i whittled down my Official Appleseed Chamber Flag to make it fit lengthwise, i started finding plastic residue in the hollowpoint pit of rounds i had chambered but didn't get to fire.

gotta be careful not to jam it in there too quick and shave flakes off the sides of the flag and directly into the chamber, even if it is clean!

Conversation with a coworker:

cw: "looks like you got a little sun"
me: "yeah, I was outside all weekend"
cw: "doing something fun?"
me: "shooting and learning about revolutionary war history"
cw: "my son would love that"
me: "there are some more events coming up and under 21 are free"

She seemed receptive. I'm planning to take them to the range soon and see if he'd have the focus and discipline for an all day event. (He's 10 years old.) She said when she mentioned that I offered to take them to the range and told him that he'd have to be very good and follow all of the rules, he rattled off the basic safety rules. So, I have high hopes that he'll be ready.

At Toastmasters, I gave a sling demonstration (with a stick, not a rifle!) and ~ 7 minute talk about the 6 steps and how the target lau, er, talks to you.

One member of the audience had been involved with target shooting years ago and said the speech re-awakened his interest in shooting. I sent him the Applseed link. We may yet see him there!

Thanks Crak, Fred, Nickle and the other instructors. We will meet again!

Back
Top Bottom