Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot 4/18-19, 2009

I had a great time this past weekend and got to meet some fellow NESers. My weekend started out with my 10/22 light striking the primers. (17 ftf out of 20 shots).
Couple of suggestions: Check your firing pin to see if the back end of it is peened over. Mine did that after about 15-20K rounds and a new firing pin cured it. (PM me for contact info if you need help replacing it). Other things to check would be the hammer and the hammer spring.

Who also shot a 210 and got doused! Congratulations, Dan.
Oh, another baptism of North Bridge water!! I almost got to do that to a shooter at Throop... he got a 209 and we just could NOT find another point. So I've still got the water, and it's waiting... *evil grin*

PICT0575.jpg

4 Saturday Riflemen

PICT0609.jpg

Silvio getting his patch.

PICT0612.jpg

Another NES'er getting his patch. Sorry, but the name escapes me.

PICT0613.jpg

And, for shooting exactly 210, a baptism with water from the North Bridge.

Last edited:
Blah blah nice weather blah blah blah 87 shooters blah blah 7 riflemen on my range blah blah 6(?) on the other three ranges. This was the 2nd biggest Appleseed in the country this weekend and it was definitely something special, but I'm fairly certain I have my first grey hairs now. There's no way any of this would have worked had I not had such an amazing crew.. ten strong, and many called up at the last minute!

Hope everybody shot as much as they were hoping for on Sunday. I think we put more rounds in the 300 yard berm than it gets during the rest of the year.

Rich and Andrew kept the big line safe like champs.

Frank took a new shooter from 0 to Rifleman in about 4 hours.

Fred did the running target that I hadn't thought about in years. That's definitely going into my Sunday afternoon bag-o-tricks.

I don't know what went on on on Nickle or Dave's line, so they'll have to do the update for themselves.

Russ gave me the best kind of deja vu when we were piling materials into his truck , yet the brass was already cleaned up! There's a statute of limitations that has to expire before I tell anyone the rest of that story. Hopefully by next year I will have figured out how to have a good Patriot's Day Monday.

Ivan, sorry I didn't think of the barrel flex.

Nicole wouldn't let me look at her 206 target because she didn't believe in the .30 cal rule. Maybe she was just trying to delay the inevitable instructor pitch... (More on that in another post)

Troy, glad to see you finally get your patch. I look forward to seeing you showing others how to do it.

Looks like there's a bull market for minis again. Sweet. I'll get something official scheduled at the next meeting but until then some Riflemen seem to have seen what needed to be done and done it, organizing one at Harvard and another at Braintree before I could even get back to a computer to type this up.

And just so we don't forget how much water our part of the ship has taken on, Fred almost jumped out of his shoes when he saw some woman with a UN flag at the Concord parade on Monday. In other news, redcoats don't really appreciate the "Headshots on redcoat targets!" portion of the flyers we hand them (oops), and Ranger Dave at Hartwell Tavern "knows what he's about" in addition to recognizing our shirts as soon as we walked in. Part of my job now (the more I hang around Fred, the more jobs I seem to get) is to get a partnership going with the Rangers of Minuteman National Park, and if half of them are anything like Dave, this could be huge.

Last edited:
The Handouts - Now I took the handouts on day one and was certain I had them safe, but now I can't find them and my damned targets keep LAUGHING at me.

Does anyone have the handouts and a scanner, and the willingness to either post or pm them to me?

I'm told there'll be another Appleseed in the area on the weekend of June 20th. Hopefully it'll be at the HSC, I like the place.
I dropped off a bunch of Appleseed informational flyers at my local gun shop yesterday, after asking the owner "would it be alright for me to leave these flyers for a great marksmanship program that's lots of fun", which I said loud enough that all the regulars browsing heard and came over to check them out. :D I counted ~6 people picked up flyers and started reading by the time I turned around and walked out.
That's how much I liked this program. I might need some more flyers to drop off...

Running target?

Goes something like this:

Put up a small target. Start with rifles grounded and shooters X yards behind the firing line. On "FIRE" shooters have Y seconds to get to their rifles and put as many holes in the target as possible.

Fred did a team version and deviously (Fred? Devious? You don't say?) gave out redcoat target sizes based on the results of the previous AQT where the high scores got the small target. We had a <1" star target for it too, but it didn't get around (I didn't know what it was for).

Last edited:
Running target?

He separated the silhouettes from a redcoat target and divided the shooters into teams. We started uprange at about 50m(a guess) from the firing line. Fire command was given and we had 60 seconds to get to our rifles and put as many rounds into the target as we could. Team with the most hits wins.

It sounded like he had some people really close to rifleman and wanted to get them over the hump before the end of the day (And I think it worked)

It looks like there's a mini that wants to be held for attendees at BRP (and a guest or several). I'm fully booked this weekend but is anybody around the 2nd of May? Maybe it could become a monthly thing? Or some other regular interval (I'm sure some of you have lives, unlike me - therefore all the time is probably not possible)?

A discussion of this event (or series of events) is probably best left to a new thread.

nick

He separated the silhouettes from a redcoat target and divided the shooters into teams. We started uprange at about 50m(a guess) from the firing line. Fire command was given and we had 60 seconds to get to our rifles and put as many rounds into the target as we could. Team with the most hits wins.

You forgot the little part where you slide into home base and filled my rifle and and magazines with dirt [wink].

Thakyou All!!!

Special thanks to Nickle for getting LTR's for people like me otherwise I'd never able be to attend, and the other instructors for grate help.[cheers]

Last edited:
OK here's my take on the weekend.

I IIT'd, my first time. I thought that I would miss shooting but I didn't. I had a lot of fun and I hope that I was able to assist the shooters on the line and actually instruct. It was gratifying to watch the shooters progress from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. Nickle threw me into the position of Line Boss on Sunday afternoon. I made a few small mistakes[wink]
I learned quite a bit under the expert tutelage of Nickle and watchful eyes of experienced IIts Russ & Frank. I'm looking forwarding to making through the IIT ranks. Thanks guys.

This was my wife's second Appleseed. We did one day last fall in Winchendon and she had a frustrating day. She was pretty beat after that and I thought that was it for her. On the way home from Winchendon that day, she said she wished we had signed up for the 2nd day as well. In December, she saw the Bass Pro flier with the pink 10/22 in it and I bought it for her for Christmas. Now she has her own LTR and she was looking forward to showing it off at Harvard.
Saturday went well for her but she had a shooter next to her put extra holes in her target. She dealt with it. She had some failures to extract on Sunday and her mags wouldn't drop free. I cleaned up her action a bit and showed her what to do. I need to shave down the mag-well on her rifle for the mag problem.
She didn't shoot Rifleman but her scores did climb and she's really understanding how the rifle handles and what she needs to do. She is very impressed with the Appleseed Program.
She asked "OK. When's the next one we're going to?" She's hooked.

We had 16 shooters on our line, all using 10/22 LTRs except on stock 10/22 with stock sights. We had one loose rear sight, a few loose front sights, 2 front sights that popped off, one failure to fire/light strikes and a couple of rifles with failures to feed/failures to extract.

4 Riflemen were made on our line! 2 made 210 and got doused. Congrats to you all. I believe 3 of them are NES members.

Crak (Chris) deserves a big thank you for pulling this off. I was no small feat. Thank you, Chris! Now that I kind of know what to do, I hope that I can be more of a help next time.

Jon, glad you had a good time. Wish I could have been there but I was out in Throop with a crew of newbies of my own.

She had some failures to extract on Sunday and her mags wouldn't drop free. I cleaned up her action a bit and showed her what to do. I need to shave down the mag-well on her rifle for the mag problem.
I just purchased and installed Volquartsen Exact-Edge extractors on my LTRs last month, and they didn't have ANY hiccups all weekend... and they did get used. I know that all the eggspurts say that "it's blowback; the extractor doesn't do anything!!!" but my (admittedly small) experience leads me to believe otherwise.

Hey, at less than 10 bucks and about 10 minutes to install them, what have you got to lose for trying?

I just purchased and installed Volquartsen Exact-Edge extractors on my LTRs last month, and they didn't have ANY hiccups all weekend... and they did get used. I know that all the eggspurts say that "it's blowback; the extractor doesn't do anything!!!" but my (admittedly small) experience leads me to believe otherwise.

Hey, at less than 10 bucks and about 10 minutes to install them, what have you got to lose for trying?

Replacing the extractor with the VQ part solved my 10/22's stovepipe problem also. Fixed a stovepipe problem in a friend's MkIII also (it's the same part).

My copy of Paul Revere's Ride just arrived today, so I've got reading material for a while.

Jon, glad you had a good time. Wish I could have been there but I was out in Throop with a crew of newbies of my own.

I have one in my spares bag but I didn't bring it. Part of the problem was not cleaning the rifle between days. I think a reminder to all shooters after day 1 is in order. And maybe a quick tutorial for the newbies before we break for the day.
There was some serious carbon on the bolt and extractor. Once scraped out with my finger and a small brush, it worked fine.
I was just out in the yard cleaning but it started raining. Looks like I'm stripping down the LTRs right now.

Replacing the extractor with the VQ part solved my 10/22's stovepipe problem also. Fixed a stovepipe problem in a friend's MkIII also (it's the same part).
I put one in my 22/45 that was stove piping, it seems to have fixed the problem. My MkIII and both my 10/22's haven't needed it... yet. I should probably order one so I have it on hand.

My copy of Paul Revere's Ride just arrived today, so I've got reading material for a while.
I guess I'm cheap, I just requested it at the library this morning. I also requested the audiobook version of 1776 by David McCullough so I have something to listen to on the Mass Pike & Thruway this weekend.

I just purchased and installed Volquartsen Exact-Edge extractors on my LTRs last month, and they didn't have ANY hiccups all weekend...

I'm also going to order the VQ extractor for my 10/22. During the AS weekend at HSC, I experienced several stovepipes as well...gets annoying
when you're trying to qualify on AQT's and end up only sending 3 rounds downrange as the time expires.

could be quality and brand of ammo...i tried several, some worked great, other brands were problematic. I agree that it can't hurt to install the quality replacement VQ extractor for $10 bucks. gonna send off the MidwayUSA order right away...

Thanks again to all for the excellent AS experience (best 197). Now I'm hooked and encouraged to attain 210 in the very near future[wink]

also...thanks jar for the VQ extractor advise at the event...

dave

Last edited:
Another +1 vote for the VQ Extractor. I had many extraction failures (about 1 per mag on avg) prior to the upgrade. I don't think I've had one since and the rifle has seen two appleseeds and a lot of other range time since the upgrades.

I had stovepipes as well. I'll try the extractor too. And BTW be sure your stock screw is socked down tight to the receiver. I found my receiver/barrel rattling around in my stock Sunday.

And BTW be sure your stock screw is socked down tight to the receiver. I found my receiver/barrel rattling around in my stock Sunday.
According to the gurus at rimfirecentral.com, that screw is frequently a bit too long and will work it's way loose under usage (as it hits the underside of the barrel or the barrel block (I forget which)). They recommend taking it out and filing it down about 1/8". I did that and no longer have problems with it loosening up.

Last edited:
i shot 164 at athol earlier in the year with my AR-15.

last weekend, i shot between 128 and 147 on the eight targets i scored, average 136, dealing with stovepipe after stovepipe. sometimes four in one stage.

when i cleaned up at home later, i found a lot of grit mixed in with my spray lube above the bolt. i think the combination of the weak stock extractor and the friction basically did me in -- beyond my mediocre shooting, of course [smile] -- because adding my four best stages yield a score of 173 -- way above the 136 average, and out of the stddev.

my better half also had quite a few stovepipes. presumably, we were foolishly letting our mags fall in the dirt. her four best stages totaled 174.

absolutely, definitely, going to buy that VQ extractor. two of them.

That's two of you that definitely did better in the snow.

Maybe we should keep some of that stuff in the freezer and sprinkle it on the shooters...

Jonathan,

I was also guilty of nervously dropping my clean mags anywhere they fell...usually in the dirt. As the weekend progressed, my confidence and behavior improved, careful mag releases became the norm...so no more dirty mags...lol

After experiencing several frustrating stovepipes at the first trigger pull...I was determined to figure out why....then another issue became clear. I was foolishly dropping my chamber flag in the dirt as well...after clearing and locking, i was inserting a dirty/sandy chamber flag into the barrel. Probably a little dirt or sand would jam that case in enough to cause extracting probs. After controlling the flag between line calls and keeping it clean...my stovepipe issues at first round disappeared. well, some of the best lessons are self-learned for sure.[wink]

ordered the VQ extractor earlier tonight...ready for practice soon

FYI...my elbows are still junk[rofl]

dave

Back
Top Bottom