Harvard, MA Appleseed April 17-18 2010

LOANER RIFLE RECAP

OK, just checking and I see that I'm loaning an LTR to Mrs. Lupis42 and Turbocharged.

Is there anyone else who'd asked me about a loaner? Right now, I have two scoped LTRs (one of them a bolt-action) and two iron-sighted LTRs. AFAIK, the two iron-sighted LTRs (both 10/22s) are spoken for.

I will have the other two with me anyway - I'll bet a Tootsie Pop that SOMEONE will show up with a rifle that will not last the weekend - so that I can hand out a rifle I KNOW works when the inevitable equipment issue raises it's ugly head.

What's more frightening than a mistake on the patch is the fact that you actually took the time to COUNT them.
shocked.gif

[laugh]With a name like freedominnumbers... it's a compulsion.

Any one interested in sharing a room at the evnt, possibly friday, definitely saturday? If so pm me, regards, Tom.

The GF and I are staying at the Holiday Inn in Boxborogh, get a room there, we can talk AS in the lounge Saturday night.

It's going to rain Saturday. Probably not all day, but for at least a good piece of it. We've shot in a lot worse.

And it's going to be in the 40's max.

Please dress for the rain. And being outside all day in the 40's. And laying down in mud.

There are some shelters around the pits at Harvard but nobody will be shooting from under them and many will not be anywhere near them between strings.

And if anybody has any of those pop-up shelters they can bring along for the Cause...

The 30ish people shooting in the bay 275 yards away from the nearest roof will be singing an Ode to Your Magnanimous Nature while refilling their mags.

I just had something come up and am not going to be able to attend.

I signed up for both days - and I am wondering if I did a Karma and gave the 2 day slot away if that would be OK.

I think I know where I can borrow at least one.
And if anybody has any of those pop-up shelters they can bring along for the Cause...

The 30ish people shooting in the bay 275 yards away from the nearest roof will be singing an Ode to Your Magnanimous Nature while refilling their mags.

Last edited:
Which pits will we be shooting in? I had assumed we would be using the 25/50 yard range opposite the club house, but I guess not.

Is there a site or post that has a list of what we need to bring? I mean besides the LTR, ammo, cleaning kit, wet weather gear? I seem to remember something about a mat to lie on, would a sleeping pad mat be sufficient?

Thanks.

From appleseedinfo.org;

Not everything listed here is necessary. This list was compiled from the
experience of those who have attended an Appleseed. It includes those things
that did or would have made their experience more enjoyable. Remember that
you need to bring whatever it takes to learn to shoot better.
Personal items

➢ A teachable attitude (most important thing) *
➢ Elbow pads or shooting Jacket
➢ Ground cover (Rug remnant works well)
➢ A hat
➢ Little notebook (those little 2.5 X 3.5 work well)
➢ Pen
➢ Sun Screen
➢ Lots of water (Must stay hydrated)
➢ Light Lunch
➢ Snacks
➢ Folding Chair (not necessary but nice)
➢ Wet wipes
➢ Bug spray
➢ Aspirin or Ibuprofen
➢ Necessary clothing for any kind of weather
➢ Ear protection Muffs and plugs *
➢ Eye protection *
➢ Fred’s Guide to becoming a Rifleman (if you have it)

Gun related stuff

➢ Rifle preferably zeroed for 25 meters
➢ 400+ rounds of the same type and brand of ammo
➢ Sight adjustment tools
➢ GI style web Sling
➢ 5 Mags unloaded if not more. 20rds works well if State law allows
➢ Gun cleaning supplies and lube
➢ Instructions for your rifle (if you have them)
➢ Know your rifle
➢ Something to cover your rifle to keep blowing sand or rain off it.
➢ Staple gun (if you already have one)
➢ Staples
➢ Know the laws of the State you are going to and only bring that which is within the
law
➢ Back-up rifle (if you have one)

* Very important things

I would suggest a small 10x10 tarp to lay on the ground and some kind of bed roll to go on to of the tarp. The tarp makes policing brass a lot easier at the end of the day.

A staple gun is ALWAYS a good thing to have.

At least 4 10 round mags.

And a teachable attitude is THE most important thing to have with you.

From appleseedinfo.org;

Not everything listed here is necessary. This list was compiled from the
experience of those who have attended an Appleseed. It includes those things
that did or would have made their experience more enjoyable. Remember that
you need to bring whatever it takes to learn to shoot better.
Personal items

Thanks for the list. I have just about all of it, even a staple gun![wink] I need to get knee/elbow pads, but have a tarp.

If I didn't have a teachable attitude, I wouldn't be coming.

It's going to rain Saturday. Probably not all day, but for at least a good piece of it. We've shot in a lot worse.

And it's going to be in the 40's max.

Please dress for the rain. And being outside all day in the 40's. And laying down in mud.

Some observations from instructing in a tropical storm last year...

Eventually, your rain gear will allow you to get wet. Dress accordingly underneath. Wool is good...

HAVE A SHOOTING MAT!!!!! Otherwise you will be lying in the mud. Not conducive to learning. A tarp to place under the mat would be a VERY Good Thing. Note that if you don't have a shooting mat, a closed-cell foam camping pad works very well.

Your magazines ARE going to get wet when you drop them from your rifle. Try to not have them land in the mud (See "A tarp to place under the mat" above). This may keep you from having to strip your mags down overnight and clean and oil them. You might benefit from looking up how to clean them NOW instead of Saturday night.

Your cardboard boxes of ammo ARE going to get wet... and soggy. Putting your ammo in Glad plastic food storage containers wouldn't be a bad thing.

If you have a cheap scope... make sure you also have iron sights. During the shoot held in Tropical Storm Whatshername, my nephew learned within 30 minutes that a $5 scope doesn't survive a tropical storm, but a 45 year old Weaver (mine, that is) does. [smile]

Bring something to place over your rifle once it's cleared and we're not shooting it. If you don't care if it gets wet(ter), then don't. Your call. But a piece of plastic, weighted so it doesn't blow away, will keep your rifle from getting wet while it's just lying there.

Gloves will be a good thing as your hands ARE going to get cold.

I just had something come up and am not going to be able to attend.

Damn, Jim... you're just doing your best to ensure that we never meet, aren't you? [thinking]

.Damn, Jim... you're just doing your best to ensure that we never meet, aren't you? [thinking][thinking]

If there is anybody who wants a free 2-day pass to an Appleseed please let me know - I already paid for it and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

I was going to post a Karma thread - but I figured this one would be the best place to post first. If anybody wants it - please send me a PM.

I do have an EZ-Up 10x10' Pop-up shelter; should I bring that with me? If it's welcome in the action pits, it would provide decent shelter for a few shooters besides my wife and I...

Yeah. Any shelters are welcome. From experience they work better in between strings back from the firing line than actually on the line, but I guess it's your shelter and you can put it wherever you want.

Most of the pits have something like that already, but the 300 yard range needs one or two badly and it'd be nice to have one on the 65 yard range too.

Last edited:
Any chance someone has a 1/16 roll pin punch and/or a spare sight adjustment tool? Cannot get the rear windage knob changed and cannot find the tool from my AR. Midway was out or I would have just ordered one.

Thanks.

Crak , good to see in the other thread that Harvard can't sell out.
So walks on are ok?
I just received the go ahead yesterday and didn't have time to preregister and will be a walk on for Saturday only.
If it hasn’t been mentioned, I suggest that people have rain pants.
I also have a 10x10 easy-up i will bring.
Ready to learn.

Can't sell out from pre-regs. We would just find more instructors if the pre-regs showed it. But we can't exactly go find more instructors Saturday morning for a whole bunch of walk-ons. Right now, we have just about exactly how many instructors we'd need for the pre-regs, so there might not be space for walk-ons.

There is still time to pre-reg. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I think I have a pop-up (if I can find the poles) and I have a considerable amount of thick billboard vinyl for ground cover if needed. It's heavy (70+ pounds/billboard) but indestructible, and makes a great slip & slide if you put the printed side up.

I was hoping for sun, but this'll give me a chance to see if Frogg Toggs are really waterproof I guess.

Back
Top Bottom