Harvard, MA Appleseed April 17-18 2010

Folks, this event last year was the 2nd biggest in the country that day, out of something like 55 of them.

I was there the last 2 years, won't be this year, as I'll be running the Appleseed at Middlebury, VT.

If you wait to register too long, it is entirely possible it may get sold out. Then you might have to travel further that weekend to get the same training you could have gotten closer to you.

I thought that you needed a 400yd range to qualify for a Rifleman's patch... and HSC only has a 200yd range. Am I mistaken? I had been planning on waiting for the next one at the Jericho range.

-MS

I thought that you needed a 400yd range to qualify for a Rifleman's patch... and HSC only has a 200yd range. Am I mistaken? I had been planning on waiting for the next one at the Jericho range.

-MS

It is done at 25 meters with simulated full distance targets to so you can use rim fire rifles.

In fact, earn the patch now so you aren't wasting time or ammo at Jericho. Not all that much changes from 25m to full distance.

When is the next Jericho? I just treated myself to a M14 clone and I am dying to let it stretch its legs. [mg]

So, how do these Appleseed shoot work? what type of skills/equipment does one need to have?

A rifle capable of shooting around 1000 rounds in a weekend (in good working shape). I suggest a 10/22 for the use of cheap ammo. Either iron sights or scope, if irons I suggest military aperture style. A USGI style sling, and enough magazines to bring 40 rounds to the firing line at a time. A mat to put on the ground so you are not laying prone on the dirt. A teachable attitude.

Things that are nice to have would be a folding chair, water, baseball hat, staple gun, Tupperware container to keep ammo in (in case it rains).

The first one I went to I brought my girlfriend who had ZERO experience with a rifle. I walked in with a bit of a cocky attitude as I was fresh out of the military, and I was quite humbled. So ALL levels of experience are welcome, FWIW my mother is going to this event and she has never handled a rifle before recently.

You will be taught the basics of safe handling of a rifle, proper use of a sling, sight alignment/sight picture, standing, sitting and prone shooting positions, trigger control, and how to read what your target is telling you (what you are doing wrong). You will also hear the story of the beginning of the revolutionary war, and how the rifleman won us our nation.

It is by far the best shooting clinic for the money. Go, you not be disappointed.

This is a great event... and holding it in the Lexington / Concord area on the anniversary of the original Riflemen defending their homes and property makes it even more phenomenal. Last year, my son and I joined Fred and several of the other instructors to walk on Lexington Green at dawn on the anniversary of the "shot heard 'round the world." My son & I then went to the North Bridge in Concord to see a re-enactment of the battle. I'll admit to having difficulty seeing as I stood on the North Bridge while a pair of buglers played "Taps" with the echo... The cannon and musket fire really brought alive the history of the day.

I highly recommend attendance at this event. Make 100% sure that your equipment is capable of shooting 1000 rounds... failures in your rifle will mess up your ability to achieve the Rifleman standard (ask me how I know... my rifle was properly zeroed, but began to have FTF problems). The instructors are excellent, the venue is well-suited to the event, and if you are trainable, you will learn a lot!

it is ok for people to come and watch? id love to see this but im not ready equipment/training wise yet

it is ok for people to come and watch? id love to see this but im not ready equipment/training wise yet

It's impossible to be not ready training wise. They start from the beginning. If you have a rifle that works and a decent amount of ammo for it, you're good to go equipment wise. Sure it's nice to have everything mentioned above, but everything beyond a safe reliable rifle is bonus.

It also needs to be magazine-fed with at least a five-round capacity, yes? (i.e., no single-loaders.)

They'll work with you with what you have. A 10-22 with tech-sights and sling, or a 22LR AR-15 are probably the optimal choices, but if it's safe and reliable, they'll work with you.

i suppose you are right. i dont have much interest in shooting timed shoots with a bolt action rifle to be honest [laugh]

I have seen guys with bolt 22's smoke guys running 10/22's, I was one of them. Removable magazines make it easier, but not an absolute requirement.

I have seen guys with bolt 22's smoke guys running 10/22's, I was one of them. Removable magazines make it easier, but not an absolute requirement.

I currently have a Savage MarkII heavy barrel/ accu triiger and a Marlin model 60. Would these be ok? I'm thinking about picking up a Rem 597 with the Target barrel and thunbhole stock just for the purpose of a Appleseed shoot. Scopes are ok?

Scopes are fine, I used one to get my patch, because I need to update my glasses prescription and couldn't see with the iron's. It sounds like your rig would do just fine, you may want to practice with dry firing to get a little faster working the bolt and changing mags but once you get it you will have one up on a semi guy like me.

Just as long as you have enough magazines to bring 40 rnds to the line, you will be fine. The AQT is 40 rounds in 4 minutes, 10 rnds standing, 10 rnds sitting/kneeling, 20 rnds prone.

One of the things I found to work out well last time was using a large tarp to put the shooting mats on. My gf and I shared one and at the end of the day most of the brass was collected on the tarp already, made policing brass that much easier.

I currently have a Savage MarkII heavy barrel/ accu triiger and a Marlin model 60. Would these be ok? I'm thinking about picking up a Rem 597 with the Target barrel and thunbhole stock just for the purpose of a Appleseed shoot. Scopes are ok?

Bring speedloaders for the Marlin 60 (McDonald's straws with one end taped closed work well) or extra mags for that Savage. Scopes are fine.

As far as the 597... I'd get the 10/22 instead. Why? Because I've seen two 597s on the line at Appleseed Shoots... and neither one made it through the 800-1200 rounds we go through in a weekend. Both of them barfed their extractors all over the ground. I've yet to see a 10/22 do that.

Read the LTR thread for suggested mods to your 10/22. Not necessary, but suggested.

As far as the 597... I'd get the 10/22 instead. Why? Because I've seen two 597s on the line at Appleseed Shoots... and neither one made it through the 800-1200 rounds we go through in a weekend. Both of them barfed their extractors all over the ground. I've yet to see a 10/22 do that.

ok, thanks for the advice. Picked up a 10/22 today. Now time for upgrades!

The extractor of my 10/22 is buried in the snow at Monadnock as of about 11am on Saturday unfortunately. Guess I have a reason to upgrade now.

REALLY??? Wow. First time I've ever heard of that happening. Oh, well... now you have a good excuse to get a Volquartsen Exact-Edge extractor for it. After seeing the difference it's made in my oldest 10/22, I put them in my other two.

My girlfriend brought her scoped MKII (heavy barrel, no accu-trigger) and shot better than I did. It'll be fine. Bring extra mags.

She just walked up behind me as I was typing this and says that while she prefers her bolt-guns, it was slightly frustrating to get the cadence down while working the bolt. Not enough to cause a real problem, though, especially with a short-throw .22LR gun.

Back
Top Bottom