Harris or Atlas

Ahhh no shit, thanks.

What does that help, just stability ?

I mean if you don't preload it, what doesn't happen ?
rifle jumps up more and gets off target - you lose target in your scope. it is just a technique, and it gets intuitive with time, not a rocket science.
it helps to have metal spikes on the bipod for legs, if you shoot from a wooden bench, or use a bench with a plank you can press bipod legs into. not a lot of pressure needed, just enough to flex the bipod a bit. if rifle still jumps up too much - means one needs a better muzzle break.

I'm looking at either brand for my rifle.
Already have one Harris, but looking to add one with pan/swivel capability.
The Harris with pan adapter comes in cheaper, but Atlas allows you to add different feet for different terrain.
Thoughts?
I only know of one Harris and she’s never on her feet !😂🇺🇸

Back when I used a bipod, it made it easier to shoot, more stable. Almost like using a sling to pull it tight against your shoulder.

Damn, makes me want to bring the rifle to the range and try again.. I used to just put the stock in my shoulder and use the bipod and monopod as a way to steady the rifle.

Maybe that's why my groups were inconsistent sometimes.

Damn, makes me want to bring the rifle to the range and try again.. I used to just put the stock in my shoulder and use the bipod and monopod as a way to steady the rifle.

Maybe that's why my groups were inconsistent sometimes.
I think it depends a lot on each person, rifle and how fast you want the follow up shot to be.

Maybe that was the cause of your groups not being great, maybe it wasn't.

I think it depends a lot on each person, rifle and how fast you want the follow up shot to be.

Maybe that was the cause of your groups not being great, maybe it wasn't.

I shoot a group pretty fast, maybe 1 second between each shot, 2 seconds at the most.

Seems the groups slowly start to degrade lol

Actually thinking about it, maybe 3 seconds between shots.

I don't shoot with a bipod, but found this link that may or may not help. Scroll down half way to section on pre loading bipod. Very interesting and will use info if I choose to go with a bipod in the future. Right now very comfortable with front bag only. Good luck.

For prone shooting you can also use a shooting mat. Most of them come with pockets for your bipod feet to allow you to preload your bipod.
Like this:
276544.jpg

Or you can go to extremes like this:
433394a4.jpg

Bags for the range , bipods for the woods

Bipods are almost useless on a bench compared to a bag

I have both Harris and atlas bipods , they collect dust unless I’m lugging the rifle through the woods during hunting season
I shoot almost exclusively off bipods at the range and I will 100% shoot tighter groups off one than a front bag. I also run a full arca front end on nearly all my guns so the position on the bench isn't a limiting factor for me.

I shoot almost exclusively off bipods at the range and I will 100% shoot tighter groups off one than a front bag. I also run a full arca front end on nearly all my guns so the position on the bench isn't a limiting factor for me.
I started using a bipod with a rear bag three years ago at range, and was surprised that I was more accurate than with front and rear bags. I use a Harris bipod.
I have not noticed difference preloading bipod or not, but I am using a 26” varmint barrel In a heavier stock

Ya shooting on a rest with bags like bench rest or F Class, free recoil yes.
You’re not free recoiling in tactical / PRS shooting its not practical.
Free recoil is applicable in some stages in PRS. Low recoiling cartridges in heavy rifles makes it practical in some situations. I practice it. There are a number of PRS training videos that show it on you tube. It’s still weird to touch off a shot with only trigger finger and thumb on back of trigger guard contacting rifle

Free recoil is applicable in some stages in PRS. Low recoiling cartridges in heavy rifles makes it practical in some situations. I practice it. There are a number of PRS training videos that show it on you tube. It’s still weird to touch off a shot with only trigger finger and thumb on back of trigger guard contacting rifle
Hmmmmm learn something new every single day.
If you know of a video or come across one could you please send it?

Hmmmmm learn something new every single day.
If you know of a video or come across one could you please send it?
it is really an ultimate bullshit, if somebody shoots a rifle with a 2 fingers tips contact only - they need that rifle shoved up their rectum.

it reminds me of some contraption i saw - a rifle sled mount with an extension cord for a trigger release that ends with a syringe style thingy to press. to each his own, of course, may be some get high from shooting a rifle same way they shoot up heroin up their veins.

Go to youtube. Video is Precision Rifle Network, Jim See Barricade Tutorial Part 1- Free recoil
would be fun for him to shoot an SVD like that, so the scope would come straight into his eye socket. what a stupid f#ckery...

he still uses a left hand there, so, there is more contact to the gun than just 2 finger tips, strictly speaking.

For prone shooting you can also use a shooting mat. Most of them come with pockets for your bipod feet to allow you to preload your bipod.
Like this:
View attachment 596077
This is the way.
If your shooting mat doesn’t have one of these pockets for the bipod feet, you could add them or get another mat.
Harris 6-9 with a podloc is my preference, you can really lean into it.
Im a fan of a rear monopod over a bag, but the great thing about the monopod is you can fold it up and still use a bag if you need to.

it is really an ultimate bullshit, if somebody shoots a rifle with a 2 fingers tips contact only - they need that rifle shoved up their rectum.

it reminds me of some contraption i saw - a rifle sled mount with an extension cord for a trigger release that ends with a syringe style thingy to press. to each his own, of course, may be some get high from shooting a rifle same way they shoot up heroin up their veins.
After watching the video a few times. I am inclined to say what he is doing is not “free recoil” and I will leave it at that.

View: https://youtu.be/4oaYYpDHTFU

Back
Top Bottom