Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter

Willie,

While the back-up is a nice set-up, it is impractical for my house.

1) I have a 2-year old son. I will not place any firearm where it can be reached by a child. The two shotguns are stored in a manner that does not allow him access to them. Hence a pistol close at hand till the shotguns can be obtained.

2) My bed's construction places the bottom of the mattress approximately 8" below the edge of the side-rail of the bed frame. That construction does not function with the back-up, which requires a bed whose mattress is exposed on the sides.

Every situation is different. When I lived alone without a child in the house, things were stored differently and I had different weapons of choice. Now I have two loved ones (fiancee and son) and I've adapted my response to the change in situation. As he grows up, things will change again.

BTW: I am already looking forward to being able to take him to the range and teach him to shoot when he's older. Unfortunately, that will be longer than I'd like, but he needs to be old enough to be responsible with a weapon before he can be trusted with one.

I did not know the circumstances. Very responsible reply. I have no children or grand children (heck just got married for the first time at 60). She has only one child (34 years old). It was just a suggestion as it works for me. [grin]

For me, a long gun is a non-starter for home defense because safe storage (all BS laws aside) is difficult when you have very young kids in the house.

A handgun in a Gunvault is quick to access for those that know how and very difficult for young kids.

Any recommendations as far as a safe is concerned? Have you used a Gunvault? Good stuff?

Last edited:
I call BS on this.

Cheapest 12guage 3inch slug is $5.49 for FIVE rounds on midwayusa.
Cheapest 12guage 3inch 00 buckshot is $5.89 for FIVE round on midwayusa.
3.5 inch shotgun ammo is even more expensive.

Cheapest 9mm 115 grain FMJ is $11.49/50 on midway.
Cheapest .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ is $19/50 on midway.
Walmart is even less if you can find it.

Now I know that most people use JHP for defense not FMJ, but you gotta practice, and handgun ammo is much cheaper if you want to practice compared to a shotgun.

When comparing defense handgun ammo to shotgun ammo prices above, it is a slight edge for the shotgun ammo bearing in mind that I am comparing premium handgun ammo with the cheapest shotgun ammo available on midway.
$24/20 for gold dot .45 ACP.
$20/20 for gold dot 9mm.

Shotgun ammo is more available however because no one is buying it. Though handgun ammo's availability is getting better.

Now with that aside,
All good points.
I do consider a shotgun to be better for an HD scenario. For me personally however, I am limited in my funds and so I cannot afford to practice with my handgun for CC and a shotgun for HD (I don't own a shotgun anyway, yet). So for me, I'll have to make due with a handgun for both CC and HD.

You can get a box of 25 Remmington 12g target shot nearly anywhere for less than $7 bucks.

because you can aim with it without knocking your teeth out. [wink]

I guess I am an exception as well. I can drop 10=12" plates basically as fast as I can pull the trigger on my M2 - at 30-45 ft (which is probably the outer limit of any self defense shooting).
I do prefer a straight stock, but have never had a problem with losing teeth or trouble aiming a pistol grip shotgun.
With a pistol it definitely takes more time and concentration.

Any recommendations as far as a safe is concerned? Have you used a Gunvault? Good stuff?

I have a Gunvault (the double height one with the keypad, not biometric) and so far so good. I've had it for two years and it's been fine. I put my carry gun in there so I basically use it every day.

I have it lag bolted into the floor. One recommendation I have is to go buy some standard lag bolts as opposed to the phillips head screws it comes with. Using a screwdriver inside the thing would be miserable but using a ratchet is easy.

Back
Top Bottom