• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun Safety Course Prices.

We'll be needing a new Maine NR permit in a few months and we'll be required to take another safety course. Can anyone here recommend a good place to take a course with a reasonable price? We're in the So. Shore. Thanks

So Maine requires this in -addition- to showing an existing other
state permit... ? that sucks.

-Mike

So Maine requires this in -addition- to showing an existing other
state permit... ? that sucks.

-Mike
Since April 15, 1990

If you have a cetificate of a course completion for any state, send a copy along with your NR application. In my experience, they accept this.
Yes they will but ours is over five years old. That's why I'm shopping now.

Perhaps you could contact your original instructor and maybe get a reduced rate on a "refresher" course. Just a thought.
He lost all his gun rights a few years ago because of a domestic charge against him. Also we no longer belong to the Rod&Gun club we took the course at. We do 99% of our shooting in Maine so we elected to not renew our membership.

You could check out the Rod and Gun club of New Bedford where I took mine. I think I paid $50 and it was done in 6 hours on a saturday.

We'll be needing a new Maine NR permit in a few months and we'll be required to take another safety course. Can anyone here recommend a good place to take a course with a reasonable price? We're in the So. Shore. Thanks
I've renewed my Maine permit twice. I did'nt have to take an additional safety course. Are you renewing with State Police?

I've renewed my Maine permit twice. I did'nt have to take an additional safety course. Are you renewing with State Police?
Yes,that's the only way I know of. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/non-resident application package.pdf
If you look at the bottom of the application right by where you sign it, it appears you have to show proof you took a course within the last five years. Please prove to me your right and I'm wrong.[smile] It would be great if I misunderstood what they said.

Armed Mainer, from what I read in the link, on the first page it states that if you previously submitted proof, you do not have to do so again. Or having served in military.

If not, as you may well know. $60 bucks to renew, up to 60 days for renewal, up to 6 months "grace" period.

WWW.Weaponcrafttraining.com has a good reputation in this state. I haven't trained there yet(got myself 70 acres to play on), but they look decent. About $125 a class and located in Cumberland, Maine.

Hope this helps.

Armed Mainer, read the following from page one of the non-resident instructions:

If this is a renewal of a permit issued by the Maine State Police and you
have previously submitted your military discharge, birth certificate or proof of
knowledge of handgun safety, you are not required to submit these materials
again. Please note that original copies of requested materials will not be returned.
Send completed materials to the address shown above. It will take
approximately thirty to sixty days to process your application. Any incomplete
packages received will be returned.

I have renewed and did not need to resubmit proof of competency. I think you are good to go!

Armed Mainer, read the following from page one of the non-resident instructions:

If this is a renewal of a permit issued by the Maine State Police and you
have previously submitted your military discharge, birth certificate or proof of
knowledge of handgun safety, you are not required to submit these materials
again. Please note that original copies of requested materials will not be returned.
Send completed materials to the address shown above. It will take
approximately thirty to sixty days to process your application. Any incomplete
packages received will be returned.

I have renewed and did not need to resubmit proof of competency. I think you are good to go!
Whew !! Thanks for that. When I took my first pistol course for my then Maine resident permit the instructor told us we'd have to take another course down the road. Looks like they've changed it which makes me a very happy camper. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Back
Top Bottom