Handgun recomendation

A newbie to the world of handguns. This past summer got my first, Ruger Mark III 22/45 6 7/8" barrel. Really enjoying it. Last month got a Ruger SP101 357. Just getting used to its kick. Already thinking of next one but not sure what to try. Any suggestions as to what might make a good addition? Thanks.

Well, you've got a .22 and a .357 so a .45 or 9mm would help round out the collection.
My suggestion is to get together with some friends at the range and try as many different kinds of handguns as you can to see what you like and fits your hand.

Where are you located? I'm sure some members here could assist. I belong to Hopkinton and would be glad to let you try a couple of different types/calibers.

images

You won't regret it!

The Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm is an excellent handgun for someone new to handguns.
Its quality made,accurate,moderately priced and most importantly user friendly.
Soon alot of people will be singing the praises of the S&W M&P line,resist peer-presure.
I assure you you will not have "Buyers-Remorse" with the Sig and will have it in your collection for many years to come...

I think suggestions will vary based on what your budget is. On the low to high end of the totem pole, you could choose a Ruger P345, S&W M&P, (9mm or 45ACP), Sig, Beretta, HK, 1911, (low medium and high end of the spectrum).

If you're after strictly 45ACP I'd go for an HK. Personally, as much as I love the 1911, I would suggest a Smith and Wesson M&P45, Sig220 or better yet, an HK USP45...But that's just me.

A newbie to the world of handguns. This past summer got my first, Ruger Mark III 22/45 6 7/8" barrel. Really enjoying it. Last month got a Ruger SP101 357. Just getting used to its kick. Already thinking of next one but not sure what to try. Any suggestions as to what might make a good addition? Thanks.
Budget? How often do you shoot? Have any plans to get into competition or shoot a lot at the range?

I try to get to the range at least once a week. I don't want to say I don't have a budget but I am willing to pay for quality. As I improve I would seriously consider competition.

Gotta love any good 1911 45acp. SW, Kimber, Rock Island, Colt..... I went a long time without buying one and I wish I hadn't. They are fun to shoot.

It depends what you want it for. Since you already have something in 357, I would like a full size blackhawk in .357/9mm, or if I was adverse to single action, then a S&W 686 in 357.
If you wanted to add a semiauto, I'd lean towards a SIG, but then I'm biased. If I didn't already have a SIG 229 in .40, I'd buy one in 9mm.

I like the S&W 9mm M&P it is my favroit range gun and prety cheep to shoot. On a daily bases I carry a glock 23. I am a big glock fan and enjoy there guns the most. I also have the M&P compact in 40 and don't like it so much. There are lots of options go to the gunshop and try out as many as you can.

That's such a broad question, and very personal - one person's favorite gun is another person's arch enemy. Unless you have specific requirements (carry, etc) the decision is 90% based on YOU, how the gun fits in your hand, how the recoil feels, and how you like shooting it. You could have a gun that's perfect on paper, but if you don't like shooting it, that paper perfection means nothing.

I'd try to get to a few guns stores or (better yet) the range and try as many different guns as you can. There are a few public ranges (MFL, AFS & Bob's) that have rental guns you can try out. Also, there are a ton of guys here with every firearm you can imagine - many have no problem meeting up with a new guy at the range and letting them try out their guns. Get some trigger time, and see what you like. So long as it's reliable, anything goes.

Suggestions:
  • Colt, Springfield or S&W 1911: probably the most prolific handgun platform of the 21st century.
  • Beretta 92FS: it's big and bulky, but SO much fun to shoot.
  • GLOCK: some people love 'em, some people hate 'em, but certainly worth looking at.
Avoid:
  • Para: they're nothing but trouble, IMHO.
  • S&W Sigma: quite possibly the worst firearm made by a respected gun manufacturer today.

Tip:
  • There are lots of good guns with bad triggers out there (see S&W M&P). It's amazing what a $50 trigger job can do to a gun. Keep that in mind before you rule out certain models.
  • Unless you're buying for carry, try to avoid anything small and light: light guns have more recoil, which will teach you bad habits, and you'll be less accurate with a small gun.
  • Don't go cheap. A lot of guys try to go cheap on their first gun(s) and they end up with a gun that's unreliable and requires more time and effort that it's worth - they end up spending even more money on gunsmiths, or dumping the thing at a loss. In the end, you're better off spending the extra $50 or $100 and getting the right gun up front.

Fixed it for you.

True, but some guns seem particularly overpriced.. Just looking through classifieds on here and a couple stores, Sigs in Mass. don't seem too far off the general US market price. I'm guessing because of the short supply with dealers not being able to sell particular models.

Go to Quincy and check out sportsmans den. Ron the owner has Sig 226 for $449 they are police trade in so have lot of holster wear but shot very little. If your worried about the looks pick up a can of brownells aluma hyde II and refinish the slide.

But for $449 for a Sig that is hard to beat!

They're just so damn expensive in this state..

They are...There are however deals out there - especially from fellow NES members...(ask me how I know) - [wink] Some things also are worth the money and in my personal opinion, HK's are among those things. It is after all a personal choice, but for me, my HK USP 45f is one of the nicest 45ACP's I have ever had the pleasure of owning. If God forbid I wind up destitute and eating out of a trash dumpster, my HK USP 45 will be under my cloak of burlap and extra mags in my squeaky shopping cart...[grin]

Go to Quincy and check out sportsmans den. Ron the owner has Sig 226 for $449 they are police trade in so have lot of holster wear but shot very little. If your worried about the looks pick up a can of brownells aluma hyde II and refinish the slide.

But for $449 for a Sig that is hard to beat!
+1 and 9mm is comparatively inexpensive.

lots of suggestion

but be careful of how many calibers you want to shoot, it can get
real expensive.

as for the 1911 in 45acp i definitly agree with that.

JimB

Lots of good suggestions in the thread. You have one pistol in rimfire and one centerfire revolver, so I would suggest a centerfire pistol next. Something in 9mm would be less expensive to feed if you shoot on a regular basis. It would also give you an idea of what you might like to investigate further.

Two additional suggestions: Never sell your first gun. Ever. If you do, you'll regret it. Secondly, after you acquire another gun or two, you may want to look into reloading, especially if you do a lot of shooting. You'll have to lay out more money up front, but you'll have an endless supply of ammo to feed your guns.

You sound like you're off to a good start. Enjoy! [smile]

Lots of good suggestions in the thread. You have one pistol in rimfire and one centerfire revolver, so I would suggest a centerfire pistol next. Something in 9mm would be less expensive to feed if you shoot on a regular basis. It would also give you an idea of what you might like to investigate further.

Two additional suggestions: Never sell your first gun. Ever. If you do, you'll regret it. Secondly, after you acquire another gun or two, you may want to look into reloading, especially if you do a lot of shooting. You'll have to lay out more money up front, but you'll have an endless supply of ammo to feed your guns.

You sound like you're off to a good start. Enjoy! [smile]

Good suggestions! My first center fire pistol was an HK Vp70z I picked up for my 21st Birthday, (am 44 now). I was shooting it today...[wink]

I was recently in the same situation and what I did was went to a couple of ranges and rented some guns to see what I liked and shot the best. Everyone had an opinion, .45.9mm etc.
Well I could not decide on just one so I got a Sig 226 in .40 and a Smith and Wesson 686 .357 revolver. I know about the 40 debate but I shot it so well I could not resist. And it was a beat to crap rental.

Just so you know, there is a guy who posts here that is going to recommend that you get a 155 Howitzer with a pistol grip. I think his name is Coyle. In his defense, I fired a 500 mag this weekend and was very surprised at how well it preformed. It may be my next purchase. It's not short on power.

Soon alot of people will be singing the praises of the S&W M&P line,resist peer-presure.
I assure you you will not have "Buyers-Remorse" with the Sig and will have it in your collection for many years to come...

+1 on this advice. This was my first handgun and I love it. 9mm is very manageable.

One thing... replace the grips with Hogue finger grips on this one... it makes a huge difference.

Best,

Rich

+1

As others have stated 9 mm is wicked cheap. Just a word of warning. Once you go Sig...all others pale in comparison [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom