Hakim

Very nice! I recently picked up a MAS 49/56, one day I'd like to get a Hakim and an FN49 as well, round out the mid-century "classic" battle rifles :D

I got it for $375.00. You have to be careful of Yugo ammo. I almost blew up my 1st one case split. They are a head turner at the club. You have to know to close gas off when 1st shooting it with new ammo the open it one click at a time until I ejects nice. If you run with it wide open it's dumping to much gas into bolt.

I sold mine because I didn't enjoy cleaning it after shooting and non corrosive 8mm ammo is expensive. Fun rifles to shoot though.

Love my Hakim too! I have to run it with the gas port almost completely closed (1 click open) or it cycles harder than necessary. Unless they are dirty or something, you probably never need to turn it up any higher than that. I've got new recoil springs in mine as well and there's no ammo (50s yugo, 90s yugo sniper, 80s romanian steel case, modern reloads) it doesn't work just fine with at 1 click open. It does seem to like the lighter ammo better than the heavy stuff but works fine with either.

Loads of fun, I shot mine a lot and at one point the front sight blade literally just fell out of its slot! lol a little threadlock took care of that though.

As for using corrosive ammo, my method is to bring some WD40 with me and after I'm finished shooting it (while still at the range) I lock back the bolt and stick the spray tube from the WD40 in the gas tube at the breech and flood the tube with it while holding the muzzle pointing down until it starts to run out the barrel. I leave it on the rack or whatever with the muzzle down to continue draining while it cools. Then I just clean the bolt and bore normally with Mpro7 when I get home. Since the gas tube is stainless, the WD40 treatment seems to be plenty for that part.

Still have one of those on my wish list. Almost bit at a show about a year ago, but at $650, the guy wouldn't budge. You got a very fair deal.

I just bought one on GB 5 minutes ago. The bore is frosty but the gun looks like it will make a great shooter once the bore is cleaned up. Spoke to the seller over the phone (a great guy) and he's very discriminating about his guns. If it ain't perfect he's cleaning it out his inventory. I like the chances that this big boy will be a diamond in the rough. At $350 I couldn't pass it up!

Last edited:
I have three Hakims. I purchased my first one over 15 years ago. I love shooting them. I was lucky and purchased 8mm ammo , 900 rounds a case for $85 per tin at the Rockingham NH show years ago. Yugo 1950 era ammo. I am going to have to dig one out now and take it to the range. I was lucky all of mine had new gas tubes excellent bores and one which I purchased from a fellow NES member came with an extra brand new barrel [smile]

I've had my Hakim since the late 80's. It never fails to spark interest or a comment at the range.
Many guns have come and gone over the years, but the Hakim has always been a keeper.
I refer to mine as "the oar".

Back
Top Bottom