Range Mishap to Mil Surp. WARNING: Graphic images for Hakim fans

Went to the range today with my wifey, two new lab puppies, best friend and his two daughters. Was meant to be a nice way to spend a pleasant fall afternoon with family, friends and our favorite milsurps. First up was my Hakim that I picked up a month ago. I just got several hundred rounds of Egyptian 8mm to feed it. The gas port was already turned down to the lowest setting so I thought that would be a good place to start. A fired off a few dozens rounds with no problems. It ejected the brass nicely and was working flawlessly. I just loaded a full magazine and managed once again to avoid getting the dreaded Hakim thumb (10 times worse than the Garand thumb!!). I fired the rifle and instead of the normal hefty recoil and ear splitting bang, I got a jackhammer to my left hand, a kick to my forehead and a bang that sounded like a 105mm howitzer going off. I looked down at the rifle in shock and realized that I had a blow out. It was about that time I realized that I might not be in the same condition that I showed up to the range in. My last two fingers on my left hand were throbbing and I knew that something bit me in my forehead. My best friend rushed over to me and immediately starting checking me for injuries. Somehow the big lady upstairs was looking over me and I was able to walk away in good shape. The Hakim wasn't so lucky.

BEFORE:
Hakim-1.jpg

AFTER:
20141109_145227.jpg

20141109_145210.jpg

Looks like all the rounds in the magazine detonated at once. You can see just above the rifle in both pics a rectangular indentation in the wood. The bottom of the magazine blew out, flipped over and was embedded there. I found one 8mm bullet on the ground at my feet. I could not find any other pieces from the other rounds. The receiver and barrel actually appear to be intact with no visible damage (at least from a cursory inspection). The magazine is trashed. The top and bottom blew out, spring is no where to be found. The bottom trigger plate burst and the stock blew out on both sides. The large chunk of wood from the left side was found about 20 feet away.

Once I realized that all my fingers were still there and no major damage to my face (a small cut on my forehead), I pulled out my Suomi M31, M1 carbine and Garand and went back to making holes in paper. All in all, it was a good day. Lost a rifle and a good pair of underwear, but still have all my fingers, eyesight and hearing! I'm just grateful that my wife had just taken our new puppies and my friend's youngest daughter off for a hike in the woods and they didn't see the incident. Now that would have been ugly!!

EEEP. Glad you're OK. Fortunately I've never suffered worse than a split case.

...and I was thinking (a little) of getting a Hakim!

T

Dude...thank God you and everyone were OK. I just took delivery of a Hakim that I got off eBay. This really hits home for me as I haven't even had a chance to fire mine yet. This post will be on my mind when I take her out for her first range test!

Mine came without an original magazine...wanna sell yours cheap? [rofl]

Holy shit! Glad you're more or less okay! I've no idea what I'm looking at, what could cause all of the rounds to pop at once?

Could have been worse. I have a buddy that lost his dominant eye when he blew up a Springfield.

What do you think caused it?

Same thing happen to me but not as bad. It blew out the mag. I could not find the shell after. I was shooting Yugo 1955 ammo the shell split and blew back in to mag. It split the stock a little. I took ten years off my life. I shoot Rom. Ammo now. I should of know better I was shoot the same ammo out of my k98 had a few split on me but the K98 made to handle that when it happens. Glad your ok.

Glad you're ok! That could have ended much differently.

I suspect the ammo you were using to be the culprit. Can you post a pic of a headstamp from one of the rounds?

If the powder had deteriorated and started breaking down, it could go off like that. I kinda doubt the other rounds went off too, probably just got blown out somewhere. I like to shake my surplus ammo to make sure I can hear the powder moving around in it before I use it. When it breaks down, it can tend to clump/stick together.

Glad you're ok! That could have ended much differently.

I suspect the ammo you were using to be the culprit. Can you post a pic of a headstamp from one of the rounds?

If the powder had deteriorated and started breaking down, it could go off like that. I kinda doubt the other rounds went off too, probably just got blown out somewhere. I like to shake my surplus ammo to make sure I can hear the powder moving around in it before I use it. When it breaks down, it can tend to clump/stick together.
That wouldn't surprise me. (Aside from not being able find any other remnants of the rounds aside from one bullet and a small piece of brass shrapnel that was embedded in my ball cap).

Here's the headstamp. Iranian ammo from the 50s. Bought a 400 round lot online.
Thought it was Egyptian ammo but just looked it up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415578699785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415578699785.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 189
How do all the rounds go off at once?

On a side note, how do you strike a weapon off your blue book? "Destroyed" under "disposition?"

T

I remember someone saying the Iranian surplus was bad ammo.

Is the rifle salvageable? There are lots of Hakim parts out there.

If you're a member on Gunboards you should post this over there too. There are a lot of very knowledgeable shooters there that may be able to help.

I'm familiar with the Iranian (technically Persian) 8mm ammo. Its decent stuff except the primers tend to go bad. I usually just pull the bullet and swap the contents into primed brass, reseat and shoot it (bonus being its not corrosive then!). Its all shot well, no issues so far though it doesn't mean there couldn't be deteriorating ones in the bunch.

I sincerely doubt they all went off at once for 2 reasons, first - smokeless powder is a propellant not an explosive like black powder. And second, there's not enough damage to the inside of the mag if 6 or 7 rounds exploded simultaneously. I think you'd be at the hospital having shrapnel removed if that happened.

That sucks. I'd hate to have a firearm detonate on me. I don't know anything about Hakims, but could it have gone off while the bolt was open like it jammed and hit the primer? It look like it blew out through the magazine like an AR does.

How do all the rounds go off at once?

On a side note, how do you strike a weapon off your blue book? "Destroyed" under "disposition?"

T

Yes you can write destroyed as a means of disposition.

I sincerely doubt they all went off at once for 2 reasons, first - smokeless powder is a propellant not an explosive like black powder. And second, there's not enough damage to the inside of the mag if 6 or 7 rounds exploded simultaneously. I think you'd be at the hospital having shrapnel removed if that happened.

I agree. I just can't fathom where the remaining rounds went to. I know that at least one detonated out of battery as I got hit with shards of brass and found a bullet on the ground. The casing from the first round was still in the chamber. We looked all over for the remaining rounds but couldn't find them at all. The mag blew straight downward as evidenced by the deep impression the mag plate made in the bench. I read quite a few different articles about the Hakim blowing up firing the Yugo and Romanian surplus ammo. I guess you can now add Iranian ammo to that list. Funny, I was just telling my buddy right before it blew that I was thinking about pulling all the 8mm surplus rounds I just got and reloading them with modern powder and primers so I wouldn't have to deal with corrosive ammo.

WOW! All I have to say is good thing your ok,and God was looking over you.

Could have been worse. I have a buddy that lost his dominant eye when he blew up a Springfield.

What do you think caused it?
Any word on that failure.... low serial# bolt find its way into that rifle? Franco was telling me about that one.

Two important things.

1. You are still able to report on the incident. Glad there was no permanent injury.

2. This is an educational opportunity, on both the volatility of potentially aged ammo, and the operational dynamics of the gun which fires the ammo.

I agree with posting over on Gunboards. There is a very large community of collectors/shooters who could possibly shed more light from either personal experience, or from relating similar known experiences. And the documentation for a nation/world wide audience would be beneficial.

WOW! All I have to say is good thing your ok,and God was looking over you.

I disagree. If God was looking over him the the mishap would never have occurred AND his Hakim would self generate ammo so he wouldn't ever need to buy it. [smile]

I seen some Iranian 30/06 at a gun shop. I wouldn't shoot it out of any gun.

I was just thinking the same thing.......I bought some and shot it last year with no issues but won't be getting any more iranian surp from here on out.

I was thinking about pulling all the 8mm surplus rounds I just got and reloading them with modern powder and primers so I wouldn't have to deal with corrosive ammo.

Its only the primers that are corrosive so if you have primed brass you can pull the bullet, dump the powder right into the primed brass (leaving the bullet in the collet puller) and visually inspect it as you pour to make sure it doesn't look or smell off and then just reseat the bullet into the new case right from the collet. Then crimp if you like (I do). Quick and simple. And if the powder looks or smells off when you're doing one, just keep the bullet and dump the rest.

Its only the primers that are corrosive so if you have primed brass you can pull the bullet, dump the powder right into the primed brass (leaving the bullet in the collet puller) and visually inspect it as you pour to make sure it doesn't look or smell off and then just reseat the bullet into the new case right from the collet. Then crimp if you like (I do). Quick and simple. And if the powder looks or smells off when you're doing one, just keep the bullet and dump the rest.
That's a good idea. I've usually dumped the powder entirely before but if it's still good, why toss it.

Just nit picking, but don't you need 2 cuts to the receiver to qualify as "destroyed" by BATFE's standards?

Back
Top Bottom