H&K Legal, scratch that, MA Compliant... As Of......

I'd definitely like to see more in the state. I just don't believe the "no compromises" hype, any more than I buy into the "Glock perfection" hype, or the 1911 hype. They all have good points and bad.

I'd like to see if the HK45 has fixed some of the things I don't like about the USPc.

I agree, I try not to buy into marketing. It's all about how well it works. For me, getting used to the USP trigger was a big hurdle (especially when I had a 1911 in mind when I first walked into the shop on that fateful night), but a few thousand rounds later, it's not such a big deal anymore. I'd love to try an HK45 sometime and see how it stacks up against it though.

Interesting thread. FS and Blue Northern are pre-selling Sig P238's based on the expectation that they will be on the next approved firearms list. Why wouldn't they be doing the same with HK's?

If I had to take a guess, it's probably because Sig regularly gets guns approved for sale in MA, and HK has been trying for 12 years.

I agree, I try not to buy into marketing. It's all about how well it works. For me, getting used to the USP trigger was a big hurdle (especially when I had a 1911 in mind when I first walked into the shop on that fateful night), but a few thousand rounds later, it's not such a big deal anymore. I'd love to try an HK45 sometime and see how it stacks up against it though.

If I had to take a guess, it's probably because Sig regularly gets guns approved for sale in MA, and HK has been trying for 12 years.

You and M1911 are welcome to try mine at HSC sometime.

The only negative I can say about the HK45 is that the trigger, IMO, does suck. The DA is heavy, a bit gritty and builds but the SA isn't great either. The SA on a typical SIG P-series has a reasonably crisp break (not 1911 crisp but it's there). The SA on the HK45 doesn't have that and it takes getting used to. I don't have enough experience with a USP to draw a valid comparison.

I like everything else about it.

The only negative I can say about the HK45 is that the trigger, IMO, does suck. The DA is heavy, a bit gritty and builds but the SA isn't great either. The SA on a typical SIG P-series has a reasonably crisp break (not 1911 crisp but it's there). The SA on the HK45 doesn't have that and it takes getting used to. I don't have enough experience with a USP to draw a valid comparison.
That sounds very similar to my USPc trigger, which is one of the main things I don't like about it. I agree with your description of Sig triggers -- not a 1911, but not bad and better than HK USP.

That sounds very similar to my USPc trigger, which is one of the main things I don't like about it. I agree with your description of Sig triggers -- not a 1911, but not bad and better than HK USP.

DrGrant tried it and I believe he said it's like a USP but somewhat better.

Did I mention the HK45 is cool looking?

Well then, it's decided. [wink]

We should get together sometime at HSC. I'll bring my USPc .45 and we can compare.

I'll definitely be going between Christmas and New Years. I'll send you a PM when it gets closer.

Did I mention the HK45 is cool looking?

You have also said you are a girly girl who can't shoot a man's trigger... [laugh][wink]

It is a very good gun and the trigger is not that bad at all. It is really an excellently balanced and shaped firearm. I have said it in the past, this is the gun that JMB would have made in 2011 if he was to make it today. It really is that good and this is not H&K fan boism. The USP is nothing in comparison to this firearm.

I put a LEM trigger in my HK45 and thought it was an improvement. Having said that I am still not as happy with it as I had hoped and probably will sell it. It's just my personal taste, but if I wanted a .45 (and these days I don't), then the M&P 45 feels like the better of the two to me which is amazing given the cost.

DrGrant tried it and I believe he said it's like a USP but somewhat better.

Compared to the USP series the HK45 is f**king awesome, especially in terms of the ergonomics of it- it is way better for smaller handed shooters than the USP full line is. It is easy to hang onto the gun under recoil and get it back on target.

I've owned a ton of USPs. Still have my USP Tac .45..... but I only really want one other HK, and that's the one. The only thing I don't like about it is that the magazines are stupidly expensive, but at least they're a straight 10 rounds and you're not spending money on an "intentionally crippled" magazine.

-Mike

I put a LEM trigger in my HK45 and thought it was an improvement. Having said that I am still not as happy with it as I had hoped and probably will sell it. It's just my personal taste, but if I wanted a .45 (and these days I don't), then the M&P 45 feels like the better of the two to me which is amazing given the cost.

Which LEM kit did you put in, the 5 pound or the 7 pound?

-Mike

Last edited:
Well then, it's decided. [wink]

We should get together sometime at HSC. I'll bring my USPc .45 and we can compare.

I'll definitely be going between Christmas and New Years. I'll send you a PM when it gets closer.

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to get in on this too. I can even bring my USP 40 and you can both laugh at me. [laugh]

Or it could be their trying to get rid of some surplus in odd calibers.... Really? Your going to "break into" a new market with .357 sig and .40sw? .357 sig is cool, but to expensive for me too shoot and .40 just sucks. Even the PD's are moving avay from it

I wouldn't infer anything about HK's motives (or lack thereof) from the guns listed on the roster. Those guns listed on the roster have been on there for like TWO PLUS years. IIRC the only reason the guns are on there at all is because HK was trying to score some big PD contracts in MA, and either part of the condition of those contracts was to get the guns on the roster, or because HK wanted LEOs to be able to buy similar versions of the guns off duty.

-Mike

Last edited:
All,
I emailed the AG's office to find out when/if the EEOPS list would ever be approved. This is the response i received:

from Email Correspondence (AGO) <[email protected]>
to (REMOVED FOR PRIVACY)
date Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM
subject RE: Approved Firearms Roster
mailed-by state.ma.us

hide details 2:18 PM (3 hours ago)

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting the Office of Attorney General Martha Coakley. Your message has been forwarded to me for response.

The Attorney General's Handgun Sales regulations fall under the state's consumer protection law and are designed to protect consumers and their families from unsafe handguns and unfair or deceptive practices by handgun dealers and manufacturers. The regulations effectively ban cheap "Saturday Night Specials" and require all handguns sold in Massachusetts to include child-proofing measures, tamper-proof serial numbers, and safety warnings.

The roster of guns compiled and published by the Executive Office of Public Safety & Security (EOPSS) are those that meet the criteria stated in G. L. c. 140. If a handgun is listed on the EOPS roster, it can be sold in Massachusetts by a handgun dealer if it meets the additional safety-related requirements under the handgun sales regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, or is otherwise exempt from those requirements.

The Attorney General's Office has not issued a list of handguns that meet the safety requirements of the regulations. If you are unsure whether a handgun on the EOPSS roster meets the additional safety requirements of our Office's regulations, you should contact the manufacturer, who should be able to provide you with that information.

I hope this information will be useful, and thank you again for contacting the Office of Attorney General Martha Coakley.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Downing
Constituent Services Coordinator
Public Inquiry & Assistance Center
Office of the Attorney General Martha Coakley
(617) 963-2863

[rofl]

Congratulations!!!!!! you are now the 65,536th person to receieve that non answer from the AG's office.

-Mike

I wish they would come back out with the P7. I want one, but I don't dig the fact that they are all worth more becuase they are out of production...

yeah i saw that. its a bummer that they are so pricey.

I'm more willing to spend $650-700 on a 3rd gen Glock 17L then like $1,400 on a P7...
I'd love to buy one of those P7s, just for coolness factor, but I need to get some gunsmithing done on my Model 66, and I need a new upper for my AR15, and I need new snow tires for my truck, and, and, and...

So many choices, so little money. Sigh.

Last edited:
I think the P7 will retain its value very nicely.

They are all over gunbroker for under 800. There's a REAL nice grade A for 750 right now, but it's the one with the warning statement on it, not quite as "ooooo aaahhh" as the other ones.

Back
Top Bottom