Guns found in Worcester

If I am the medic who responds, I would ask you to render it safe, and then ask you where you would like me to put it for you. I am not concerned if I come across a patient wearing a gun in a holster, However if I find you with a gun jammed in your waistband, then I begin to have doubts and the police will get involved.

Of course, some people use their waistband as a holster, so those people are now out of luck in your book?

If I am the medic who responds, I would ask you to render it safe, and then ask you where you would like me to put it for you. I am not concerned if I come across a patient wearing a gun in a holster, However if I find you with a gun jammed in your waistband, then I begin to have doubts and the police will get involved.

I don't agree with this. There have been two times when someone, in broad daylight, drove into my driveway and pulled up in front of my garage and stopped.

One time it was a Budget Rental Truck and I grabbed my firearm (S&W J Frame) and tucked it into my pocket.

Just because I don't have it in a holster you're suspecting that I don't have a license to carry? Hmm...

Boston Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1150914

A 54-year-old Worcester man was arrested late Saturday night after a jaw-dropping stash of 81 firearms and other dangerous contraband was discovered earlier that evening in his home by fire officials who had been sent to his home on a medical call.

“I never would have thought the man had that many weapons. He’s very quiet and reclusive. I didn’t even realize he had guns,” said neighbor John Crowley, 70. “I thought he may have had a heart attack when I saw all the cruisers. You don’t see four or five cruisers like that unless someone dies. I was really surprised when I picked up the paper. It’s an unusual situation.”

Worcester police arrested Paul D. Mateiko on four counts of illegal possession of a machine gun and one count of illegal possession of an infernal machine.

Among the 81 firearms initially discovered Saturday night, ere long guns, handguns, and three machine guns. Many rounds of ammunition and several components for explosive devices were also found on the scene.

Police said a search early yesterday morning yielded 20 more firearms, including an additional machine gun, thousands more rounds of ammunition, three-quarters of a pound of C-4 explosives, blasting caps and other explosive devices.

Mateiko is being held on $15,000 cash bail and is expected to be arraigned today in Worcester County Central District Courthouse.

Mateiko has an active license to carry firearms but does not have a license to possess machine guns.

Dowd doesn't get his mitts on guns that are "evidence", just ones not the subject of any criminal investigation that are taken away, generally due to a 209A.

I assume that all of the guns that are NOT "machine guns" can be sent to a storage facility which will then rape the guy in storage fees and end up with free guns for themselves.

Love the idea that somone just charges you with "machine gun" possession without having to actually find out if the thing is actually full auto. Cripes, you can get a lower with the full auto graphic on it and not have a machine gun. You can get an ak with the 3 selector markings on it and not be full auto too.

The blasting caps and other stuff sounds like he is on the end of a losing battle with this one though.

From today's T&G article

He was charged with four counts of illegal possession of a machine gun and possession of an infernal machine (C-4 plastic explosives). He was being held at the police station last night and will be arraigned today in Central District Court.

“He is licensed to carry, but not for the machine guns,” Sgt. Hazelhurst said. “It was a pretty potentially volatile situation. He is licensed to carry, but this goes above and beyond.”

“There wasn’t a single room in the house where we didn’t find a weapon,” Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr. said. “I have never seen anything like this before. It was absolutely incredible.”

When asked if Mr. Mateiko showed any signs of being a threat, the captain replied, “Anyone with that kind of stuff is inherently a threat. He had never been on our radar before and there was no cause for us to have any fear of him before.”

Well, a table leg, letter opener, or work boot could be a weapon. Did they find firearms strewn about? That's certainly the implication.

My emphasis. Sounds like the guy has some issues. No Trespassing sign in his yard, vehicles covered by camo tarpaulins, firearms "stored" haphazardly... and the C-4. Still, I can't place my finger on it, but the article implies that simply possession of X number of firearms makes an individual a threat. What, praytell, is the magic number?

Last edited:
http://telegram.com/article/20090209/NEWS/902090350/1116

they apparently didn't search the guy's house when there were shots fired a while back, just when he called for an ambulance:
"Gunshots rang out in the late night air.

“I heard bang, bang, bang bang. There were like eight, 10 shots,” he said. "

so ... c-4. how does evidence you destroy as soon as you collect (remind me to check out green hill park) work in a court?

Last edited:
Possession of a machine gun with no testing, based upon someone at the house "recognizing" one of the guns as a FA? Doubtful. Although I see him with unlawful storage and then being deemed "unsuitable" as well as the company holding the weapons endig up owning them after all the "reasonable" storage fees.

although... according to the SCOTUS... MA storage laws are unconstitutional.

at best, i could see him being finded for violating local Fire Dept. regs on storage of ammo and reloading supplies... but... if he had a legal permit...

yes, i know that MA doesnt apply the SCOTUS ruling yet, but here is a perfect example.

although... according to the SCOTUS... MA storage laws are unconstitutional.

at best, i could see him being finded for violating local Fire Dept. regs on storage of ammo and reloading supplies... but... if he had a legal permit...

yes, i know that MA doesnt apply the SCOTUS ruling yet, but here is a perfect example.
The SCOTUS ruling concerned the DC storage laws, which were quite different than the MA storage laws. I do not think it is clear that MA laws would be considered unconstitutional under the Heller decision.

I think the MA storage laws are crap, but I don't think that the Heller decision will necessarily invalidate them.

Are we all forgetting the C4 he was in possession of??? Yeah, it sucks that the guns have become the focus of this because they are really not the real issue here, regardless of that dickwad Gemme's personal crusade against private gun ownership. The C4 is an issue here, assuming it really was C4. He didn't even hide it, but left it in the fridge. And someone above asked about the chain of evidence on the C4 and it is a good question. How can they convict him of having the C4 if they blew up the evidence?

KilgoreTrout said:
... Sounds like the guy has some issues. No Trespassing sign in his yard, vehicles covered by camo tarpaulins, firearms "stored" haphazardly... and the C-4. Still, I can't place my finger on it, but the article implies that simply possession of X number of firearms makes an individual a threat. What, praytell, is the magic number?

ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
FOR POLICE OFFICER
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT​

As of the date of appointment, applicants must have either:

a high school diploma or equivalency certificate approved by the Massachusetts Department of Education OR
three years experience in the armed forces of the United States with last release or discharge under honorable conditions

http://wbztv.com/local/worcester/worcester.weapons.cache.2.929722.html

Sgt. Kerry Hazelhurst said on Sunday that Paul Mateiko was arrested Saturday after firefighters responding to a medical emergency at his home noticed a large cache of unsecured weapons.

Police officers later recovered over 100 firearms, blasting caps and other devices, including artillery simulators. "A total of approximately 150 handguns, revolvers, semi-automatic machine guns… thousands of rounds of ammo and three-quarters of C4 explosives," said Hazelhurt as he described the scene.

The state police bomb squad performed a controlled explosion of the volatile compounds at Green Hill Park early Sunday. The explosion left 4 foot crater in the frozen ground.

Police say Mateiko is licensed to carry firearms, but not the machine gun or the explosives.

Mateiko is scheduled to be arraigned in court Monday on four counts of illegal possession of a machine gun and one count of illegal possession of an infernal device.

Investigators are still trying to figure out why he had so many weapons, and how he got his hands on them in the first place

Great, now they are calling them Semi-automatic machine guns! And how did a licensed gun owner get so many guns...
[rolleyes]
Maybe he BOUGHT them?

[slap]

Investigators are still trying to figure out why he had so many weapons, and how he got his hands on them in the first place

And a couple lines above in the same article
"Police say Mateiko is licensed to carry firearms."

Now, I will admit, I am not a lawyer or a trained police detective nor a PI, nor do I have a degree in criminal justice or forensics. However, I am willing to bet that he simply purchased them legally given that he is "licensed to carry firearms".

Okay...okay, I pretty much figured that the responses that were going to be made all followed the same theme....but the guy apparently is in violation of the storage laws and there is the issue of the C-4.

If you have guns in every room of the house and they are not in compliance with the storage laws, do you honestly think you are going to get a free pass? The issue here is that the guy broke the law and it is not about whether you think the law is good or bad. A few thousand dollars worth of gun safes would have prevented this. The reason that the storage laws suck here in Mass is because the gun lobby is simply not powerful enough to bring about change. Why is that? Could it be because most gun owners are not GOAL members? I only hope that the most vocal of you are indeed GOAL members.

Then there is the issue of the C-4...the last time I checked it wasn't covered by a LTC.

Journalistic hyperbole aside, that's the reality of the situation.

Mark L.

A 4 foot crater- Whoo boy, they blow up explosives, (using more explosives to detonate, likely) and comment on the size of the hole. Do they comment on SOP and charge direction for such safe explosions? nope. Only on the size of the hole, not thinking once about why it went down instead of up.

Not to defend or condone the actions of the arrestee, but this is a classic example of the media gone wild. They have finally found the one thing they can sell again and again- it's not facts, it's not the scoop- it's fear. The public, who have been fed this media pablum over several generations now, doesn't stop to think about the information, they just react to it. Fear brings ratings.

All in the name of ratings....and advertising dollars. I wonder what the media would look like if they were free, as guaranteed in the FA, but by law were restricted to non-profit status? Without the motivation to make profits, I would imagine things would look quite differently.

How do you manage to get hold of a chunk of C-4 legally in the US? That is a rhetorical question, I'm not looking for any. (inserted to assuage the black helicopters [wink])

The SCOTUS ruling concerned the DC storage laws, which were quite different than the MA storage laws. I do not think it is clear that MA laws would be considered unconstitutional under the Heller decision.

I think the MA storage laws are crap, but I don't think that the Heller decision will necessarily invalidate them.

Agreed! SCOTUS stated that the DC storage laws were unconstitutional...not MA. And they are different.

I think the key is here that he didn't have his full auto green card OR anything that would allow him to possess C4 explosives. I'd assume everything else he owned was legitimate. As much as we hate the rules he did break some pretty hefty laws here. Definitely not a poster boy for a "law abiding" gun owner. I think it should be legal to own all the listed items he had but until any law changes come around it isn't very wise...

On the other hand who made this definitive "C4" assessment before they blew it up? Could have been a block of sculpting clay for all we know. And the "full auto" guns could just be ARs that display the full auto position but really have none, etc. We need more information!

Last edited:
I think the key is here that he didn't have his full auto green card OR anything that would allow him to possess C4 explosives.

My guess is that the "semiautomatic machine guns," to quote the WPD, are simply semi-autos and not full-auto. But he didn't have them stored properly so that started this whole chain of events.

He had some nice stuff:

bilde

What the F is up with that pic of him in court?

I wonder what he needed the ambulance for in the first place? May be related...

Officers initially brought out a few rifles and placed them individually in the trunk. But on subsequent trips, officers carried out large blankets or duffle bags filled with weapons.

I wonder how gingerly they placed the guns in the trunk of the Crown Vic, so as not to scratch or damage the owner's property....

My thoughts exactly.

Is there any mention of this guy being unlicensed? Since when does calling an ambulance warrant a search of your home? If he fell down the stairs and broke his leg and his friend called an ambulance does that mean the cops get to rummage through his refrigerator looking for explosives? This seems sad.

See post #27 in this thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11082&page=3 [angry]

I've posted it before, and I'm not picking on you, but...

http://www.bpdnews.com/2007/12/daily_incidents_for_saturday_n_7.html

Sex for Fee Arrest Results in Firearm Arrest

This morning around 2:09am, officers while still engaged in the performance of “Operation Squeeze” stopped a motor vehicle after one of its occupants solicited sex from a plain-clothes officer in exchange for money. During this stop, officers observed the car to be occupied by five occupants including the individual who had solicited sex from the officer. Officers made note that there were several open containers of alcohol in the vehicle.

The occupants were removed from the vehicle while officers secured the open containers of alcohol in the car. During this process officers observed a black holster containing a firearm on the floor of the car. The firearm was removed from the car, and discovered to be loaded with the serial number obliterated. None of the occupants of the car had a license to carry a firearm and as such all were arrested.
Four occupants of the car of the car, Ronald Gerald, 39, of Dorchester, David Villegas, 35, of West Roxbury, Desmond M. DeFreitas, 46, of Boston, and Gerald Sam, 32, of Revere were arrested and charged with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition and Possession of a Firearm with Obliterated Serial Number.

and

http://www.bpdnews.com/2007/11/daily_incidents_for_november_2_10.html

Suspect Arrested With Loaded Firearm

Yesterday at 2:43pm, members of the Youth Violence Strike Force and a DYS apprehension officer arrested Darren Dyette, 18, of Dorchester and charged him with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition, Resisting Arrest and Disturbing the Peace.

About 2:00pm officers heard an all out broadcast for a white vehicle occupied by three black males in the area of Hutchings Street. As officers were driving on Harold Street towards Hollander Street they observed thee black males walking towards them. Officers identified one of the guys as a possible individual that might have been in the vehicle that was broadcasted earlier.

Officers stopped their cruiser to conduct a threshold inquiry. As the officers exited the cruiser two of the males stopped to talk to the officers but the third suspect kept on walking. As the officers stepped towards the suspect he immediately grabbed his waist area and began running up Harold Street towards Waumbeck Street. The suspect ran into the rear of 80 Waumbeck Street. While officers were still in the rear of 80 Waumbeck Street they heard other officers yelling from the front that “he’s right here and he’s got a gun.” Officers in the front observed the suspect coming from the rear and saw a firearm fall to the ground.

Officers came from the rear of the house and observed the suspect heading towards the front of the house. On the walkway behind the suspect was the firearm. When the suspect saw the officers in the front he turned around and began moving towards the officers in the rear. At this time the firearm was still on the ground between the suspect and the officers. The suspect reached the spot where the firearm was before officers could retrieve it and picked up the firearm. Officers immediately order the suspect to stop and drop the firearm but he ignored the officer’s commands and jumped the fence with the firearm in his hand. Officers observed the suspect in the rear of 107 Howland Street stuffing something under a plastic wagon. At this point the suspect no longer had the firearm and began walking towards the front of 107 Howland Street where he was apprehended.

Officers did recover the firearm and a holster.

and

http://www.bpdnews.com/2006/04/man_convicted_of_murdering_tee.html

MAN CONVICTED OF MURDERING TEEN OUTSIDE DOWNTOWN CINEMA
Press Release from Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley

BOSTON, April 26, 2006—A man who shot and killed a teenager outside a downtown cinema will spend the rest of his life in prison after a Superior Court jury convicted him of first-degree murder and other charges this afternoon.

Jurors deliberated for parts of two days before convicting DARRYL SCOTT, 25 (D.O.B. 4/13/81), with the December 2002 shooting of 18-year-old Nabil Essaid outside the Loews Theatre on Tremont Street. Scott was also convicted of assault with intent to kill, assault with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful firearm possession and ammunition charges in connection with the murder and with his February 2003 arrest – when he pointed the same gun he had used in the murder at pursuing police officers and then put the gun to his own head in a Dorchester alley before surrendering to hostage negotiators.

Immediately after the verdict was read at approximately 3:30 p.m., Scott become violent in the courtroom, pushing the table he was sitting at and resisting an attempt by a court officer to handcuff him. He continued to resist for about a minute, flailing wildly and shouting obscenities as several court officers were required to restrain him and remove him from the courtroom.

Scott will be sentenced tomorrow morning in Courtroom 808 of Suffolk Superior court before Justice Charles Spurlock. He faces the mandatory term of life in prison without the possibility of parole and additional sentences for the assault and firearms convictions.

Jurrors convicted Scott, a Mattapan resident, after listening to a presentation of evidence by Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin that showed that on the evening of Dec. 14, 2002, the defendant opened fire on Essaid and his friends as they stood outside the Loew’s cinema. One bullet fired by Scott from a .40 caliber semiautomatic handgun hit Essaid, a Revere resident. After the shooting, Scott ran away down Tremont Street, toward Government Center, past a crowd of people on the sidewalk.

The fatal shooting followed by several weeks an earlier assault of Essaid at the hands of the defendant. In that earlier incident, Essaid and two friends were leaving the Downtown Crossing MBTA station when Scott pointed a different handgun at Essaid and tried to rob him.

On the night of the murder, evidence showed that Scott emerged from the theater’s lobby around 7:30 p.m. while Essaid and two friends were smoking cigarettes outside. Scott walked up to Essaid, said “remember me,” and sparked a confrontation that ended with Scott taking the .40 caliber out of his waistband, racking it, and firing in quick succession at Essaid’s two friends, missing them, and then at Essaid, hitting him once in his stomach and causing his death.

Scott was arrested on Feb. 6, 2003, after Boston police drug detectives tried to speak to him after conducting surveillance of him and another drug suspect on Bowdoin Street in Dorchester. After the officers approached Scott and identified themselves, he ran away, reaching for something in his waistband area as he did so.

During the ensuing foot chase, Scott reached into a holster on his waistband and drew a Glock .40 caliber handgun. He pointed the gun at pursuing officers. Scott hid under a tarp in the alley; as officers entered the alley, he jumped out from under the tarp holding the gun to his head and said he did not want to go to prison for life. Eventually, with the help of hostage negotiators and his father, Scott surrendered.

Technicians later matched the gun taken from Scott after his arrest to ballistics evidence from the murder of Essaid and attempted murder of his two friends outside the theater.

and

http://www.bpdnews.com/2006/02/east_boston_gun_arrest.html

East Boston Gun Arrest
While performing a paid detail yesterday in East Boston, an officer assigned to the Drug Control Unit conducted a motor vehicle stop in the area of Sumner and Orleans Streets. As the officer was speaking to the driver, he observed a wooden club between the driver’s side seat and door. With this observation and other intelligence, the officer requested backup. The officers had information about the occupants of the vehicle and conducted a pat- frisk of John Parziale, 48, of East Boston. As the officer patted down Parziale, an empty holster was found on his waist. Immediately, the officers conducted a pat frisk of the vehicle and found several weapons including sticks and a bat, but no firearm. A second occupant of the vehicle, a 19-year-old male from East Boston was found to be in possession of a Class B substance and will be summons into the East Boston District Court for Possession of Class B.

Armed with additional information, officers responded to an address in East Boston and gained entrance. A Sergeant observed five 30X30 rounds of Winchester Rifle Bullets in plain view, while an officer also observed a .22 caliber Rifle. Officers immediately froze the apartment and applied for, and obtained a search warrant for 32 Orleans Street. Later last night they returned and recovered the following items: numerous rounds of small caliber ammunition, one silver colored single shot firearm, one fully loaded .38 caliber revolver, one .45 caliber semi automatic, two ballistic vests, two high capacity clips, and one sidearm holster.

John Parziale, 48, of East Boston was placed under arrest and will be arraigned in the East Boston District Court today.

and

http://www.bpdnews.com/2006/04/daily_incidents_for_april_1_20.html

Two Arrested, Gun Recovered in Chinatown

Officers from District 1 stopped a car on Washington Street in Chinatown just after 1:00am this morning after they observed the passenger throw trash out the window. A check of the operator’s license status showed it to be suspended. As the officers removed the operator, 20-year-old Karl Graham they observed an empty gun holster on his waist. The passenger, 20-year-old Mark Fletcher, was immediately removed from the car and officers found a loaded .38 caliber handgun in his coat pocket. Both men were arrested.

Criminals can get holsters just as easy as they can get guns. [wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom