• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns found in Worcester

Sunday, February 8, 2009
Gun cache found

Hazmat team at city home

By Steven H. Foskett Jr. TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

4 comments | Add a comment

Worcester police officers talk with a Highland Street resident yesterday in front of the house where a cache of weapons and possible hazardous materials were found. (T&G Staff / PAUL KAPTEYN)
Enlarge photo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A routine ambulance call to a Highland Street home yesterday afternoon led to the arrest of a city man after authorities discovered a cache of weapons and a package in a refrigerator that kept state hazardous materials and explosives experts on the scene for several hours.

Paul D. Mateiko, 54, of 184 Highland St., was arrested late last night and charged with three counts of possession of a machine gun, police said.

Fire and ambulance crews went to Mateiko’s home about 4:30 p.m. yesterday to respond to a medical call. When they arrived, they quickly called police, who found a large cache of weapons, including what appeared to be several military-style rifles, inside. Officials said there was a suspicious package in a refrigerator, and activated a state hazardous materials unit. The hazardous materials unit arrived around 6 p.m., before the bomb squad.

Police Sgt. Kerry F. Hazelhurst said police obtained a search warrant for the entire house, and were still taking weapons out of the house late last night. He said handguns, shotguns, machine guns, military ordnance, and “untold” amounts of ammunition were found throughout the house. He said components used to make explosives were also found. Sgt. Hazelhurst said the package in the refrigerator contained bomb-making ingredients.

Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said last night that the Department of Fire Services Regional Hazardous Materials Unit and the state bomb squad went to the house after police indicated there was some sort of material in the home. He said he expected the material to be safely disposed of or transported to a safe location last night.

Police blocked off the sidewalk in front of the house, at the corner of Einhorn Road, across the street from Bonardi’s Tuxedos. Pedestrians were told to cross the street. A firetruck and an ambulance idled on Einhorn.

Early in the evening, police officers made several trips in and out of the old house, and loaded a police cruiser with what appeared to be dozens of weapons. Officers initially brought out a few rifles and placed them individually in the trunk. But on subsequent trips, officers carried out large blankets or duffle bags filled with weapons.

Eventually, officers filled the trunk of the Ford Crown Victoria, and started loading weapons into the back seat. An officer finally drove away — the rear of the cruiser hanging visibly lower.

About 7 p.m., officials wearing oxygen masks went in the front door of the home, and went in and out several times. They came back out, took off their oxygen masks, and went back in and out of the house for more than an hour without any breathing protection. One official stood on the front stoop of the house shining a flashlight on a piece of paper; another official came out of the house after 7:30 p.m. with a small box. Another official went back into the house with what appeared to be a large container. Several photographs were taken, and officials hovered around the back of a vehicle used by the bomb squad.

A woman who declined to give her name said she called the ambulance for the man. She said she knew he had some weapons in the home, but had no idea of how many he had hidden throughout the house.

charged with three counts of possession of a machine gun, police said.

Umm, semi-automatic AR-15 or M1A??

including what appeared to be several military-style rifles, inside.

I guess those are the "machine guns" they found...

He said handguns, shotguns, machine guns, military ordnance, and “untold” amounts of ammunition were found throughout the house.

Ohh, scary! Handguns, shotguns, semi-automatic weapons, oh my! And "untold" amounts of ammunition, like 2000 rounds!! And military ordinance like 5.56 caliber ammo!!

He said components used to make explosives were also found.

Oh my God, he had reloading powder!! And the scary part is, he also had water pipes in his walls!! Talk about constructive possession!

She said she knew he had some weapons in the home, but had no idea of how many he had hidden throughout the house.

Oh my God! If only the children knew how many he has! Isn't there a law limiting your guns to 3 or maybe 4 at the most?!

Last edited:
Possession of a machine gun with no testing, based upon someone at the house "recognizing" one of the guns as a FA? Doubtful. Although I see him with unlawful storage and then being deemed "unsuitable" as well as the company holding the weapons endig up owning them after all the "reasonable" storage fees.

I agree. You have to read the comments on the site from all the moon bats who are just protecting the children.

One of them thinks that collecting riflles is ok just without the ammunition to shoot them......

Is there any mention of this guy being unlicensed? Since when does calling an ambulance warrant a search of your home? If he fell down the stairs and broke his leg and his friend called an ambulance does that mean the cops get to rummage through his refrigerator looking for explosives? This seems sad.

Is there any mention of this guy being unlicensed? Since when does calling an ambulance warrant a search of your home?

When you call an ambulance, police and fire come along as well. If the EMTs, firemen, and/or police officers see unsecured guns in plain sight, the police officer likely has more than he needs to get a search warrant.

I am guessing here that it was a methlab setup inside the refridgerator. The refridgerator makes a nice cabinet for all the materials. This would explain the need for hazmat.

A weapons cache alone won't bring out the hazmat team.

Ofcourse the press will ignore this fact as "GUNS FOUND IN WORCESTER" has a more fear inducing paper selling effect than "METH LAB FOUND"
Nobody cares about the drugs. but guns scare people.

My first thought when I read this was "So which one of us was it?" As maee points out what happened and what got reported can be totally different. I wonder what would happen if I broke my leg in the house while carrying a gun and it didn't get returned to storage before the EMTs arrived.

I wonder what would happen if I broke my leg in the house while carrying a gun and it didn't get returned to storage before the EMTs arrived.

Nothing. The gun would be under your direct control at the time, so you would not be breaking any laws. If, however, there were unsecured guns in plain sight in other rooms in your home, then you might have a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I think the MA storage laws are crap. But these sorts of situations demonstrate how one can wind up in trouble by violating those laws.

Nothing. The gun would be under your direct control at the time, so you would not be breaking any laws. If, however, there were unsecured guns in plain sight in other rooms in your home, then you might have a problem.

So a question, say I was cleaning my gun in my workshop, went out to the kitchen to get a drink slipped and fell and couldn't get up and had to call 911. Now my gun is still sitting in the workshop in pieces, could I be in trouble if for some reason someone sees it? [thinking]

So a question, say I was cleaning my gun in my workshop, went out to the kitchen to get a drink slipped and fell and couldn't get up and had to call 911. Now my gun is still sitting in the workshop in pieces, could I be in trouble if for some reason someone sees it? [thinking]

Under Heller, you'd win in court. Of course that doesn't do a thing to help with the $20k in attorney fees[crying]

Though we all know it won't get reported, I'd be really interested to know if the guy winds up having all charges dismissed etc when he produces an LTC. I also wonder if what they found in the fridge wasn't a home-brewing setup.

Although I see him with unlawful storage and then being deemed "unsuitable" as well as the company holding the weapons endig up owning them after all the "reasonable" storage fees.
Dowd doesn't get his mitts on guns that are "evidence", just ones not the subject of any criminal investigation that are taken away, generally due to a 209A.

Last edited:
Eventually, officers filled the trunk of the Ford Crown Victoria, and started loading weapons into the back seat. An officer finally drove away — the rear of the cruiser hanging visibly lower.

as visions of sugar plums danced through their heads .............

My first thought when I read this was "So which one of us was it?" As maee points out what happened and what got reported can be totally different. I wonder what would happen if I broke my leg in the house while carrying a gun and it didn't get returned to storage before the EMTs arrived.

I always wondered about how things might go if confiscations ever were to start. (/tinfoil)

Reply to the third sentence is the same thing could happen to you if you got bonked in the head and lost consiousness. This would be a lot more likely than the Internet "what-if-ers" who keep fearing open carry getting one in trouble.

If I am the medic who responds, I would ask you to render it safe, and then ask you where you would like me to put it for you. I am not concerned if I come across a patient wearing a gun in a holster, However if I find you with a gun jammed in your waistband, then I begin to have doubts and the police will get involved.

Channel 7 is reporting that 3 of the rifles were full auto. The officer said he had "single shot, semi-auto and 3 machine guns".

Also apparently he had 3/4lb of C4.

<sarcastic>
I'm sure that if they find some C-Products AR mags ,that they will give the old codger the benefit of the doubt (all things being equal) that they are pre-ban mags that have the floorplates replaced and not post ban mags.
</sarcastic>

B

Back
Top Bottom