Gunpowder disposal?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

I inadvertently mixed two different types of powder together. and now I'm not sure what to do with it. Obviously I'm not going to use it, and I need to dispose of it safely. Someone suggested flushing it down the toliet.

Anyone?

I assume once it gets wet, it's entirely inert and can't be "reactivated"?
All I need is for one of the neighbor's kids to blow up.

I didn't think that the kids would ACTUALLY blow up. I just want to make sure I'm insulated from any issues getting rid of this stuff.

If you have a small amount, say a pound or less at a time, you can spread it along your driveway or sidewalk in a thin trail and ignite it for fun. It burns with a tall and very hot flame. Don't lean over the powder trail when you ignite it.
Using it for fertilizer or flushing it is less fun but equally effective.

If you have a small amount, say a pound or less at a time, you can spread it along your driveway or sidewalk in a thin trail and ignite it for fun. It burns with a tall and very hot flame. Don't lean over the powder trail when you ignite it.
Using it for fertilizer or flushing it is less fun but equally effective.

I've done this before.

My neighbors think I'm nuts anyway but I put a 100' trail to about 3 pounds of powder that I needed to dispose of. I don't do this generally, but I got the powder in an estate auction with a bunch of other stuff. There was no way I was going to use a bunch of old unmarked smokeless powder of indeterminate origin to load cartridges. My son - 10 at the time - after watching Bugs Bunny blow up Black Jack Shellac, asked, "What happens if we burn it?" So we found out. I used about 1/2 of it to make a trail to the other half.

The result? Lots of bright fire but no bang.

I've burned small piles of powder before.... the kid in my has been dying to do more that a tablespoon or so at once! With my luck my neighbors will call the PD!

We burn off the sweepings on the indoor range every so often. (plenty of unburnt powder on most indoor ranges)

Just be aware that even small amounts makes a really tall frame.

Yup. Made a NICE flare yesterday afternoon! (I was there trying out my new mouse gun... so far, the mice are safe. [angry] )

Hey everyone,

I inadvertently mixed two different types of powder together. and now I'm not sure what to do with it. Obviously I'm not going to use it, and I need to dispose of it safely with the help of this Disposeitwell. Someone suggested flushing it down the toliet.

Anyone?
While cleaning up the basement yesterday, I came across 2 cans of fff black powder and about a 1\4 can of IMR4350....no idea how old. What's a proper way to dispose of these? Thanks!

While cleaning up the basement yesterday, I came across 2 cans of fff black powder and about a 1\4 can of IMR4350....no idea how old. What's a proper way to dispose of these? Thanks!

make paper footballs, fill with powder, put canon fuse, wrap in duct tape, light and throw at people wearing masks in public

We burn off the sweepings on the indoor range every so often. (plenty of unburnt powder on most indoor ranges)

Just be aware that even small amounts makes a really tall frame.
HInt of the day: Do not use an arc welder on an indoor range with sound absorbing foam that contains a lot of unburnt powder from range use. BTST (Been there, saw that)

Burn it in small lots - especially fun if you have children.

My son found my old cap and ball revolver. After a few cylinders, we got bored with it. Since I still have a ton of powder, we'd put it in small piles and light it up. No boom but a nice smoky cloud.

Yeah - "safety first" was never my motto, safety is somewhere down the list on page two.

One thing to keep in mind is that large quantities of powder can impart a lasting odor in clothing. The best move is to light it off completely naked. Tends to keep others from bothering you too.

Yeah, but it smells GOOOOOOOD.

You know there's nothing that smells as good as powder. I knew my son had the shotgun bug the first time I saw him inhale the smoke from a freshly fired shotgun (breech end). His eyes told me that none of my shotguns would ever be safe from his hands.

Black powder has a similar sensual scent. Only thing better would be if it moaned when it burnt.

"safety first" was never my motto,
my man!

Someone here can probably use the powder. Triple F is for black powder handguns and small caliber rifles.

Back
Top Bottom