• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Falmouth Approves Police Firearm Disposal Rule

What i don't get is why a PD would have a large turnover of ARs.

Handguns are carried, beatup a bit, something they practice with, and with wear and tear likely do need replacement on a schedule. Occasionally they are also changed out due to policy changes (ie caliber, maybe standard issue model changes etc).

Rifles - especially an AR, how often are they ever using them? I assume they are kept in an armory, maybe locked up in a trunk here and there. And taken out for training rarely, or an occasional actual duty need extremely rarely. Their usefull live at a PD is probably kinda forever. Being an AR, isn't like they gotta upgrade the entire rifle to get a shorter barrel, different rail etc etc. I guess maybe some PD would decide it'd be nice to have (insert "better" patrol rifles here, ie SCAR) but that ought to be less often than once a decade.
Not really. In the case of a patrol rifle they are issued to the individual for their use only. To do otherwise would be issuing a rifle not knowing where it was sighted in or if it was. Blindly issuing a rifle when the need arises is idiotic.

Not really. In the case of a patrol rifle they are issued to the individual for their use only. To do otherwise would be issuing a rifle not knowing where it was sighted in or if it was. Blindly issuing a rifle when the need arises is idiotic.

Ok - even if the rifles are issued, still doesn't explain a high turnover of rifles.

They are just trying to make it look good as they sell them cheap to the POs, who will probably sell them at a profit.

What, they can't practice with their actual issued firearm? Are they required to leave their issued firearm at the station when off duty?
Most are not permitted use off duty. I didn't see exactly what they were trading in. We traded in several fairly new but A2 versions replacing them with a M4 style that allowed the installation of optics.

Epping PD is trading their fairly new but stanard Sig 320's and replacing them with newer 320 X Full sized with Reomeo One Pro's installed. Age isn't always the main reason for a trade.

No idea what the condition of the old ones were. Tjhe govt. surplus variety are usually really beat up.

Sure that I could see. Just the thread being the town creating a policy to address this "problem" where they mention rifles makes it seem like it's a regular thing (seems like a waste of $$ if anything).

Absolutely if they started with government 2nd hand stuff I bet they could be worth replacing.

They have somewhere around 54 officers including Chief and captains.
The town has a population of 32k people.
I'm curious as to the justification of that many rifles, including the 3 SBRs.
Well, recent events have shown that it takes at least that many to initiate a response to an active shooter...

What i don't get is why a PD would have a large turnover of ARs.

Handguns are carried, beatup a bit, something they practice with, and with wear and tear likely do need replacement on a schedule. Occasionally they are also changed out due to policy changes (ie caliber, maybe standard issue model changes etc).

Rifles - especially an AR, how often are they ever using them? I assume they are kept in an armory, maybe locked up in a trunk here and there. And taken out for training rarely, or an occasional actual duty need extremely rarely. Their usefull live at a PD is probably kinda forever. Being an AR, isn't like they gotta upgrade the entire rifle to get a shorter barrel, different rail etc etc. I guess maybe some PD would decide it'd be nice to have (insert "better" patrol rifles here, ie SCAR) but that ought to be less often than once a decade.

It's because there are at least some people in the Falmouth PD who aren't complete idiots and see the handwriting on the wall in this country as far as "political unrest" - so they're using the public funding they have (at the moment) - to make sure they ALL have a least rifle available to deal with what is coming.

I know a number of cops and prison guards either as relatively close friends or friends of friends type thing, and ALL of the ones I know - are usually well aware of the shit show type stuff that gets talked about on NES every day.

Back
Top Bottom