• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun theft in Framingham

The homeowner screwed up...

Arteaga screwed up royally....

His Father did the right thing!

Doubt he'll get more than a slap....

The homeowner screwed up...

Arteaga screwed up royally....

His Father did the right thing!

Doubt he'll get more than a slap....

And this is one of the few times you hope for the proverbial slap on the wrist. Too bad for the owner who will probably never own a gun again.

I wonder if it would have made a difference if it was already boxed up?

If the homeowner had reported a cable style lock on the gun, it would have been hard to prove otherwise.

I keep a combination style trigger lock in the kitchen in case I have to ever temporarily leave a gun in that room.

"Police suspended the man’s gun permit due to him leaving the gun unsecured" Was the same done for the recycle bin cop or the bathroom gun cop?
And what about this SCOTUS ruling
It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.
Gun owner is getting f***ed over for a right.

Last edited:
And what about this SCOTUS ruling
It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.
Gun owner is getting f***ed over for a right.

MA ignores Heller and MacDonald. SJC has ruled that the US Constitution is void where prohibited by MA law. Unless the DoJ or SCotUS takes direct enforcement action against the Commonwealth it keeps doing whatever it wants regardless of the illegality.

License was suspended for leaving a gun unattended.

Question: If it is broken (owner was shipping it back to mfg), is it still a gun? I mean, if it's not able to fire a shot....

It is still a gun unless it has been permanently deactivated.

The owner shouldn’t have spoken to the police without representation. Now his LTC is gone and he may be facing a felony charge.

I hate our gun laws.

Question: If it is broken (owner was shipping it back to mfg), is it still a gun? I mean, if it's not able to fire a shot....
Similar thinking, if I lock up the bolt of my rifle, it's unable to fire.

The fact that the manufacturer has already repaired it means it is impossible to determine if the gun was capable of firing a shot at the time it was liberated by the ne'er-do-well.

Similar thinking, if I lock up the bolt of my rifle, it's unable to fire.

Yes to both of you. A prior MA court case ruled even with a broken/missing part that since it could be replaced, it was still a gun. @Rob Boudrie can probably quote us the case that I'm referring to.

That won’t protect you from the law. The rifle receiver is the gun, and if you leave it unsecured, with or without the bolt, you have violated the law.
New to this MA Law stuff are you?

The state and the federal definition of gun/firearm are different. You are correct with regard to the federal definition. Under the state definition, the item must be able to discharge a shot with at most minor adjustment or repair. I'm not sure of the case Lens refers to, but will ask around. Even when I disable my fifty by removing the firing mechanism, I still lock the case "just in case".

The "safe storage" law is a state law and therefore uses the state definition of a firearm. If a rifle without a bolt is a firearm under MGL, it is because the state considers adding the bold a minor adjustment or repair, not because it contains the receiver.

And finally, in the case of the AR15 lower there are three definitions - State (not a firearm), Federal (firearm), AG (not sure what, but prohibited from sale by edict).

Man, so much confusion in following all the illegal state and federal laws that go against a simple line in the constitution.
"Shall not be infringed" so few and such simple words.
How in gods green earth can anyone not understand what they mean?

I hate this state!

Thanks, a local FFL told me if I kept the bolt in my safe it was ok.

If for some reason I couldn't find the answer by scouring numerous laws online and I had to open myself up to scrutiny by asking for help,an FFL would be right near the bottom of the list,right below asking someone at the range...I would ask LenS or Rob here.

MA ignores Heller and MacDonald. SJC has ruled that the US Constitution is void where prohibited by MA law. Unless the DoJ or SCotUS takes direct enforcement action against the Commonwealth it keeps doing whatever it wants regardless of the illegality.
That would never stand you know it and they know it.

Jesus, never take legal advise from gun shop employees.

That's about as pointless as taking advice from a friend who's a cop. Ask three cops or three FFLs the same question you'll get three different answers, none of which are probably correct. The guys at the local public range in North Attleboro are particularly useless, I have heard more myths and untruths spouted as gospel there than anywhere else. Well meaning guys, but clueless when it comes to MA law. Take the GOAL MA Gun Law course or Len's course. I took the GOAL course a couple of years ago and am thinking of booking an hour with a local 2A attorneys to go over some stuff.

Back
Top Bottom