• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Range Rules to strict???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules like that suck.

Like JasonS said, if you can't be trusted with more than 5, why should you be trusted at all?

I live on the South Shore. So is the 5 round rule a real pain in the rear or do u get use to it???
My club Old Colony Sportsman's Club in Pembroke had the 5 round rule, but they changed it to 10 about 2 years ago, great club 200yard range, in the process of closing in the outdoor pistol range. No rapid fire though. Not a big deal for me, nobody has complained about double Taps. The indoor range needs work mostly ventilation issues. But they plan on doing it all over in the next few years. PM me if you want to check it out some time and shoot as my guest.

I was looking at Marshfield a while back but the (now) 6 round limit was the deal breaker.

That will scare them! [rolleyes]

My club has a membership moratorium, too many applicants. I'm sure they don't GAF about what some newbie thinks.
(That being said, my club does not have all these FUDD rules).

Maybe they don't, but not all clubs are run by idiots, and if they hear the same reason multiple times, it may have an impact. Certainly, if they never hear the reason, there will be no impact.

My club has too many FUDDs, but no restriction on the number of rounds in a magazine. They don't like rapid fire, but there is nothing in the rules about how fast you can fire.

How can an NRA member be anti large capacity mags and AW's[mg] "Joaquin Jackson"
Simple, job security. If the NRA completely fixed the retardation that is known as "anti-gun", they'll have worked themselves out of a job. If they pander just enough to both sides (think on what just happened to NH not too long ago), then they'll make sure they have work (read: donations and money) for years to come.

...an idiot with a gun is an idiot with a gun, no matter how many rounds he has....
100% "...you can't fix stupid..." comes to mind.

Maybe they don't, but not all clubs are run by idiots, and if they hear the same reason multiple times, it may have an impact. Certainly, if they never hear the reason, there will be no impact.
True. While they may not care about what some noob thinks, if 100 or more say the same thing, it may have an effect.

Think about it, even from a fudd's POV, most clubs run around $100-$150 per year for membership....if a club realizes it's losing $10k per year because their head is up their ass about a 5-rnd limit, it might sink in. Might....no promises [wink]

My club used to have a '2-round limit' many moons ago. In fact, the sign is still up for posterity, but that rule is long gone. We have no limits on magazines or rounds in them, but we do have a limit on rate of fire and as the rifle range chairman, I enforce it. That does not however, mean I like it. The reasons are pretty simple: LSA is built on ledge. Our entire 100-yard range is essentially a giant rock. If anyone has been to a group shoot and witnessed some in the 'mag dump crowd', you will notice rounds impacting all over the place. We have an industrial park 396-yards off our property, so the prospects of 'Joe Bump Fire' landing rounds in the parking lot increases exponentially with stupidity. We enjoy our club staying open...If I hit the lottery, I'd love to open some full-auto action pits - absolutely love it. However, until that day comes, my club is 'no full auto and no mag dumping'. That being said, we have a budding and thriving IDPA program and soon action rifle, steel shoots and hopefully some carbine courses coming to the rifle range soon. I have built provisions into the SOP which allow for exceptions for IDPA, etc and supervised, (RSO) events.

The last part is property damage. This is no judgement - I love running through rounds as much as the next guy. However, many people join a club, pay their dues and think that's enough. We have such a large club, (30 acres of everything under the sun) and our membership is so reasonable, ($75/100), that dues don't even scratch the surface. We are dependent on membership to volunteer their time to maintain the club - we have no paid employees. We build everything with sweat equity and the damage done by shitheads is pretty amazing. This and out of 350-members, we are lucky to get 5-15 to show up for a work party. The damage done by day to day shooting is expected and significant. The damage done by asshats hosing down the berm houses is maddening. It's either enforce some SOP's, or go to restricting the club for use during specific hours and under supervision. We enjoy our freedom to shoot when we want, so adhering to and enforcing a 'no dump policy' is not that hard to fathom...

www.leesportsmen.com

I have seen the rule posted "rapid fire allowed only as long as it can be handled" which is a good rule. I have seen guys blow thru 2 to 3 mags in defense drills and nail the target every time and other guys are lucky to keep the muzzle downrange, so I would enforce that on a "need" basis, maybe rapid fire qualification, I am not sure. One thing I DO know, it is no fun being next to a Yahoo whose only enjoyment comes from yanking that trigger as fast as he can and the target is secondary, or so it seems.

Such limited round rules are an attempt to control the rounds that get outside of the impact berms. Many clubs have paid untold amounts to lawyers and to rebuild ranges to meet range safety standards. All of this comes at a huge price in both money and personal time by club officers.

It is usually some unthinking act that gets a club into trouble with the abutters. Short of having a full time RSO on premise, which most clubs cannot afford they must limit full magazine dumps that occasionally get a round outside the impact berm.

I have welded up enough silhouette targets to know that the average rifleman has no clue what power he has in his hands. A .222 Rem will shoot cleanly thru the web on a RR rail. I have seen the look of amazement on the faces of someone who shot at 3/8" Ram silhouette at 100 meters only to find that they had caused a clean hole thru the steel.

Such limited round rules is an attempt at control of those who have no clue.

I have welded up enough silhouette targets to know that the average rifleman has no clue what power he has in his hands. A .222 Rem will shoot cleanly thru the web on a RR rail. I have seen the look of amazement on the faces of someone who shot at 3/8" Ram silhouette at 100 meters only to find that they had caused a clean hole thru the steel.

If the holes are in/thru the target, they aren't wild shots going out of the range, are they? Whether it takes the shooter 4 5-rd mags or 1 20-rd mag to make those holes, there will still be holes thru the targets in this case . . . so again, what does this rule do for range use or range safety?

Yep, it's not about guns, it's about control. The biggest aphrodisiac known to man.

Everybody has to pay for the idiocy of 1 or 2 people. Just like .gov

Amen!

Best to avoid clubs that think like that! . . . Just one more gun law and all the murders in Boston will cease to happen too! [thinking]

The fact you ask this question tells me you didn't bother to read the club rules before considering application. There are more than enough clubs in MA with non gay rules to consider joining a range nazi club if you don't want to.

Do some homework before joining any range- and you'll be better off.

I would have emptied my pistol, turned to the range officer and said "This is my first and last time I ever shoot at this chicken sh** club.

The fact you ask this question tells me you didn't bother to read the club rules before considering application. There are more than enough clubs in MA with non gay rules to consider joining a range nazi club if you don't want to.

Do some homework before joining any range- and you'll be better off.

I have not applied anywhere, i read the range rules that where given to my Father when he went over for a visit. I would never dish out nearly 200 bucks without knowing all the rules, and at nearly 300 total for the application fee and the first year of membership they should let me bring a grenade launcher!!!!!!!!!!!! they just lost nearly 600 bucks including my Father....Thank the lord i didn't jump in head first.

I'm sure theres many non nazi clubs in the state, but id rather spend my money on ammo and firearms than the gas pump. Just a matter off finding the right place within a decent distance .

Such limited round rules are an attempt to control the rounds that get outside of the impact berms. Many clubs have paid untold amounts to lawyers and to rebuild ranges to meet range safety standards. All of this comes at a huge price in both money and personal time by club officers.

It is usually some unthinking act that gets a club into trouble with the abutters. Short of having a full time RSO on premise, which most clubs cannot afford they must limit full magazine dumps that occasionally get a round outside the impact berm.

If there is no RSO on duty how can the rule be enforced?

I have not applied anywhere, i read the range rules that where given to my Father when he went over for a visit. I would never dish out nearly 200 bucks without knowing all the rules, and at nearly 300 total for the application fee and the first year of membership they should let me bring a grenade launcher!!!!!!!!!!!! they just lost nearly 600 bucks including my Father....Thank the lord i didn't jump in head first.

I'm sure theres many non nazi clubs in the state, but id rather spend my money on ammo and firearms than the gas pump. Just a matter off finding the right place within a decent distance .

Depending on the region sometimes this is not an option. If you are way inside the 128 loop there aren't that many clubs that don't have mind numbing rules. Sometimes you have to just pay for the gas and drive.

If it came down to it I would drive an hour and a half to a non-suck range if it meant passing 100 ranges with crappy rules on the way there. [laugh] In MA you are pretty lucky overall, for most people in this state there is usually a non-crap range or three within an hour drive.

-Mike

I live on the South Shore. So is the 5 round rule a real pain in the rear or do u get use to it???

In that case come up to Taunton. No limits as far as I know (though I have no idea at all about rocking and rolling). indoor has 2 50ft ranges (with 2 dozen bays all told +or -) though the older one is going to be rebuilt soon. outdoor has 100yd, 200yd, and a 300yd range (though the 300 needs a qualification)

sorry if this is all said before, but it IS a good club...

I know this doesn't help the OP... but harvard sportsmans club is the closest thing i have found to being home in New Mexico (or what it used to be anyways). People there are very reasonable. I've been shooting with the action shooter people for a while, and they all remind me of being back home. :)

Marshfield is a great club - but the new increase to 6 rounds is painful. However, there are lots of senior members that strongly support this rule. I was told that it was "for the neighbors." :(

That is rediculous! never heard of such a thing. Find another range that is gun friendly.

I was shooting with my kids years ago with a couple tube mag 22s. This former military instructor type was grousing about having to wait for the kids to shoot the mags empty when he demanded to go down range. He purposefully waited until a mag was loaded and just as the kid was taking aim demanded my son unload the mag so he could change targets. We stared each other down when I told him he could wait til the kid was done shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom