Gun Range Rules to strict???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Hello, after aquiring my license about 3months ago and have recently purchased a few firearms, i've been looking to join a local club. Ive only been to one range (we'll call it range A) that a friend of mine is a member of. i have not seen the indoor range at range A, but he tells me its not that good. The outdoor range is pretty good but not great due to it only being 100yds, the ability to have something longer as another option is more appealing to me. Range A also is usually pretty quiet and if anyone is there the people are really cool, theres no limit to how many rounds in your mag and rapid fire is ok, there is actually no one there to enforce any rules.

(Range B) My Father went and checked out today and said it was awesome, tons of booths and a 200yd range. He said the facilities were beautiful, everything you could ever want. So They gave him the range rule booklet to take home and look over, which he then gave to me to read, so i just finished reading it.... No more than 5 rounds in a mag and no rapid fire??? What a buzz kill!!!! I feel like i'd be spending more time loading than shooting. I very dissapionted in the outcome of Range B.

Range A costs less than Range B.

Anyone here a member at a facility with the 5 round rule crap??? i'd like some opinions on this. Thats the only rule that really matters to me.

Am i making a mountain out of a mole hill?????

Now i cant decide what to do????

Thanx

Anyone here a member at a facility with the 5 round rule crap???
I was, but then the rules committee met at the kitchen table of a certain NES member a decade or so ago and took care of that problem and that club now has rules that are oriented towards safety, not fuddisms.

Now i cant decide what to do????
If it suits your geography, join Harvard (300 yard max) or Hopkinton (200 yard max). The only "catch" is both clubs require qualification on the 200 or 300 yard range, and do not allow firing guests on those ranges/lanes due to qualification issues. (they want confidence everyone using those ranges will keep rounds on the berm). Both clubs allow members to bring guests to the 100 yard range.

I belong to a club that has what I consider strict outdoor range rules. I don't like them but understand why they are in place. Usually guys hotdogging and letting rounds fly out of the impact area. I live 10 minutes from that club and basicly only use the range to test reloads I'm working up. I also belong to Harvard which is a pure pleasure. I've been shooting a long time and like to think my crazy days are over. But like yourself, I like to load a hi cap mag to capacity and have a go. Just be safe is all.

More ammo makes you more likely to go insane. MIT people have proved that 10 rounds is the max level of ammo safe for me in Massachusetts.

Or maybe it's just another case of power hungry Fudds ( and worse ) who just .... suck at making unnecessary rules be cause they can.

I was, but then the rules committee met at the kitchen table of a certain NES member a decade or so ago and took care of that problem and that club now has rules that are oriented towards safety, not fuddisms.

If it suits your geography, join Harvard (300 yard max) or Hopkinton (200 yard max). The only "catch" is both clubs require qualification on the 200 or 300 yard range, and do not allow firing guests on those ranges/lanes due to qualification issues. (they want confidence everyone using those ranges will keep rounds on the berm). Both clubs allow members to bring guests to the 100 yard range.

I live on the South Shore. So is the 5 round rule a real pain in the rear or do u get use to it???

Forgive the newbie question, but what exactly is the point of limiting the number of rounds?

It's an old NRA thing. Somehow blasting 5 rounds over the berm is OK, but putting 20, 30, etc into a target is not. Frankly 1 round at a time is unsafe if the shooter is new and clueless, as many in MA are.

How did a round limit come about, you ask.....

I have no clue what club you're talking about, but: Someone said, for soem reason, "We need a 5-round limit" and enough people agreed, to make it The Law.

My point in posting this? When you DO find a club, participate! If you show up and shoot, and leave, and rules change, and you don't like it....well, that's what happens when you don't show up.

If you're not there when the vote is taken, you have no right to complain.

Depend on were in south shore , but a couple of ranges are standish sportsmen in easton no limit but kinda and old club , but can shoot no limits not very busy on weekend for hadgun or rifle, and pretty good guy.

The 5 round limit has roots in the NRA gallery course, as 5 rounds at a time are loaded. Unfortunately, a certain mindset took hold at a lot of clubs that people should only load what they "need" (sound familiar).

It was originally a pain at Hopkinton, since a few USPSA competitors couldn't even test their match guns at full capacity (and, in that game, there is no such thing as an "alibi" or "mulligan" if the gun jams during a stage). The club granted permission to a handful of people on a "need basis" (ie, explaining to the board why you "needed" > 5 rounds), however, as things progressed and people figured out that the people with the high capacity crunchentickers where among the least likely to cause range problems, the rules got brought into the modern era, and the current rules simply prohibit shooting at a rate faster than the shooter is able to control the impact to area to the target.

I live in Hanover, so anyone with good suggestions for a range would be great.... No 5 round max ridiculousness.

Oh the horror of a 1000 yd range and 50 cal, hope I can hit the friggin berm!! If you need to qualify hitting something at 2-300 yards, never mind a target, say 12" x 12" you have no business shooting a rifle, stay indoors where you can do limited damage.
My 9 yr old boy was hitting steel at 500 with my Colt NM AR15, WTF PEOPLE. Oh wait, its the PRM, must have to have an insurance regulator do the quals. not an RSO.

The intent is to keep the sand pit crowd out. I don't think it works all that well though. I have no problem with numerous and rapid disciplined shots, but draw the line at mag dumps that result in impacts all over the place.

Those f-tards that were at Cap. City about a month and a half ago are a perfect example. I would have preferred that they go to the county sand pit that is less than a mile away.

B

I live in Hanover, so anyone with good suggestions for a range would be great.... No 5 round max ridiculousness.

If you're that close, take a look at Hanson: http://www.hansonrodandgunclub.com/ There is much to be said for having a range close to home.

From what you've posted, the only drawback would be that the longest range is 100 yards. But, there is also a 25 yd pistol range, and indoor 50' pistol range, indoor 50' and outdoor archery ranges, and a trap range. They try to be pretty safety-oriented and there are some good people there, including some members here, but they don't have a round limit, and although there are range rules, they are not idiotic.

5 round limit is old fudd crap, come on a 1911 holds a few more than 5. Unfortunately it seems a bunch of old fossils are running that club.

One such club instituted a 6 rd max rule outdoors (handgun and .22LR only) and 5 rd max rule indoors. When I asked the club president WHY, his answer was "the incident in Westfield!" As I told him, that was pure BS. Said club was always a fudd club . . . I was a member for a lot of years and left there quite a while ago. CF rifles are only allowed to be shot in a concrete tube (there are houses just over the berm) but only SINGLE LOAD allowed!!

If you are near Mansfield, Mansfield FG has only a 50 yd (you can shoot at any distance up to 50) and 100 yd ranges ranges, allow steel, etc. Just do so safely. There is no indoor range however.

If you are near Holbrook or Braintree, you should check out Holbrook Sportsmen's Club and Braintree R&P.

I don't know the rules at Taunton, but hear good reports about that club too.

While shooting at Andover a range officer came around and made everyone comply with the 5 round rule, even with revolvers, which I thought was downright assinine. I was shooting my Beretta 92 FS and had to take ten rounds out of each of my four magazines! I though it sucked. I am all for safety, 100%, but an idiot with a gun is an idiot with a gun, no matter how many rounds he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom