• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Range Jerks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a guy like that at BRP. I was exchanging paperwork for a gun I was purchasing in the clubhouse once, and he came over to tell us we couldn't shoot that caliber in the indoor range. (I was exchanging paper work, not on the range shooting) Um...thanks? I'm well aware of the rules, he was pre-emptively telling us not to break the rules as if he was the only one that has read the pamphlet.

This Bob's place sounds like a nightmare and an accident waiting to happen. I go to the NB range and have never met a single douche bag. Some guy showed up with a .50 Barrett and was setting off the car alarms while punching holes clean through 1/2 steel at 200 yrds. The muzzle blast was blowing back the hair of some guy shooting 2 benches over.
We all just mossied over to watch the show.

Braintree? No he would asked you if your gun was compliant after he told you not to point guns at people. Thanks Captain Dipshit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a guy like that at BRP. I was exchanging paperwork for a gun I was purchasing in the clubhouse once, and he came over to tell us we couldn't shoot that caliber in the indoor range. (I was exchanging paper work, not on the range shooting) Um...thanks? I'm well aware of the rules, he was pre-emptively telling us not to break the rules as if he was the only one that has read the pamphlet.

Yep. More of the same BS in that place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow......yes hot brass hurts.....but you need to be a ****ing man and put your weapon on safe and lay it on the deck facing down range.......then you are free to scream and hop around like a school girl all you want.

I've gotten everything from 22 to 45 to 762x54 brass everywhere it can possibly go. I never EVER move. Sure as shit I don't do the pee-pee dance and sweep a bunch of folks.

Leaving Danvers fish and game at the end of this month after 15 years because of the assh@le range officers there. It was fine when 90 year old blind and deaf guys ran it. We now have uptight retired types that think they and their few lifer friends somehow own the place. Had a confrontation with one the other day, first time ever. Long story short I had a new guy to shooting with me. We walk in to sigh up and he's all over us with "the rules" as if a nervous first timer is going to hear all that mess being thrown at him. Right off the bat without even a gun out of the car my guest makes the mistake of leaning the target stand against the bench to staple the target to it, not a gun out of the car yet. Over the load speaker comes "get off the table". So ok he messed up, point taken. Not enough. Soon as everyone's back and firing has begun here comes stick up his ass practically running towards us, again not even a gun present. As he gets to us I say with a smile we know, sorry. He snaps at me "no you don't know!" Well that's when I finally had it. I won't go into what I said but let's just say I was bullshit and let years of frustration with this guy fly. Every little infraction I've seen him make was thrown right back at him. We didn't even shoot I was too piss*d to have any fun at this point. Worst thing is I was telling my guest how bad it had become with the range nazis the whole ride over to the place. Anyway f them. Myself and at least 4 others are leaving this June and taking our biz and any new members we would have brought in with us somewhere else. Sucks but I don't need some dink with his first little taste of what he thinks is power turning what should be a fun few hours into a stress filled time. Rant over.

Not exactly surprised, never heard anyone say anything good about that place. Most of the stuff inside the 95 belt is range nazi land or very restrictive, at best, with a few exceptions here and there.

-Mike

Maybe I'm too new there (Danvers F&G) to know how bad it gets with other members and RSOs (been there about a year as a guest of a member then joined six months ago), but I've yet to have any issues at the line. However, holy ****, they haven't had an indoor range for almost two years because of the contractor they hired walked out on them. How do you not do a thorough check of a Gen. Con. for that level of work? Supposedly they aren't behind fiscally on the amount of work done, but now they are going through legal measures.

Side note: **** brass rats who won't let you finish firing before they sweep your shit up

As I read the OP that "Jerk" might have very well gotten swept. Because you were loading a mag at the time maybe you didn't see it.

But here is where it gets real interesting: The guy says something to you about it (Gun clubs heavily promote this) and guess who ends up copping the attitude?

And to make matters even worse your Dad gets a free pass for being ex military? It is ridiculously easy to sweep someone with a firearm. I'd bet it actually happened. By your description he handled it fairly well. And your post explains why he left soon after.

Funny how an unbiased view can shine a light in such a way that might have never before been seen...

Now I must sound like a jerk right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how an unbiased view can shine a light in such a way that might have never before been seen...

It's all in how someone points out a safety issue. There is a polite classy way of doing it that doesn't make someone feel unwelcome, and an arrogant "I know more about safety than you, respect my expertise and authority" way. It's not hard to figure out which is being used if you are on the receiving end.

I'll take the hit on that. My grasp of the facts were obviously skewed. But I am not feeling all that badly about it due to the OP's predictable actions and response. I think that speaks for itself.

My range has some guys that hear shooting from their house and come over to watch.

One day I had the range to myself and was prone shooting with a pistol. Some doosh drive up and gave me shit over it saying I was "trick shooting" whatever that means. I politely told him to bring it up at the next meeting if he thought it was unsafe.

I then said "going hot" and started shooting again. This dude drove to the range just to bust my balls apparently.

We were doing out annual vehicular dynamic event on the range at Hopkinton one year and someone decided we needed to be reported to the club prez (the former one, not the current El Prez). I think he got the idea his complaint wasn't going to get very far when the club prez's reaction to "you wouldn't believe what they were doing on range" was "Oh, it must have been a Wednesday evening".

I've had people tell me I'm not allowed to shot x gun at a club . Last time it happen some dude told me I couldn't shoot mosin at the range I was at and I was shooting too fast . Um yeah too fast with a scope bolt action lol. Because the steel core ammo could bounce back from the berm lol . A bod member was sitting behind talking to me before about mosins. He told the guy I wasn't doing any thing wrong.

The worse was I was shooting a mosin . Guy showed up and I switched to a ar. Then switched back to the mosin . The guy asked me if I could not shoot the mosin cause it was to loud for him . I told him to move farther down the line and started shooting I was in like lane 1 and he sat at lane 3 .

Tell that dink its a shooting range not a library

I was at the range a month ago when 3 guys showed up together to shoot. They had a bunch of pistols and a couple of rifles. They loaded up their magazines and put the loaded pistols in their back pockets. While one of them is getting targets together one of them pulls out a pistol and is waving it around telling his friends how much he likes it. He swept me his friends and even himself. I told him politely to keep his firearm pointed down range as I didn't want there to be any accidents. He put the loaded and cocked pistol back in his back pants pocket. Then his other friend tells me to relax he just wants to try out his new pistol. I guess I am a jerk as well. Is it possible your guest did actually sweep someone or exhibited unsafe handling? Should nobody say something when they see something unsafe.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

The worse was I was shooting a mosin . Guy showed up and I switched to a ar. Then switched back to the mosin . The guy asked me if I could not shoot the mosin cause it was to loud for him . I told him to go change his panties and move farther down the line and started shooting I was in like lane 1 and he sat at lane 3 .

FIFY...

I am a range safety officer. When I see someone doing something that endangers me or others, I will say something. If it is possible and not immediately in need of correction, I will take that person aside and discuss what it is that needs to be corrected. I am not there to embarrass people.

Saturday, a newer shooter was on the line with a .22 revolver and was having problems with misfires. He was walking back to the back bench to empty the cylinder into the bras bucket and in so doing was sweeping me every time. The second time he did, I approached him at the rear bench and explained the problem to him. He had his teenaged son with him who quite frankly was handling the gun in a much safer manner than he was, but I saw no reason to embarrass the father in front of the son.

I really try to not be a dick about it.

Last edited:
I was at the range a month ago when 3 guys showed up together to shoot. They had a bunch of pistols and a couple of rifles. They loaded up their magazines and put the loaded pistols in their back pockets. While one of them is getting targets together one of them pulls out a pistol and is waving it around telling his friends how much he likes it. He swept me his friends and even himself. I told him politely to keep his firearm pointed down range as I didn't want there to be any accidents. He put the loaded and cocked pistol back in his back pants pocket. Then his other friend tells me to relax he just wants to try out his new pistol. I guess I am a jerk as well. Is it possible your guest did actually sweep someone or exhibited unsafe handling? Should nobody say something when they see something unsafe.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I agree! Unsafe behavior needs to be addressed immediately. Yes, people should say something when they see something unsafe. I'm talking about the guy looking around for a group, waiting for an opportunity to jump on any little issue they see. Its a fine line, I know.

No, your not a jerk for addressing a flagrant issue like the one you described, I want those issues to be address and i don't want to be anywhere near guys like that.

I think you see the difference between some guy putting a loaded pistol in his pants and having his friend pull it out and wave it around, as you described, and a guy holding a rifle, barrel down to the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

I am arrange safety officer. When I see someone doing someone that endangers me or others, I will say something. If it is possible and not immediately in need of correction, I will take that person aside and discuss what it is that needs to be corrected. I am not there to embarrass people.

Saturday, a newer shooter was on the line with a .22 revolver and was having problems with misfires. He was walking back to the back bench to empty the cylinder into the bras bucket and in so doing was sweeping me every time. The second time he did, I approached him at the rear bench and explained the problem to him. He had his teenaged son with him who quite frankly was handling the gun in a much safer manner than he was, but I saw no reason to embarrass the father in front of the son.

I really try to not be a dick about it.

Yes, this is what I mean, you can be classy about correcting someone and they will appreciate it and respect you for it.

Every time I bring the AR's to the range, someone asks "what's that?" becuase they are extra killy and black. The funny thing is, they shoot quieter than my M&P 15, which is WAY louder. And the mosins....well I get yelled at for 'steel core' ammunition every time, but you cannot beat the fireball. It certainly gets your attention, and you don't want $6.99 Wally world ear protection either

Well, as is often the case, there is more to the story than can be seen at first blush. This incident happened at my range and I have since personally spoken with both parties. They both better understand what really happened and there is NO indication that anyone was a "jerk".

You may all continue with your usual squabbling, thread drift, conjecture, and "This one time.............................." etc.

Have a great day everyone. It is sunny and warm for a change. Be happy! [smile]

Well, Jerk is not the right word... Let me explain...

I took my family to the outdoor range today. Nice day, about 7 of us, me and 2 experienced shooters and some others. This guy was shooting a few lanes down from us... So my dads holding a small 9mm carbine, barrel pointing at the ground as I am getting some ammo ready when "Mr. I wanna be a range supervisor" Comes strolling over, telling him to "watch where he is pointing that barrel, we don't want any accidents..." You could tell he could care less about our safety, this was his chance to show everyone in my little group how foolish we are all and how safe and professional he is. My dad is ex-military, he knows how to handle a gun. He wasn't sweeping me or anyone, but there always seems to be one guy who cant wait to tell you that your doing something wrong to make themselves look better.

I gave the classic "yeah, thanks...." answer as he smiled. No kidding we don't want any accidents, but I wasn't going to sit there and argue in front of my family about his perception of our safety.

Funny thing is, he then packed up his things at his pistol lane, and sat there on his phone for 20 minutes until I had to ask him if he was done so we could use the longer pistol pit he was using...

Happen to others? Brush it off next time? Take it seriously and have no one handle a gun until shooting? He was holding it while I loaded the next mag...

A) Anyone at a range can and should bring a safety violation to someone's attention.
B) If dad knew how to handle a gun, as you put it, then the "Mr. I wanna be a range supervisor" wouldn't have come over and said something.

We all shoot at ranges and frequently may not know others that are shooting next to us. Sometimes it is apparent that there are new shooters involved, other times it is not so apparent. Regardless, you shouldn't wait for a 2nd safety violation before you say something to someone. Any safety violation in shooting sports such as USPSA or IDPA is an immediate, DQ and you put your toys away and go home.

It only takes one accident to totally shut down a club, so I see safety issues as pretty black and white.

A) Anyone at a range can and should bring a safety violation to someone's attention.
B) If dad knew how to handle a gun, as you put it, then the "Mr. I wanna be a range supervisor" wouldn't have come over and said something.

We all shoot at ranges and frequently may not know others that are shooting next to us. Sometimes it is apparent that there are new shooters involved, other times it is not so apparent. Regardless, you shouldn't wait for a 2nd safety violation before you say something to someone. Any safety violation in shooting sports such as USPSA or IDPA is an immediate, DQ and you put your toys away and go home.

It only takes one accident to totally shut down a club, so I see safety issues as pretty black and white.

Did you not miss what ipscdrl just posted? [laugh]

It was just a communication issue, apparently, and now noone is butthurt over it anymore. Can't get much better resolution than that.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom