Gun Magazines (for reading not loading)

American Handgunner, American Rifleman, Concealed Carry Mag, & Women & Guns, although I only get American Rifleman delivered now.

Last edited:
I've read em all over the last 40 years or so. Alas, there are no current writers of the caliber of Bill Jordan or Skeeter Skelton.

SWAT magazine is currently my only Don't Miss.

Regards
John

I've read em all over the last 40 years or so. Alas, there are no current writers of the caliber of Bill Jordan or Skeeter Skelton.

SWAT magazine is currently my only Don't Miss.

Regards
John

Definitely agree on the caliber of the writers, Shooting Times used to be the one magazine I read cover to cover, before Skeeter departed with his cast of characters. They are missed.

They all might have an article that I'm interested in, but none that I need to have every month.

Over the years, I've suscribed to Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Guns & Ammo, Precision Shooter, GunTest, Shotgun News, and maybe a few others. I still get Shotgun News, but I'm letting that go when it comes time to renew.
I'll always get American rifleman as long as the NRA puts it out.

I too liked Skeeter and Jordan. I also miss Jack O'Connor (the best writer of the group) and Elmer Keith. In 1974 I wrote a letter to Keith care of Guns and Ammo mag, and Keith actually responded to me with a typed page of misspellings and with the whole thing misaligned in the typrwriter so that the print was going uphill. He signed it in pencil and I still have it. It's a treasure to me.

I think Elmer Keith died in 1984. He'd be about 111 if he were alive today.

I used to get a whole slew of magazines including, Guns, American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Shotgun Sports, American Rifleman, Ducks Unlimited, North American Hunter, Shotgun News and Gun Week.
It got to be too much because I find as I get older, I have less and less time to read them. They began to pile up and go unread so I let my subscriptions lapse on most of them. I still get North American Hunter and American Rifleman becuase they come with memberships to NAHC and NRA. I let my DU membership lapse, so that one's gone. The only ones I still pay for that aren't tied to a club membership are GUNS and American Handgunner, which I feel are the best of the lot.

Back
Top Bottom