Gun Club Politics

Oh, you mean rules like "no rapid firing" and "paper targets only"? Yea those were really conceived with safety in mind [rolleyes]
Come to my club, visit our indoor range, and look at the holes in the ceiling baffles, and tell me it isn't about safety. I was part of the board during the extensive discussions that resulted in that rule.

Come to my club, visit our indoor range, and look at the holes in the ceiling baffles, and tell me it isn't about safety. I was part of the board during the extensive discussions that resulted in that rule.

I don't shoot at indoor ranges and I've never shot a ceiling, what's your point?

Define "rapid firing". Now ask someone else what it means. Then get yelled at because I shoot more than once a minute. I didn't re-up there.

I don't shoot at indoor ranges and I've never shot a ceiling, what's your point?
You said:

Oh, you mean rules like "no rapid firing" and "paper targets only"? Yea those were really conceived with safety in mind [rolleyes]
I was directly involved in the discussions that resulted in the "no rapid firing" rule at our club. That rule came about specifically because people were shooting too fast to control their shots, and were, as a result hitting the ceiling baffles on our range. Our range is in the basement. Shooting up towards the ceiling is not safe. The "no rapid firing" rule was specifically "conceived with safety in mind." You can roll your eyes as much as you want, but there was a serious safety issue at our club as a result of idiots shooting too fast for their skill level. You can mock it all you want, but I won't let you get away with that kind of BS criticism.

I'm not a member of your club. I don't know what your club's rules are or how they came into being. I know my club's rules. If you don't like them, that's fine. I don't give a #$!!%. But ours were written that way due to specific safety issues and I strongly the rules at other clubs came about in a similar fashion. You don't like them? Tough.

Define "rapid firing". Now ask someone else what it means.
We don't give a #@#$@ what someone else thinks it means. We have defined it. It is in our range rules:

Rapid fire is prohibited on the indoor range. Rapid fire is defined as more than 1 round fired per second.
It isn't particularly hard to come up with a reasonable definition. That was added to our range rules and all members were so notified.

Obey our rules or leave. Your choice.

Last edited:
I was directly involved in the discussions that resulted in the "no rapid firing" rule at our club. That rule came about specifically because people were shooting too fast to control their shots, and were, as a result hitting the ceiling baffles on our range. Our range is in the basement. Shooting up towards the ceiling is not safe. The "no rapid firing" rule was specifically "conceived with safety in mind." You can roll your eyes as much as you want, but there was a serious safety issue at our club as a result of idiots shooting too fast for their skill level. You can mock it all you want, but I won't let you get away with that kind of BS criticism.

If you would have read my post in it's context you would have realized that I was talking about how the clubs "safety rules" applied to my shooting. Not how it applied to Joe Idiots at your club. I don't advocate the government being a nanny to my actions so why would I let a club?

It's cool though, you have your opinions on the subject and I have mine.

YEW BOY IS RAPIDDD FIRIN!!!!!! [rofl]

I understand some clubs have a problem, but frankly I'd rather see ranges being hard to get into than silly rules put into place that end up cursing everyone. Then again, it's not really that big of a deal... you can just vote with your wallet and time, especially in MA/NH.... lots of clubs to choose from.

-Mike

If you would have read my post in it's context you would have realized that I was talking about how the clubs "safety rules" applied to my shooting. Not how it applied to Joe Idiots at your club.
The rules at your club apply to the Bill Idiots at your club and to you as well. The reason those rules that you don't like at your club came about was because of those idiots. They came about because of safety considerations. Deal with it.

The rules at your club apply to the Bill Idiots at your club and to you as well. The reason those rules that you don't like at your club came about was because of those idiots. They came about because of safety considerations. Deal with it.

Like I said, you have your opinions and I have mine. I'll deal with it as I see fit [grin]

I personally like the rule of no shooting faster than you can hit the target. Any club with arbitrary rules about how fast I can shoot won't get my membership dollars.

YEW BOY IS RAPIDDD FIRIN!!!!!! [rofl]

I understand some clubs have a problem, but frankly I'd rather see ranges being hard to get into than silly rules put into place that end up cursing everyone.
OK, I'll bite. So what is the test that you are going to implement that will keep out said idiots? And when, after you have implemented said test, you find bullet holes in things that shouldn't be shot, and you can't pin it down on a particular member (because the ranges are open whenever a member shows up to use the range) what do you do then?

Oh, yeah, your mocking and laughing is real funny. Come down to my range and look at the holes in the baffles. Guess what? There's people upstairs. It would be real funny if that !@#!@ who hit that baffles managed to sneak a bullet around them and up through the floors wouldn't it? HAHA, YEW BOY IS RAPIDD FIRIN and shot our caretaker's wife. Yeah, that's real funny! !@$!@

Please, let me know. I am a club officer. We've been dealing with this for a while. I really am sick of people who don't know beans about running a club, don't get off their backside to help out, and then complain about XYZ, that this isn't run right and that rule is wrong, etc., etc.

Put up or shut up. Join your club leadership and help out. You don't like what the President is doing? Fine, come to the meetings and speak out. Run for office. Change it. We haven't had a contested election in 10 years. We'd welcome someone running for office. Please, I've been VP too long. Someone else needs to take my office. We have to chase down you lazy !#@$!@ and pin you to the ground just to be a board member (i.e., show up for a two meetings a month).

You don't like our range rules or your club's range rules? Fine. Come to a meeting and convince us they need to be changed. Put up or shut up.

The only reason your club is around is because people have been giving their time to maintain and run the club. At most all clubs, 5-10% of the members do all the work. Without those members, the clubs would be gone. And all the leadership gets is this kind of crap.

My heart bleeds for you whiners. Or not.

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite. So what is the test that you are going to implement that will keep out said idiots? And when, after you have implemented said test, you find bullet holes in things that shouldn't be shot, and you can't pin it down on a particular member (because the ranges are open whenever a member shows up to use the range) what do you do then?

I realize what you're fighting with. There are safety considerations, etc. Usually the deal is though, a few a**h***s will ruin it for everyone, and then a lame blanket rule gets passed attempting to regulate behavior. After you passed that rule, did holes magically stop appearing in the ceiling? Problem is if a member is dumb enough to shoot up the ceiling, what makes you think they're going to obey the rapid firing rule, too? (Unless you bolt the range down so it cannot be used unless an RO is present, etc. ) The people you are trying to stop with rules don't obey the rules to begin with. If they did, there probably wouldn't be holes in the ceiling to begin with. About the only way out in that case is to install cameras. (And that too, is a pain in the ass. )

FTR I've never had to deal with that kind of a rule anyways, I just find it amusing whenever it exists. That's what I'm laughing about. Ultimately the only real fix is to
punish the people causing the damage (preferably by punting them out of the club).

-Mike

Oh, yeah, your mocking and laughing is real funny. Come down to my range and look at the holes in the baffles. Guess what? There's people upstairs. It would be real funny if that !@#!@ who hit that baffles managed to sneak a bullet around them and up through the floors wouldn't it? HAHA, YEW BOY IS RAPIDD FIRIN and shot our caretaker's wife. Yeah, that's real funny! !@$!@

Please, let me know. I am a club officer. We've been dealing with this for a while. I really am sick of people who don't know beans about running a club, don't get off their backside to help out, and then complain about XYZ, that this isn't run right and that rule is wrong, etc., etc.

Put up or shut up. Join your club leadership and help out. You don't like what the President is doing? Fine, come to the meetings and speak out. Run for office. Change it. We haven't had a contested election in 10 years. We'd welcome someone running for office. Please, I've been VP too long. Someone else needs to take my office. We have to chase down you lazy !#@$!@ and pin you to the ground just to be a board member (i.e., show up for a two meetings a month).

You don't like our range rules or your club's range rules? Fine. Come to a meeting and convince us they need to be changed. Put up or shut up.

The only reason your club is around is because people have been giving their time to maintain and run the club. At most all clubs, 5-10% of the members do all the work. Without those members, the clubs would be gone. And all the leadership gets is this kind of crap.

Your "safety rules" do as little for safety as gun laws do to prevent criminals from using guns in crimes. I understand your situation, but I can't agree with it. Oh, and I pay my yearly dues to keep my club maintained.

I realize what you're fighting with. There are safety considerations, etc. Usually the deal is though, a few a**h***s will ruin it for everyone, and then a lame blanket rule gets passed attempting to regulate behavior. After you passed that rule, did holes magically stop appearing in the ceiling? Problem is if a member is dumb enough to shoot up the ceiling, what makes you think they're going to obey the rapid firing rule, too? (Unless you bolt the range down so it cannot be used unless an RO is present, etc. ) The people you are trying to stop with rules don't obey the rules to begin with. If they did, there probably wouldn't be holes in the ceiling to begin with. About the only way out in that case is to install cameras. (And that too, is a pain in the ass. )

FTR I've never had to deal with that kind of a rule anyways, I just find it amusing whenever it exists. That's what I'm laughing about. Ultimately the only real fix is to
punish the people causing the damage (preferably by punting them out of the club).

-Mike

Pretty much the only way to 100% prevent any type of incident would be to either have an R.O. present whenever someone is shooting or to only allow members who passed a qualification of sort to shoot. This would mean no guests or limited hours.

I don't have any answers for you. Maybe your "rules" are the best compromise for your club's situation. All I know is how I feel and how I'll act. I'm not going to go to your face and tell you point-blank to stuff your rules, but you'll never catch me 'violating' them either. You also won't find me putting holes in your ceiling either.

basscatfrank typed:

...The most recent and disturbing occurence is this: A bonfire was scheduled to be held on the club property. Members
and
guests were invited. The president took it upon himself to issue an edict banning guns from the event. This caused a
firestorm of protest within the club. I have sat on the sidelines watching the battle play out. Charges of censorship
have been made regarding the online discussions concerning the bonfire. ...
derek typed:

It all depends on the club and who's running it. Sadly with your story you described many clubs in MA. Too many old
dudes with small penis syndrome trying to be "in charge" of something.

You're much better off going to a club that lets adults act like adults. Monadnock in NH is one of them.

Pilgrim typed:

Was there going to be drinking allowed at the bonfire? If so, no guns is a good policy.

I can tell you from my perspective that unless that particular "edict" included a meeting of the Board and Officers,
followed by a Member Meeting with a vote (assuming a quorum), it wouldn't have even been possible. And speaking for
myself and the current Officers at Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, it would not have happened at all. If you are a Club
Member, or Guest of a Member, and are not disqualified from owning a firearm in the state of New Hampshire, then no one
is disarming you at MRGCI barring specific behavior that would lead to such. And to qualify for that, would mean that
immediate ejection and perhaps more disciplinary actions are forthcoming in any case.

Granted, I think that we're talking about pistols here. Sitting around the bonfire caressing your 870 Wingmaster is a little creepy :)

Certainly consuming alcohol on the Firearms Range is reason for immediate expulsion, and loss of Membership. Other
than that, as Derek mentioned, we treat our Members as the responsible firearms owners that they've proven to be over the last 63 years.

flhri03 typed:

I've been thinking about checking out Monadnock, I have heard nothing but good things.

Please feel free to check us out:

Monadnock Rod and Gun Club

PS - We are hosting an RWVA Appleseed on April 17th & 18th ...and MrTwigg is the Shoot Boss.

Last edited:
I'm also tired of the "I'm holier than thou because I showed up on a Saturday and raked some leaves." Sure, I understand that there are a few people who do a lot of hard work and the many never participate in this. But, I also feel that if I pay my dues, we are square, so long as the agreement of membership does not state that you are obligated to work. If you want to bitch and moan about how great you are because you maintain the berms armed only with a shovel, make it a requirement for people to participate, lower the cost for those who do participate, raise the cost for those who don't, or shut your damn mouth because the rest of us paid our dues as we were obligated to and are using the facilities fair and square.

I don't expect the patrons at my restaurant to clean the dishes after, so long as they paid their bill so that I can pay someone else to.

I'm also tired of the "I'm holier than thou because I showed up on a Saturday and raked some leaves." Sure, I understand that there are a few people who do a lot of hard work and the many never participate in this. But, I also feel that if I pay my dues, we are square, so long as the agreement of membership does not state that you are obligated to work. If you want to bitch and moan about how great you are because you maintain the berms armed only with a shovel, make it a requirement for people to participate, lower the cost for those who do participate, raise the cost for those who don't, or shut your damn mouth because the rest of us paid our dues as we were obligated to and are using the facilities fair and square.

I don't expect the patrons at my restaurant to clean the dishes after, so long as they paid their bill so that I can pay someone else to.

Speaking as a Club Officer, and as someone who has spent hundreds of hours per year working for the Club, I have to agree with your sentiments.

I made my feelings known too to the chagrin of the some of the Officers and Members when I started participating heavily. We would often be clearing brush or repairing 3D targets and folks would drive in, use the Range (or whatever) and drive out when they were done. And some folks would state (and I paraphrase) " ...those lazy so-and-sos don't even come down to lend a hand ...they're 4$$holes". And my response would always be, "They paid their dues ...what do they owe us or the Club?" I'd ask, "where does it say in our Bylaws that anyone is required to work?" Those guys never seemed to understand ...now they do. We have a policy where working for 4 hours or 8 hours can get you money refunded from your dues payment. Either a Member can take advantage of that or not, it's their prerogative entirely.

I repeated those sentiments, and asked that question in response so often, that people stopped asking and complaining. Nothing's changed really other than we seem to be getting more help lately ...with less griping. Leading by example is always the way to go.

Speaking as a Club Officer, and as someone who has spent hundreds of hours per year working for the Club, I have to agree with your sentiments.

I made my feelings known too to the chagrin of the some of the Officers and Members when I started participating heavily. We would often be clearing brush or repairing 3D targets and folks would drive in, use the Range (or whatever) and drive out when they were done. And some folks would state (and I paraphrase) " ...those lazy so-and-sos don't even come down to lend a hand ...they're 4$$holes". And my response would always be, "They paid their dues ...what do they owe us or the Club?" I'd ask, "where does it say in our Bylaws that anyone is required to work?" Those guys never seemed to understand ...now they do. We have a policy where working for 4 hours or 8 hours can get you money refunded from your dues payment. Either a Member can take advantage of that or not, it's their prerogative entirely.

I repeated those sentiments, and asked that question in response so often, that people stopped asking and complaining. Nothing's changed really other than we seem to be getting more help lately ...with less griping. Leading by example is always the way to go.

You have an awesome policy (and genuine attitude) and I wish more clubs would adopt it. The only club that I have heard that required work also had a rediculous yearly dues as well. As a certified broke-schmoe I'd love it if any clubs in my area would refund my dues for helping out.

Collectivism sucks. I don't care what the group is, there will be bitching in direct proportion to the irrelevance of the group's function. When it matters, people work together if necessary. Otherwise, they fight like caffeinated monkeys. So, five guys pinned down by gunfire who need to work together to survive: no problem. Five guys deciding how to run an earth day picnic: unbelievable acrimony, arrogance, and disorder.

The best predictor, I've found, of gun club BS is acreage and proximity to densely populated areas. A club out by itself with plenty of space is far more likely to function well than a little club on an acre or two right next to an office park. Exceptions exist, but this rule works pretty well. Best yet, plan ahead, save money, buy some land in a free state, and build your own range. Guaranteed, any other solution will be inferior in every way other than cost.

You have an awesome policy (and genuine attitude) and I wish more clubs would adopt it. The only club that I have heard that required work also had a rediculous yearly dues as well. As a certified broke-schmoe I'd love it if any clubs in my area would refund my dues for helping out.

I think that Monadnock's point is vaild: you pay your dues, you can use the club.

Being made to Volunteer was outlawed, IIRC, about 1860 or so.....

The bigger point is not the requirement to work, but the priviledge to complain. THAT often has to be earned through extra effort! [laugh]

When I recieve unsolicited suggestions as to how "it could have been better if...." I generally reply, "If you'd like to be the event chair for next time, I'll back you 100%" Generally works like a charm in both directions!

Honestly, for most of my time at the Club(s), I was the show-up-shoot-and-leave member. As far as I was concerned, my dues more than covered the wear and tear I caused. Circumstances changed and I now am able to devote more time to it. Before I became more involved, I made sure not to complain, as since I couldn't put up.....

Being more involved now, I also don't complain, as I've seen a lot of what is behind the curtain ( and as what I see as a service to the next generation, I've included my kids) and have a better appreciation of the less visible challenges. I, for one, won't speak ill of any poor SOB...errr....dedicated Member that serves as Treasurer or Secretary. Having made a couple of the pre-meeting dinners (again, with the kids) for 25; one understands what that entails.

My theory on Club Membership:

1) pay your dues, use the club.
2) pay your dues, and volunteer around the club (or, at least show up at meetings) , you can complain.
3) Join a Committee, the Board, or become an Officer....make changes happen.

And after all that's been discussed above, I'm sure that there will be no disagreement to this![rofl]

While I was on the e-board of Riverside (yes, I tried for 6 years to turn that place around to no avail) the subject of "qualifying" came up many times.

The ultimate solution was the following:

New members needed to attend a qualification. The bulk of the time was spent going over range rules. A copy of the rules was given to every member and they were asked to sign that they understood them. Then, using any handgun they wished (or using one of the instructor's) they had to show that they could hit an 8x11 sheet of paper 4 out of 5 shots at 50 ft. Not rocket science.

Reason? So that if something happened, the member could not say "I didn't know" and the club had some evidence that they understood the basics of aiming.

We also installed low light cameras and keycard readers at the ranges. I know that when damage has been found, the recording is reviewed and those responsible have been dealt with.

Sadly, the vast majority of the disciplinary meetings were in regards to behavior in the bar rather than on the ranges.

I resigned my seat after too many years of effort going into the bar and not the range improvements.

Posted rules only keep the honest in line. Someone who is in the mood to make some mayhem isn't going to care what is posted. Making people take courses is silly. You can be an a$$hole and be a good shot. Unfortunately the only way to catch people that are ruining a range is to have surveillance, it sucks, but that is the way it is. You have a camera at each side of the firing line so that the cameras are "covering" each other. Maybe one down-range behind 1" thick Lexan looking at the line. It's a shame things have to be like that. The up side is when you catch the scumbag that is destroying your range you can toss them out and let every local club know.
Now as far a politics, cliques, and that sort of thing. Well, there's nothing you can do about it. It's human nature and it happens in jobs, gun clubs, archery clubs, even motorcycle clubs.

I just find it great that I have several clubs to choose from in New Hampshire.
I belonged to 1 club that was close by, but had something like 900 members, a indoor and outdoor range. The club was just OK. The range was next to the main road, so i had to carry my firearm with me down to the 100 line because i was afraid of some passer by taking it, propane tanks got shot up by members, so I left for almost 2 years. I tried to get back in and they decided to charge me a 1 time fee $50.00 on top of reg. dues because I used to be a member. Simple BS in my opinion, so I went and joined another club that was about 5 miles further but had only 175 members. My club wants to remain small and only lets in a certain amount of new members a year. Every member must volunteer 1 day on a specific weekend in April to help clean up the club. One day. I can handle that.
Our club does not allow Alcohol at any time on club property. Makes sense to me.
We are not allowed to rapid fire either and we have no indoor range. I agree with this too, because I wouldn't want to listen to some bozo blow through 10 clips of 30 from his/her AR.

My point is that there is a club for everyone. Find one that you like and fits your needs. I did and I am happy!

I just find it great that I have several clubs to choose from in New Hampshire.
I belonged to 1 club that was close by, but had something like 900 members, a indoor and outdoor range. The club was just OK. The range was next to the main road, so i had to carry my firearm with me down to the 100 line because i was afraid of some passer by taking it, propane tanks got shot up by members, so I left for almost 2 years. I tried to get back in and they decided to charge me a 1 time fee $50.00 on top of reg. dues because I used to be a member. Simple BS in my opinion, so I went and joined another club that was about 5 miles further but had only 175 members. My club wants to remain small and only lets in a certain amount of new members a year. Every member must volunteer 1 day on a specific weekend in April to help clean up the club. One day. I can handle that.
Our club does not allow Alcohol at any time on club property. Makes sense to me.
We are not allowed to rapid fire either and we have no indoor range. I agree with this too, because I wouldn't want to listen to some bozo blow through 10 clips of 30 from his/her AR. My point is that there is a club for everyone. Find one that you like and fits your needs. I did and I am happy!

Good think I use a 100rd drum, I wouldn't want to be a bozo [laugh]

I'm with you on this, M1911. And as Jar pointed out above, our club has a rule that allows allows firing rate to be determined by whether you're staying on target. It only takes one round escaping the range and landing in the wrong place to get your club's range closed or worse getting someone injured. You gotta think long term.

Easy-peasey...find a club that allows your style of shooting. Lifes too short to bitch about the rules that you should have known about going in. There's a club out there for everyone. [thumbsup]

All clubs have politics . . . even non-gun clubs. [smile]

Over the >30 years of shooting, I've belonged to four clubs. Each had their own "personality" and rules . . . most were at least somewhat understandable and sensible given geography, range capability, proximity to homes, etc. Some were head-scratchers and some eventually became totally intolerable, resulting in my leaving.

In each of those clubs, I took an active role right out of the gate. In each one, I came to a realization that it was better for me to back down and get out of the way from the political flack. Each person has a tolerance level to deal with and thus YMMV.

Club #1 - Started out as a nice harmonious place with lots of activity in multiple areas. A request to shut down the outdoor range because it annoyed the skeet/trap shooters was dealt with . . . turned down at that time. Common knowledge that the indoor range had totally inadequate ventilation system was ignored for >30 years. Eventually a change in management resulted in the skeet/trap folks taking over and some rather "interesting" rule changes . . . NMT 6 rounds loaded at any time on the outdoor handgun range (5 rds max on indoor according to the president-at-that-time), and single-load only CF rifle on outdoor range.

Club #2 - During my tenure as a member, according to the secretary at that time, there was not a copy of the range rules written down anywhere for members to read/follow. Some signage contradicted itself on what was allowed, BOD minutes were secret and not shared with membership . . . and since the BOD decided any changes to the range rules (which frequently changed and only notice was to read posted signs every time you went there), this was significant wrt members being able to know/follow the rules. Anything that resulted in the displeasure of the officers seemed to have a propensity to end up as a "lawyer letter" threatening a lawsuit instead of simply talking with the individual and discussing anything in a civil manner first.

Club #3 - Great club, most rules are sensible but there are a few members who like to cause trouble for certain individuals whenever an opportunity avails itself or they can conjure up some false info to create trouble. So it's just best to go there, shoot and go home, not getting involved in anything otherwise.

Club #4 - Great club, very strict rules on what is allowed, but are publicly posted on website and given to all new members, so there should be no surprises to anyone. Housing encroaching property lines dictates many of the rules for safety and to prevent accusations of "someone pointed a gun at me" by the sheep that can see the ranges/parking lots. BOD does an excellent job running the place, and supports all sorts of activities that fit with range rules (e.g. forget about action shoots, shooting steel, etc.) including ancillary groups without charging them to use the club facilities.

And the difference between this logic and that exhibited on Beacon Hill is what? Why not just outlaw shooting the ceiling and enforce it?

It all depends on the club and who's running it. Sadly with your story you described many clubs in MA. Too many old dudes with small penis syndrome trying to be "in charge" of something.

You're much better off going to a club that lets adults act like adults. Monadnock in NH is one of them.

Since when is it required to be an "Old Dude" to have small penis syndrome and try to be in charge of something? Seems like there are plenty of young ones on here who match that description.

We are not allowed to rapid fire either and we have no indoor range. I agree with this too, because I wouldn't want to listen to some bozo blow through 10 clips of 30 from his/her AR.

It's good to know that people who shoot rapid fire (or automatics) are "bozos". I guess the wicked smart people only shoot a maximum of 3 rounds in a 6 hour span at the 100 yard range, right? [wink]

Back
Top Bottom