• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the NRA certificate as well as the MSP one, just wondering if they may jerk me around due to the age. I know the classes are good, but I'd really not pay another 100 dollars.

Technically, they don't expire. I'd put in for your interview/chirade and see what they say. It's usually the first thing you do, so they should be able to look right at it and tewll you whether or not it's good before you fork over the $100 licensing fee.

Just got a call from Plainville PD for fingerprinting this weekend. They also told me it would be in my best interest to provide them with some kind of letter as to why I need ALP. Any suggestions as to what I should be including in this letter?

Just got a call from Plainville PD for fingerprinting this weekend. They also told me it would be in my best interest to provide them with some kind of letter as to why I need ALP*. Any suggestions as to what I should be including in this letter?
If you want and unrestricted LTC in a red town you need to come up with a specific need for self-defense that is particularized to you and would not apply to most members of the general population.

* LTCs are ALWAYS issued for "All Lawful Purposes", they're just subject to 'whatever' restriction the LA deems 'proper'. ALP is a 'reason', not a restriction and the reason is always All Lawful Purposes. We're really concerned with restrictions. (sorry to be 'that guy')

If you want and unrestricted LTC in a red town you need to come up with a specific need for self-defense that is particularized to you and would not apply to most members of the general population.

* LTCs are ALWAYS issued for "All Lawful Purposes", they're just subject to 'whatever' restriction the LA deems 'proper'. ALP is a 'reason', not a restriction and the reason is always All Lawful Purposes. We're really concerned with restrictions. (sorry to be 'that guy')

So your guidance would be to just eat the restriction that I'm bound to get and not make much of an argument about it?

So your guidance would be to just eat the restriction that I'm bound to get and not make much of an argument about it?

What I'm suggesting is what's normally a successful approach in most 'red' towns, including Boston. If you can identify a risk or reason that is distinct from the general public you're in a much better position. If your reason for requesting an unrestricted LTC is a generalized one of self-defense you haven't set yourself apart from the rest of the town. If the PD accepts 'self-defense' from you, they've set a precedent and should accept if from everyone. That is what they don't want to do.

You should always request what you want. If they're going to issue you a restricted LTC, they're just going to do it regardless. Some towns are changing and people do get unrestricted LTCs when they expect otherwise. But you have to ask.

What I'm suggesting is what's normally a successful approach in most 'red' towns, including Boston. If you can identify a risk or reason that is distinct from the general public you're in a much better position. If your reason for requesting an unrestricted LTC is a generalized one of self-defense you haven't set yourself apart from the rest of the town. If the PD accepts 'self-defense' from you, they've set a precedent and should accept if from everyone. That is what they don't want to do.

You should always request what you want. If they're going to issue you a restricted LTC, they're just going to do it regardless. Some towns are changing and people do get unrestricted LTCs when they expect otherwise. But you have to ask.

I'll take your advice into consideration while I brainstorm ideas for the letter. Thanks.

Keep up the good work guys! I'm still looking for feedback on the following towns.

Alford
Aquinnah
Ashfield
Blandford

Buckland
Charlemont
Chester
Chesterfield
Chilmark
Clarksburg
Colrain
Conway
Cummington
Deerfield
Dover
Dunstable
Egremont
Florida
Freetown
Gill
Gosnold
Granville
Hadley
Hancock
Hawley
Heath
Lanesborough
Leverett
Longmeadow
Manchester-by-the-Sea

Monroe
Monterey
Montgomery
Mount Washington
New Ashford
New Braintree
New Marlborough
New Salem
Orleans
Otis
Petersham
Provincetown

Raynham
Richmond
Rowe
Russell
Sandisfield
Savoy
Shelburne
Sherborn
Stockbridge
Tisbury
Tolland

Warwick
Washington
Wendell
West Brookfield
West Tisbury

Good to hear, Kiver!

Using Forum Runner. Please excuse spelling errors, formatting, and absent links.

You can turn Hadley Green. I got mine last fall, no problems whatsoever, and FAST. I was all worried and prepared to answer any questions as to why I wanted an LTC A, and the chief threw me a curveball, he asked "so do you WANT any restrictions on your license?" I was like "uhhh, no, not that I can think of". He chuckled.

My buddy also got his LTC A a few weeks back, no problems, fast, and the Chief was very nice.

Chief Huckowicz - He is set to retire in the next year or two so I recommend anyone in Hadley go sooner than later to get their license while he is still in office. This is what I was told from a townie and it worked out great.

Just got done fingerprinting in Plainville. Two weeks from the day I passed my application in to get an appointment, not too bad. The process was mostly harmless. I was instructed to write a letter explaining why I needed ALP. I consulted some individuals here as well as my class instructor who gave me a wealth of information to include in the letter.

The person taking the electronic prints as well as my photo was a receptionist behind the glass. Upon reading my letter to the chief regarding why I needed ALP (didn't even know she was allowed to read it..), she explained to me that "personal protection went out the door 20 years ago..you know that right?". I sat there with a dumb look until a family friend who is an officer came in and fingerprinted me with ink.

Plainville is a red town, as such I understand I'll probably receive a restricted license. I have a good feeling that that will be the case seeing as how I saw a pile of prior applications/drivers license copies with "LTC A - H+T" written on them.

Last edited:
Guys, I haven't updated the map (http://keiiken.net/images/macitytowngun.png) in like 9 months because I've moved to NC.

Does anyone have the ability to take it over and keep up with the updates?

I can still host it forever - you'll just need to email it to me whenever you update it. I can have the latest version up within an hour as long as I'm at the computer.

What is the map done in? Psd, arc, etc?

Update on Hudson: Last Tuesday, which was 62 days after handing in my paperwork, I received a call to go in for fingerprinting, which I did on Saturday. Now they're sending it out to the State Police, the LO said I should have it in "about 30 days".

Just applied for LTC in Chicopee. Called this morning and got same day appointment, officer was nice enough, didn't bother asking me reason for issuance either (chicopee gives out restricted only of course). Told roughly 90 days for license to come in. Wish me luck.

Random, both my wife and I have our permits on Chicopee. They don't even talk about restrictions, you just get restricted, period. But if you had sent a well crafted letter with references to the CoP he may have considered it, so long as your record is 100% clean IE no arrests ever. But I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I'm not, I've accepted at this point I won't get unrestricted. At this point I'm just hoping it comes in within the 90 days stated and that there will be anything left on the shelves when I finally go out to buy something.

Just something I found interesting. Had to start with my B in Canton and work my way up to an A with restrictions a year later (five years on my license, and target shooting). A guy that owns a business in this town who is friends with the licensing officer walked in and got his ALP the first time. This person had and still has ZERO experience in firearms and probably couldn't hit the broad sign of a barn. Goes to show you how shitty the system is.

Business owners get preference by legislation and by custom. A business owner can get a LTC in either the community where he lives or the community where he works. A friend of mine is a dentist who lives in one town and has his practice in another city. When he got his LTC, his town of residence would only give first time licensees Class A restricted LTCs. The city where his practice is was green and gave him a LTC unrestricted. He probably could have convinced the licensing authority where he lives to give him an unrestricted, but since he could get one somewhere else with no extra work, that's what he did.

The practice of giving a restricted or even Class B has nothing at all to do with proficiency with handguns. It seems to be totally related to a lack of trust by the licensing authority. Business owners are considered generally more responsible as individuals and so get leeway. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but it does seem to be the prevailing opinion. Not to mention that they are taxpayers and if they live in the town where their business is, they vote.

It's like a town I know of where non residents ALWAYS got a citation for traffic offenses, renters usually got a citation for traffic offenses, but property owners almost NEVER got a citation for traffic offenses.

Just something I found interesting. Had to start with my B in Canton and work my way up to an A with restrictions a year later (five years on my license, and target shooting). A guy that owns a business in this town who is friends with the licensing officer walked in and got his ALP the first time. This person had and still has ZERO experience in firearms and probably couldn't hit the broad sign of a barn. Goes to show you how shitty the system is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom