Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was forwarded a message by a very reliable source. I normally don't do this but I will post it as the person who wrote this message cannot post here.

For reasons that pass my understanding, NES lists Attleboro as GREEN.

The PD that posted a sign in its foyer that no-one under age 25 (or was it 26) would get an unrestricted LTC.

The PD that refuses to accept the original F 25/26.

The PD that demands 3 notarized "letters of recommendation" with an app. And, it appears, a superfluous safety certificate.

How is THAT green?

Foxboro is listed as red. I would like to know why. I've had dealings with Foxboro and, while it can be problematic, I've not heard of it jerking people around the way A'boro does, still less Brookline.

Finally, Avon is yellow. Again, why? I have NEVER received a complaint about Avon. Further, the chief is a competitive shooter and worked with Gregg Derr to improve the Target Roster regulations (which were approved by GCAB almost a year ago and have been held in limbo by EOPSS senior staff since).

So - is there ANY logic to these rankings? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks,

First Attleboro is green because although they may have some "obscure" requirements, it's been reported here that they more often then not issue non-resticted LTC's.

Foxboro is red because many members have reported that they receive restricted LTC's.

Avon was listed as yellow but I will update it to green with your new information.

Beverly is listed as green but i called the frb today and 12 weeks into it my app hasnt been sent into the state, and I have received no responce

At some point I'd probably call my Selectman, or Mayor.

I know doing so may make things worse, but with your LO simply sitting for twelve weeks, could it be much worse ?

My LO sent my Application to the FRB the same day I applied.

You could also contact your State Rep or State Senator. If they want to help you, they will. If they don't want to, they will most likely ignore you. I might try them first. There may be less risk.

Last edited:
I have called the state reps, also have called the Cheif to ask about it, i was told he would call me back. the LO hung up on me last week, he was having a bad day i guess.I was very nice when I called anyone also

GOAL told me to call the reps. they were very helpful. I understand people are busy, and im sure that the police are being bombarded with applications and everything else they do on a daily basis, just am a little upset the way I was treated when i called to ask about it. Im sure calling the cheif will back fire on me, but what was i supposed to do?

Braintree:

First time applicant, no history.
Applied/Fingerprinted: 12/06/12
Picked up LTC A today: 1/18/13
Restrictions: Target & Hunting

I called the LO to ask why the restrictions were placed on the LTC as my application was put in for ALP. Was told Braintree doesn't issue ALP unless there are extenuating circumstances i.e. job related. He also stated that the restrictions are "purely administrative" and that if I were so inclined to carry outside of Target/Hunting I could and could not be penalized for doing so. However if there were ever an incident where BPD found out I was carrying outside of the restricted reasons it could be grounds for dismissal of the license. I asked if there was anything I could do, courses etc. to improve my chances for an unrestricted license upon renewal and the short answer was no.

I received a call from and aid from the state house and a state rep will go to bat for me if I dont hear anything by the 1st of Feb. It sux to wait ,but its nice to know the elected officials are helping out. I called the office this morning and I received a very polite and helpful phone call tonight at 5 oclock.Thank you everyone that gave advice.
advice.

Last edited:
Attleboro is Green (and Shiny).

You might want to hold off on your green and shiny assessment. So far the process as you describe it calls for two letters that are outside the state mandated process, you've had to go there several times at their convenience, and they are clearly taking longer than the state mandate. On top of this, you don't actually have your LTC yet and have no idea if it will be unrestricted. You may prove to be absolutely right about them being green, but you sure don't know that yet from the experience you describe.

You might want to hold off on your green and shiny assessment. So far the process as you describe it calls for two letters that are outside the state mandated process, you've had to go there several times at their convenience, and they are clearly taking longer than the state mandate. On top of this, you don't actually have your LTC yet and have no idea if it will be unrestricted. You may prove to be absolutely right about them being green, but you sure don't know that yet from the experience you describe.

Red/Green/Yellow/Black as it is sued for this thread is used to only indicate what the most common type of restrictions are given out. It does not indicate ease of process, speed of process or anything involved in the application process as a whole. An important distinction.

Only problem is that I have never seen a town that would allow for renewals to be presented more than 3 months before it is up.

No town advertises this. I filed papers in October for a February renewal last go-around. I'll be dropping off my Wife's renewal paperwork and check in March or April for an August renewal. My town requires an interview and it might be 2 months before you get to the interview, so timing is critical.

Last edited:
Red/Green/Yellow/Black as it is sued for this thread is used to only indicate what the most common type of restrictions are given out. It does not indicate ease of process, speed of process or anything involved in the application process as a whole. An important distinction.

Exactly. And you will notice that the poster I was replying to just submitted his application last week and has not gotten his LTC yet. Just because they seemed to be nice guys at the PD doesn't make it green and shiny.

Exactly. And you will notice that the poster I was replying to just submitted his application last week and has not gotten his LTC yet. Just because they seemed to be nice guys at the PD doesn't make it green and shiny.

According to what's happened in the past Attleboro is green.

So I am going to be applying for my class A ALP sometime this week. I heard bad news about Hudson in the past. Has it got better with handing out ALPs or is it still a red town?

I applied on 12/6/12 and received my LTC ALP on 1/18/13. licensing officer seems very gruff. when I called he seemed like he didn't want to schedule an appointment. when I called to check on my app, after I had been told by FRB that it had been mailed, all he would say was you'll get a call when it's here. When meeting with him in person he was fine though. I think he is employing a tactic I've seen in College. On the first day a professor will come in and slam the door anyone who is late they will attack, tell you how this is a hard class and you're going to have lots of work etc. Then second class they are the complete opposite. they just try to weed out people who aren't serious etc. For my app I was told that I couldn't put all lawful purposes. That I had to write a letter explaining why i needed a firearm. I still put ALP and wrote a letter with lots of input from these forums. I think that if your serious and take the time to write a good letter you should have no problems. just my opinion.

Anyone know if things have changed at all in New Bedford? Going on two years of having my t&h class A and was told when I got my Ltc I could try after a year or two to lift my restrictions. I'm pretty sure that was his way of getting me out of there with hopes of having an ALP Ltc in due time. Anyone been through the process lately with good results?

SALEM

The Bad News:
Salem is RED. Getting a Class A Unrestricted is very difficult. The Licensing Officer, Sergeant Makros, made it very clear at my Interview that they are granted rarely, with one of the exceptions being when a LTC is required by an Employer.

The Good News: Salem is very efficient. Expect the initial Interview to be scheduled one month away, not two, three, or six, as others have reported in other cities and towns. The LO will input all your info into the computer during your Interview. The LO will take your photo digitally; no need to bring Passport Photos. Cash is ok for the Application Fee. Fingerprints will be taken at the same time. The forms are right on the Salem PD Web Site. Do your homework; fill them out completely and HONESTLY. If your Employer is requiring your LTC, bring a letter from them to that effect. Make certain you bring all your documents or there will be delays. You will receive whatever the PD decides is appropriate exactly 40 days from the Interview. I would advise you not to contact the LO before then - it will not help.

Conclusion: The advice and statements made here are purely my personal experience. Your experience may be different. I received my LTC A, required by my Employer, exactly 40 days from the Interview.

Last edited:
I just went in for my renewal interview in Mashpee. Let me just say how pleasant the person who does the licensing, Mary, is one of the most pleasant people I've dealt with in a long time. I'm told the lead time is about eight weeks currently so it should work out perfectly.

Anyone know if things have changed at all in New Bedford? Going on two years of having my t&h class A and was told when I got my Ltc I could try after a year or two to lift my restrictions. I'm pretty sure that was his way of getting me out of there with hopes of having an ALP Ltc in due time. Anyone been through the process lately with good results?

Here's a question for you - When you got your class A with restrictions, did they mention if you'd actually be OK to carry, or do the restrictions prevent that? I'm going to try to apply in a month or so, but don't know if it's worth it or if I should wait until I move to a more lenient town.

Here's a question for you - When you got your class A with restrictions, did they mention if you'd actually be OK to carry, or do the restrictions prevent that? I'm going to try to apply in a month or so, but don't know if it's worth it or if I should wait until I move to a more lenient town.

Target & Hunting restrictions essentially means that your License To Carry is NOT a License To Carry, but rather a license to buy, transport unloaded (and locked in a box or trunk, if high-capacity or a handgun), and use at your target and hunting destination.

IANAL YMMV

Target & Hunting restrictions essentially means that your License To Carry is NOT a License To Carry, but rather a license to buy, transport unloaded (and locked in a box or trunk, if high-capacity or a handgun), and use at your target and hunting destination.

IANAL YMMV
That answers that. Looks like I'll be relocating first. Thanks.

Anyone familiar with Whitman's current status? My fiance and I were told in our interview that we were all set for Class A restriction=none and they gave us or Lic#'s but I'm just wondering because 1.5 weeks later and it's still in "pending" status per Chelsea. We are by no means getting antsy just yet but just curious.

IANAL YMMV

I thought there was a SPORTING LTC that allows a person who has a B to CC when Hiking or Camping ?

Or maybe I'm just imagining that.

Anyone familiar with Whitman's current status? My fiance and I were told in our interview that we were all set for Class A restriction=none and they gave us or Lic#'s but I'm just wondering because 1.5 weeks later and it's still in "pending" status per Chelsea. We are by no means getting antsy just yet but just curious.

1.5 weeks later meaning, after your interviews? Even at the best of times it takes longer than that in MA.

for Somerville
12/20 passed safety course
12/21 called to schedule appointment at police dept for 12/31
12/31 dropped off application, photos and fingerprints taken
1/24 got the call that license was ready
1/25 picked up Class A restricted License but from the research i did first timers always get restricted it gets removed when renewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom