Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Brockton and just received my LTC Class A Unrestricted. The wait for the interview was about 8 weeks, and then another 10 weeks for the license.

It's like a town I know of where non residents ALWAYS got a citation for traffic offenses, renters usually got a citation for traffic offenses, but property owners almost NEVER got a citation for traffic offenses.

I strongly doubt that the cop who pulls you over would research the property tax database to tell who's renter and who's owner. Apt.# may be the clue. Residents vs. non residents sounds plausible.

I strongly doubt that the cop who pulls you over would research the property tax database to tell who's renter and who's owner. Apt.# may be the clue. Residents vs. non residents sounds plausible.

Apartment number isn't a reliable indicator, either, at least not in Boston and its denser suburbs.

Absence of an apartment number is no indication that your're not in an apartment. Many 2 and 3 family houses have individual street numbers for each unit. I rent half of a two family house. My unit and the other unit in the building have different street numbers and no apartment number, a fact which appears to confound the pizza delivery guy every time I call. With three-deckers, commonly, the "landlord's unit" is on the first floor, and has a separate entrance door and street number from the other two units.

The reverse can also be true. Many multifamily houses that were converted to condos bear unit or apartment numbers.

Anybody know the current status of Methuen? The OP shows it as green (formerly red) - but I don't know if that is up to date.

A co-worker is looking to get his license - lives in Methuen, and I told him I'd find out what he would be up against.

Anybody know the current status of Methuen? A co-worker is looking to get his license - lives in Methuen, and I told him I'd find out what he would be up against.

Dropped app on December 27th
Got the call for interview on January 2nd
Interview on January 7th
Was told it will be about 8 weeks

Just renewed in Sudbury, coming from a green town with an ALP. First renewal.
Completed app with officer on Nov 13th and picked it up yesterday with ALP (well, literally "None").
8 weeks start to finish, which is not too bad considering the holiday.

West Boylston (ALP) - I submitted my renewal application on Dec. 11 and picked up the license today, Jan. 11.
Funny thing is that I was too honest on the application regarding my hair color. Next to black, I wrote very slightly gray and now my license says GRAY for hair color. That doesn't make me feel as young as I should.

West Boylston (ALP) - I submitted my renewal application on Dec. 11 and picked up the license today, Jan. 11.
Funny thing is that I was too honest on the application regarding my hair color. Next to black, I wrote very slightly gray and now my license says GRAY for hair color. That doesn't make me feel as young as I should.

Is there a spot for HAIR = NONE ?

Interview on January 7th

I know of a few people who have Unrestricted in Methuen, not the brightest individuals either. You should be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Interview on January 7th

I know of a few people who have Unrestricted in Methuen, not the brightest individuals either. You should be okay.

New member here. Will be applying for next renewal in Agawam (which I just moved to in November) in a few months.

Past history of licenses:

1997 - FID in Chicopee. Initially denied as CORI check turned up two COFI cases from when I was a minor that were never closed out properly as Northampton was switching from paper to electronic records back then. Made a trip to Northampton Probation office, got everything straightened out, and several weeks later everything was clear.

1999 - Received LTC-A ALP from Holyoke. Chief Scott was running the show at the time, never had to meet with him or provide anything out of the ordinary. When officer was writing up my permit, no questions asked about ALP reason. Officer handling it was polite but no-nonsense.

2003 - Renewal in Holyoke, again received LTC-A ALP, no problems.

2007 - Renewal in Springfield. IIRC you could only apply one morning per week, Wednesdays I believe it was, first thing in the morning. Under former Chief Flynn, they do NOT issue ALP as a reason. Instead, under Restrictions they put "None". I was told this was for liability reasons. According to other people I talked to, they would usually issue a restricted LTC-A for new applications, but renewals were almost always completely unrestricted.

2013 - My permit is up in July. I will be submitting my application in April. They have a specific licensing officer that is there M-F, but I do not yet know how their process will go. I do know that when I sent my COA paperwork to Springfield, Agawam and COHI, Agawam mailed it back to me stating they needed a copy of the back of my license as well. This was the first time I have ever been asked for the back of it. I dropped the paperwork back off with the additional page in person with the dispatcher, who said they would leave it for the licensing officer.

Longmeadow, MA....

New to the forum....obtained my class A "without restrictions" after taking the basic course to get the license as well as a Hnadgun Course at Smith and Wesson.....this was a few years ago and I'm not sure if that is still necessary as I forget if it was the same Chief. The current Chief is a very nice guy....he just currently signed off on an SBR for me although he did it reluctantly....he is a private gun owner himself and used to have an FFL....

I'm in Brockton and just received my LTC Class A Unrestricted. The wait for the interview was about 8 weeks, and then another 10 weeks for the license.

Jesus, that doesn't give me much hope that I'll have mine in the "about 30 days" after fingerprinting that I was told. Today is day 30, by the way. tick tock...

Jesus, that doesn't give me much hope that I'll have mine in the "about 30 days" after fingerprinting that I was told. Today is day 30, by the way. tick tock...

Are you in the same town? Though many towns blame delays on the state, almost all the delay is the town.

Much to my surprise I recently received a full boat LTC in the town of Milton. No restrictions. Was my first time applying. Past history is clean as a whistle.

2013 - My permit is up in July. I will be submitting my application in April. .

I wouldn't wait till April...

With the backlog that they have now I would start it soon...

With the hoops you have to jump through with most departments it takes a long time...

I also just saw it somewere that approval place is buryed with LTC/FID apps, so don't wait...

Are you in the same town? Though many towns blame delays on the state, almost all the delay is the town.
No, I'm in Hudson. So far I'm not impressed with their expediency. It took 63 days from the time I handed in my paperwork for them to call me for fingerprinting. I'm assuming (feel free to correct me), that they did the federal check during that time and now it's off to the State Police. I went in on Saturday Dec 15th to speak with the LO / fingerprinting, and he said it would take "about 30 days" to get my license. I have a 100% clean record, no transgressions of any kind. We'll see...

No, I'm in Hudson. So far I'm not impressed with their expediency. It took 63 days from the time I handed in my paperwork for them to call me for fingerprinting. I'm assuming (feel free to correct me), that they did the federal check during that time and now it's off to the State Police. I went in on Saturday Dec 15th to speak with the LO / fingerprinting, and he said it would take "about 30 days" to get my license. I have a 100% clean record, no transgressions of any kind. We'll see...

I think it's the state that sends stuff off to the feds, not the town. You've likely got a long wait ahead of you.

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and will soon be applying for my license in Plainville. I can see it's a red town and through talking to people it seems near impossible to get an unrestricted class A LTC on the first try. Does anyone have any advice specific to Plainville's application process? I've briefly consulted with a lawyer who told me that unless I carry around big bags of money as part of my work, then I'm highly unlikely to be successful in getting no restrictions.

Attleboro is Green (and Shiny).

Moved here December 1st, got my drivers license and proof of residence stuff by mid-December (had to go to RMV in Taunton, about 25 minutes away). Call ahead to the RMV, they have some weird rules about all the things you need to have just to get a drivers license.

Obviously, it's my first time applying for my LTC-A unrestricted in MA. Went and got my LTC training course and certificate done via KBA / www.massltctrain.com. Jeff Kaplan was an excellent instructor (it was like a 20 minute drive from the Attleboro to Mansfield MA, park either out on the street or back behind the building, training is done up on the 3rd floor). Jeff keeps his courses small, we had 5 people in our course. He took us through various handguns (revolvers and semi-auto, .22LR, 9mm, 45ACP, .38 special were all part of the classroom training as well as during the shooting range training). You just need the classroom training course, not the live shooting afterward (but I went and did the shooting as well). Note this is specific to training you on how to operate/maintain and carry a handgun, does not include rifles or shotguns. To the best of my knowledge, you do not need training on long guns to get an LTC-A.

Although I found and printed out the LTC-A application from Attleboro Police Department's website, they wouldn't accept it and gave me a printed packet of the latest version of the application when I went to the Attleboro Police Deptment on Union Street. I recommend calling ahead and request to talk to the person in charge of LTC applications, because they often leave by 3:30pm or 4pm, and tend to take odd days off. When you get ahold of said person, ask them for the packet and go pick one up to fill out. Limited parking between the PD building and the bus stop, you may need to park across the street at the Salvation Army parking lot.

Complete their version of the LTC application and bring in the necessary support stuff. The LTC application paperwork tells you what you need, including a valid MA drivers license, 2 proofs of residency (bills and/or rental agreement), $100 check made out to City of Attleboro (do not date the check until you have the official interview), a copy of your completed LTC training certificate and most importantly 2 character reference letters from unrelated individuals made out and addressed to Chief Kyle Heagney (DO NOT PUT Attleboro Police Dept), expressing you to be a responsible person (if you need help on what to have in the letter, just ask Jeff Kaplan). Make sure you get all the contact information from each of those two individuals giving you the reference letters, you'll need it for the paperwork (at least name/address/phone, even e-mail is preferred). I also made sure it was two individuals living in MA, not sure if that mattered but I thought it best that I use in-state references.

FYI - You'll need your driver's license, $100 check (they do not take cash) and 2 proofs of residency for both interviews (the initial interview is just to check that you have everything you need for the actual interview and to setup a date/time for the actual interview). It only cost $100 one time, they just want you to wait until the official interview to give it to them dated on the day of the interview.

Once I got in for them to verify my info and sign some initial paperwork in mid December (about a week before Christmas), I was scheduled for an interview with Lt. Keane on 1/9/13 (holidays and backups). Went to the interview, Lt Keane was a great guy who appears to be pro-gun and pro LTC-A. His basic concern is that you make sure to keep all your guns and ammo locked up until you need to use them. Interview had some hiccups (their computer systems were up and down the day I went in), but overall a smooth event (less than an hour). Paper/ink fingerprinting done (upstairs), then electronic scan of your trigger finger along with a digital photo of your face are forwarded to their processing center.

I'm now 1 week in on my 10 to 12 week processing time (hoping April at this point) to receive my LTC-A unrestricted. I know it's outside the "40 days" required by law, but they are extremely backed up both at the local PD as well as state. Hopefully I'll get my card and PIN so I can finally acquire some MA complaint firearms before any new state ban is implemented (see 1st sticky in forums about 7-round capacity limit) or any new nationwide "assault weapons" ban is implemented.

Last edited:
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and will soon be applying for my license in Plainville. I can see it's a red town and through talking to people it seems near impossible to get an unrestricted class A LTC on the first try. Does anyone have any advice specific to Plainville's application process? I've briefly consulted with a lawyer who told me that unless I carry around big bags of money as part of my work, then I'm highly unlikely to be successful in getting no restrictions.

I have good news to report about Plainville. I called this morning about my LTC A which I applied for one day after the Sandy Hook tragedy (just the date they gave me for my appointment, bad timing I know). I drove down expecting to walk back out with my restricted LTC A. Got the envelope, opened the envelope, my license fell in between my car seat in one of those awkward spots..fooled around for about 25 minutes trying to get it out of the crevace between the carpet and the car..held my license up and looked..and wouldn't ya' know it, LTC A, Restrictions: None.

I had to write a letter as to why I needed All Lawful Purpose. I included the basic bread and butter you'd expect.

Timeline:

Applied: December 8th
Fingerprinted: December 15th
Received: January 17th

First time applicant, no prior history.
--------------------

I am hesitant to suggest this town turning green after the amount of people I've consulted who have had the opposite result but just an experience I wanted to share.

Last edited:
I have good news to report about Plainville. I called this morning about my LTC A which I applied for one day after the Sandy Hook tragedy (just the date they gave me for my appointment, bad timing I know). I drove down expecting to walk back out with my restricted LTC A. Got the envelope, opened the envelope, my license fell in between my car seat in one of those awkward spots..fooled around for about 25 minutes trying to get it out of the crevace between the carpet and the car..held my license up and looked..and wouldn't ya' know it, LTC A, Restrictions: None.

I had to write a letter as to why I needed All Lawful Purpose. I included the basic bread and butter you'd expect.

Timeline:

Applied: December 8th
Fingerprinted: December 15th
Received: January 17th

First time applicant, no prior history.
--------------------

I am hesitant to suggest this town turning green after the amount of people I've consulted who have had the opposite result but just an experience I wanted to share.

Under six weeks.

Congrats !

I think it's the state that sends stuff off to the feds, not the town. You've likely got a long wait ahead of you.

So what the hell were they doing for that first 63 days? Also, can someone clarify the "40 days law" that is referenced above? I'm not familiar with that.

This is really frustrating. I dropped off my paperwork in October, didn't get called to go in until december. Seriously, what the hell were they doing from october 12th through december 15th? It's not like Hudson is a big town that has thousands of applications coming in daily.

This is really frustrating. I dropped off my paperwork in October, didn't get called to go in until december. Seriously, what the hell were they doing from october 12th through december 15th? It's not like Hudson is a big town that has thousands of applications coming in daily.

Go green, search "licensing delays". There's a ton of info on delays, execuses from the pd/state for delays, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom