Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know for sure but the way they handled my appliction and interview and from things tht were said to me by the licensing officer I would say it's at least closer to green than red now. That's just my opinion though and I don't have any real evidence to support it other than my experience.

Anyone deal with Somerville recently? Is O'Connell still the LO? Waiting for a new one then I'm going to request removal of restrictions.

I applied for an unrestricted class A in Canton (silly me) and got a Class B. I was just discharged from my active duty Army Officer position, joined the National Guard immediately after, and have previously held CCWs in two other states (WA and FL) but apparently I'm not trustworthy enough to have an A yet.

Not looking to create an uproar or anything, just want to let everyone know that they still shouldn't move to Canton. Hopefully I'll be moving to Mansfield in two months so I can spend even more money and fix this nonsense.

I applied for an unrestricted class A in Canton (silly me) and got a Class B. I was just discharged from my active duty Army Officer position, joined the National Guard immediately after, and have previously held CCWs in two other states (WA and FL) but apparently I'm not trustworthy enough to have an A yet.

Not looking to create an uproar or anything, just want to let everyone know that they still shouldn't move to Canton. Hopefully I'll be moving to Mansfield in two months so I can spend even more money and fix this nonsense.

YOur permit will still be under Canton's control, so that will suck. I was also under the impression that to get a new LTC when not within the renew period, required convincing your old town to expire your permit early, which they dont legally have to do.....

YOur permit will still be under Canton's control, so that will suck. I was also under the impression that to get a new LTC when not within the renew period, required convincing your old town to expire your permit early, which they dont legally have to do.....

This is 100% true and knowing the reputation of Canton, I seriously doubt that they would expire a LTC early so the person could re-apply elsewhere and obtain an unrestricted LTC-A. Sorry, but I just don't see it happening. Looks like you'll have to wait out the 6 years to expiration . . . although I certainly would recommend trying to get Canton to "do the right thing"!

Good luck.

Crap. Well, hopefully I won't have to wait 6 years, because the lieutenant said that they will allow people to reapply after a year for an unrestricted A and that most get it.

Also, I could have sworn that I proposed this scenario during my MFS class and the response didn't say anything about the previous town being in charge of the update. Maybe that's one of the reasons that people scoffed at me when I said I was going to MFS...

Crap. Well, hopefully I won't have to wait 6 years, because the lieutenant said that they will allow people to reapply after a year for an unrestricted A and that most get it.

Also, I could have sworn that I proposed this scenario during my MFS class and the response didn't say anything about the previous town being in charge of the update. Maybe that's one of the reasons that people scoffed at me when I said I was going to MFS...

The issuing authority does indeed retain control. In fact, if the chief in your new town wants to add a restriction to your existing LTC, suspend or revoke it, (s)he cannot do so directly, but must request such action be taken by the issuing authority.

When I teach the licensing class, I cover all the basics, but also point out the case where someone hired an attorney to convince a chief to expire his existing license so he could get an unrestricted one. When one looks at absurdities, the concept of hiring an attorney to try to get your license expired, when other people are hiring the same attorney to try to get a license issues, is almost off the scale.

MFS tends to run decent classes, but there is so much stuff in state and federal law that any instructor will miss *something*. For example, did your instructor cover the fact that an anchoring shot is proof of sufficient concern for the suffering of the animal if you shoot a dog that worries you or your livestock? (Fortunately, notifying the owner or getting the dog medical attention also counts).

Did those people also go to MFS? Or did they scoff because you didnt go where they suggested?

When you get down to the law, Rob Boudrie is right, almost every instructor will miss something. In the grand scheme of things, that is a far safer thing to miss than say, screwing up the discussion on safe storage, etc.

Yeah I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about MFS and I had a great experience with their courses. Some ignorant people I've known have not wanted to take their ccw class because there's no live fire... whatever.

Yeah I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about MFS and I had a great experience with their courses. Some ignorant people I've known have not wanted to take their ccw class because there's no live fire... whatever.

Those people should read the course description and understand why they do their CCW class the way they do....think legalities of carrying......

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just cannot believe how ridiculous these laws and requirements are based upon the other two states that I've held CCWs in. I'm not knocking MFS, because they do lay out things very logically for people who are not familiar with firearms. I guess I'm just taking my frustrations out with Mass laws on them and the fact that I had to fork over another hundo to get lectured on basic firearms terminology.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just cannot believe how ridiculous these laws and requirements are based upon the other two states that I've held CCWs in. I'm not knocking MFS, because they do lay out things very logically for people who are not familiar with firearms. I guess I'm just taking my frustrations out with Mass laws on them and the fact that I had to fork over another hundo to get lectured on basic firearms terminology.

Check out http://www.massgunlawreform.com/ if you want to get involved

Supposedly a new (ish) COP. I got a buddy and his GF just got their unrestricted's withing the last couple months. They both said it was in and out. Hopefully Natick is working it's way to being Green!

Kinda new...He was on the PPD for a while then went down south for a few years IIRC and now he's back.

Leominster update. Applied for renewal of LTC-A (ALP) on 9/26/11 and received the call from the Police Dept., today, saying it is ready for pick-up.

Still ALP and the process was slick and painless.

I moved to Merrimac MA over the summer and planning to apply for an LTC-A soon. Does anyone have recent experience in Merrimac? I understand it was a red town, but I believe there is a new chief of police and I'm wondering if things are better now.

On a side note, I called the police station today to ask about the process and they said you do not fill out the paper application any more - it's done on-line, apparently with the licensing officer.

Ah...and I should also mentioned this is my first post here. :)

Gastrok,

Fill it out and bring it with you. Answering off-the-cuff could result in erroneously answering a question and that is reason for denial.

True, they type it all in the computer, but better to go prepared than not.

Thanks LenS - good advice.

Is this on-line application a new thing? and does it speed up the process? (wishful thinking eh..)

Gastrok,

Fill it out and bring it with you. Answering off-the-cuff could result in erroneously answering a question and that is reason for denial.

True, they type it all in the computer, but better to go prepared than not.
Not only that, if you complete the application in advance you'll have a record of how you ACTUALLY answered he questions, not how there were entered into the computer.

Thanks LenS - good advice.

Is this on-line application a new thing? and does it speed up the process? (wishful thinking eh..)

It's been in place for a number of years in most towns.

They type the answers to your questions on the computer (system is called MIRCS), print it out and have you sign it under pains and penalties of perjury. So yes, you are responsible for any mistakes they make filling it out and they could even criminally prosecute you.

Addresses you have lived at previously, non-MA licenses (and numbers), EXACT info if you have ever been arrested or appeared in court for a criminal matter, etc. are not things you want to "wing" when asked those questions.

I handed in a printed copy to my PD with my check and they typed it all in prior to my appearing for the "interview" (some towns do it this way) and in fact they had already done all the background checks prior to my interview. I then compared their computer-generated copy to a copy (ALWAYS keep a copy for yourself) I brought with me to the interview. Had there been any mistakes I would have made them correct them before signing anything.

MIRCS "can" speed up the process considerably if the PD is motivated to use it correctly. Many PDs don't and still drag people on for 8-12 weeks, blaming it on the state (usually this is BS). I had my last renewal in-hand 9 days after my interview. [I had submitted the paperwork 6 weeks prior to the interview.]

Thanks again for the insight guys.

So, back to my 1st question - any intel on whether the town (Merrimac MA) has gone green?

Got a call about 10 minutes ago. Interview on Monday. I was told I'm likely to be restricted until I renew when my license expires unless I need it for work which is quite unlikely in the veterinary field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom