Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience in Stow was only positive. And that FAQ can't be found except through a search on the website, it isn't actually linked from the PD's webpage. In any case, they weren't written by the Stow PD at all. At the bottom of Page 4 there is the notation: "THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS WERE PROVIDED COMPLIMENTS OF COMMONWEALTH POLICE SERVICES". The current page that deals with firearms licensing is: http://www.stow-ma.gov/Pages/StowMA_Police/firehome

Commonwealth Police Services is the company that Attorney and retired Fall River PD Captain Pat Rogers runs. He writes a number of law text books for police and does some of the legal training at the academies.

While I don't know him personally, I had in-service training with him last year, and given how he reviewed McDonald and argued to the class it should have been the mechanism for overruling he safe storage law, I got the impression he was pro-2A.

Commonwealth Police Services is the company that Attorney and retired Fall River PD Captain Pat Rogers runs. He writes a number of law text books for police and does some of the legal training at the academies.

While I don't know him personally, I had in-service training with him last year, and given how he reviewed McDonald and argued to the class it should have been the mechanism for overruling he safe storage law, I got the impression he was pro-2A.

*shrug* It's possible to be pro-2A and still be mistaken about something. I didn't go for an FID only an LTC-A, so I can't say that what that page says holds or not for Stow.

So far its been 8 weeks and no call from Quincy PD. Just wondering if anyone else has been waiting a long time?

So far its been 8 weeks and no call from Quincy PD. Just wondering if anyone else has been waiting a long time?

I waited 8 weeks for mine to come in in Quincy. You should give them a call just to inquire. Same thing happened to my friend and his license was there already.

i noticed that afghaniraqvet got a class A restricted in cambridge a few months ago:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...own?p=1960162&highlight=cambridge#post1960162

i actually received a class A unrestricted from cambridge a couple of years ago (took about a month or so, don't remember exactly at this point). i don't work in the security industry or deal with large amounts of cash, and i don't have any special connections. i have been a homeowner in cambridge for 12 years, though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

It's been 8 weeks for me too. I called and they said that my LTC-A was approved but they're waiting for the printed cards to arrive. They have about 40 licenses to approve in Quincy right now.

Tewksbury is green, took about 6 weeks to get Unrestricted LTC.

The licensing officer even went as far as to say that they don't issue restricted licenses, just LTC-ALP.

I'm about 3-5 weeks from receiving my Class A Unrestricted in Andover. Since I don't have it yet I obviously can't be 100% sure but the Licensing Officer in Charge assured me that I "was in". I gently asked if there were still interviews with the chief or other hoops to jump through that I needed to prepare for. He just said "no we don't do that anymore. you're good. you're in. no worries".

I was told by many other people who have been given their unrestricted license in Andover and apparently we're being advertised as a red town in most literature but in actuality it's been fairly green for the last couple years. Just wanted to add my experience and will gladly post an update once my status is confirmed. Hope this helps anyone looking for information about Andover.

Anybody have updated information for Rowley with the new chief? I know they were B-ramming before under the old one. Anybody heard of first-timer getting ALP in Rowley recently?

I do own a business, clean record, middle-aged, lived in town for some time.

Any help appreciated. Have been very busy since I joined the forum, so I have not pursued information recently.

Also, curious if they typically give an ALP later after you don't shoot up the town with your Class B?

I'm in no rush, really. But, I am determined. Willing to consider an attorney if that would help.

Thanks,
TLB

Anybody have updated information for Rowley with the new chief?

I used to have friends who carried there but they've long since moved, sorry. I know that being a business owner where you apply (if that's the case) makes it a lot easier due to the need to transport goods/money. As for the lawyer I'm not sure, you have 90 days to appeal any restrictions or denials so maybe a lawyer is overkill unless it comes to that. I'm not a lawyer, this is just the information I've received from others.

hope this helps, good luck!

I know quite a few people from Pittsfield who have gotten ALP on first attempt with an interview with the chief. He also told me that as long as I have no violence in my history, he would issue to me as well, except I moved out of Pittsfield and never applied. I was issued in Adams, and still hold T&H. Blah!

Today, I was told by a very close friend that his son got his "First LTC" from Billerica and was restricted Target and Hunting. Doesn't sound like Billerica is still a green town.

I do believe Billerica issues restricted for all applicants under a certain age. I remember thinking that 50 ft down the road I'd be restricted, but I got my No Restrictions just down the road from the town line. I can't find the thread on here at the moment, but I know I've heard this before. [sad2]

Millville should be RED. My father has held a Class A LTC unrestricted for, hell as long as I can think, he went to renew and got a restricted for no reason other than he put "Hunting and sporting" as the reason for having it.

Millville should be RED. My father has held a Class A LTC unrestricted for, hell as long as I can think, he went to renew and got a restricted for no reason other than he put "Hunting and sporting" as the reason for having it.

Unfortunately, that is how it works. Sometimes "getting what you asked for" is good, but in this case it is bad. A more articulate answer may have avoided this mess.....

I do believe Billerica issues restricted for all applicants under a certain age. I remember thinking that 50 ft down the road I'd be restricted, but I got my No Restrictions just down the road from the town line. I can't find the thread on here at the moment, but I know I've heard this before. [sad2]

Strange, I work with someone with an unrestricted out of Billerica, and he has had it a while and is probably a year out of college.

Unfortunately, that is how it works. Sometimes "getting what you asked for" is good, but in this case it is bad. A more articulate answer may have avoided this mess.....
It's unfortunate. He doesn't seem to care. His highest casualty producing weapon in his home is a Ruger 10/22. What he doesn't get is the principals of it.

That's too bad. I think they got a new Chief within the last few years. One of my friends just got a job over there. I'll have to pick his brain.

That's too bad. I think they got a new Chief within the last few years. One of my friends just got a job over there. I'll have to pick his brain.
Indeed they did. Chief Ryan now works for the FBI I believe. The new chief is from Woonsocket PD. Hell, my father helped build the Millville Police station from what was my Kindergarten/1st Grade. My brother and I helped with the roof. The only name left on that force that I know is a guy I was in Boy Scouts with. Crying shame it is.

Self inflicted injury.

Putting in "Hunting And Target" willingly on the form, is a guaranteed way to not get what you want. Unless you are lucky enough to live in a Bright-Green town where the LO will tell you how stupid you are for suggesting it, and that they only issue unrestricted licenses. [laugh]

(Turbo edit- I realized he wrote Millville and not Milton)

-Mike

methuen= dropped off ltc app on 10/19. licensing officer called on 10/21 to schedule an appointment. appointment scheduled for 11/8 (she wanted to schedule it for 10/24 but my work sched didn't allow for that-it seems they do licensing interviews 1 day per week).

edit:update= interview consisted of the LO entering my info into the computer, taking a picture and prints and being told 4-6 weeks for license to come in. no questions were asked of me. one thing that stuck out to me was the fact that i left my ss# off the application because it said it was optional. i was told to fill that in, it was required. i was in and out in about 30 minutes.

i will update as the process plays out.

Last edited:
Natick Green.............Filled out application and all the proper copies of paperwork required and went in for the interview (lasted 35mins which included taking fingerprints and picture) and got my LTC-A no restrictions. I got the license 3 weeks later.

I think it's time to change Natick to Green. The last few posts over the last year have all been positive. [banana]
Agreed. A friend of mine who lives in Natick told me that during his renewal interview that the licensing officer said he would remove the restrictions on his LTC without being prompted.

And yes, that is worth a celebration [cheers]

I live in Rowley, and as a first time applicant I had no trouble at all getting a class A license (apart from one of my personal reference being away for the summer and having to to re-submit). I took the safety course at MFS and was told about Rowley being a "black town", I has pretty much resigned to only being issues a class B, when to my surprise they issued me the class A LTC I applied for with zero hassle. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or if was because included a copy of my MFS certificate with my app...or maybe I just caught them on a good day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom