Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salem has been black, so did you have some hi-caps before you moved in, an A before you moved in, or just got an A because you asked?

Just called up, made the apointment for Oct. 16
Sat down and did the app online with the Lt. for LTC-A ALP
He said Salem does not give ALP out unless it was for work or I was a buisness owner so it will be restriecte to Target and Sporting (license says Target and Hunting)
Did the picture, finger scan, and paper prints since it was my first time
Done. No letters needed. No prayers or begging.
4 weeks to the day got the call to come and pick it up.

So beyond the fact you cant get an ALP here, the process is straight forward and pain free for everybody.

Just called up, made the apointment for Oct. 16
Sat down and did the app online with the Lt. for LTC-A ALP
He said Salem does not give ALP out unless it was for work or I was a buisness owner so it will be restriecte to Target and Sporting (license says Target and Hunting)
Did the picture, finger scan, and paper prints since it was my first time
Done. No letters needed. No prayers or begging.
4 weeks to the day got the call to come and pick it up.

So beyond the fact you cant get an ALP here, the process is straight forward and pain free for everybody.

Go figure. Salem is now red it appears... Thanks.

No one has changed North Reading to green............

According to what you posted it would never qualify as green, maybe yellow at best. If the PD is obstructionist or tries to cajole the applicant into accepting a lower/restricted permit, they certainly aren't green.

-Mike

Anyone with a recent Danvers LTC?

I live in Danvers MA and just recently submitted my LTC-A application two weeks ago. I got a call back from the detective who oversees the firearms applications and he said the Chief would not give me a LTC-A but would approve a LTC-B. Granted I don't have a lot of recent experience with firearms I have shot with friends and family members previously when I was younger. The Detective said that LTC-A are usually only granted to people with a military background or others with a lot more experience.

I took my firearms safety course at the beginning of last month and am looking to join a local Rod & Gun club. Main intention for the firearms license is range shooting, home defense, and occasional carry. I do have my own business on the side with clients in locations where I wouldn't mind carrying when delivering and installing high price electronics equipment alone.

Just curious on anyone who has had any experience in working with the Danvers PD.

Thanks.

Was issued a LTC-A without restrictions

Last edited:
The Detective said that LTC-A are usually only granted to people with a military background or others with a lot more experience.

Gotta love this. 90% of the military never sees a firearm after basic and these guys will offer up an unrestricted to them. Watertown asked me the same thing. WTF is going through these people's minds??? This is what happens when you let bias, conjecture and a hollywood understanding of firearms set firearms policy.

I live in Danvers MA and just recently submitted my LTC-A application two weeks ago. I got a call back from the detective who oversees the firearms applications and he said the Chief would not give me a LTC-A but would approve a LTC-B. Granted I don't have a lot of recent experience with firearms I have shot with friends and family members previously when I was younger. The Detective said that LTC-A are usually only granted to people with a military background or others with a lot more experience.

I took my firearms safety course at the beginning of last month and am looking to join a local Rod & Gun club. Main intention for the firearms license is range shooting, home defense, and occasional carry. I do have my own business on the side with clients in locations where I wouldn't mind carrying when delivering and installing high price electronics equipment alone.

Just curious on anyone who has had any experience in working with the Danvers PD.

Thanks.

You should have stated that you have a job that involves carrying expensive equipment, cash, etc on your original application and made a push for LTC-A ALP.

If he is going to only approve an LTC-B, I would say "no thanks, dont process my application" and get it all back, and then hire a firearms attorney and start over and see what happens.

According to what you posted it would never qualify as green, maybe yellow at best. If the PD is obstructionist or tries to cajole the applicant into accepting a lower/restricted permit, they certainly aren't green.

-Mike

Bold Green usually Issue "Class A" "All Lawful Purposes"

Despite pushing for lower licenses, they still "usually issues "Class A" All Lawful Purposes".

Out of all the gun owners I know in town, which is well over a dozen, they all have LTCA unrestricted licenses. The new firearms officer is a very competent individual, I don't foresee any issues for future applicants.

Bold Green usually Issue "Class A" "All Lawful Purposes"

Despite pushing for lower licenses, they still "usually issues "Class A" All Lawful Purposes".

Out of all the gun owners I know in town, which is well over a dozen, they all have LTCA unrestricted licenses. The new firearms officer is a very competent individual, I don't foresee any issues for future applicants.

he is just trying to trap people who dont know any better, that is all[angry]

zzrider, there is a sticky in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum with tips on how to apply for a LTC to maximize your chance to get LTC-A/ALP. It's a lot of reading, but worth it.

Good luck!

Lowell is still red. Det. Peace is pleasant and nice to deal with, and the only extra you need to bring along aside from the standard $$$ and driver's license, is a birth certificate. The F25/26 is filled out on computer while you're there.

39days wait and my husband & I received our LTC-A - Sporting.

Unfortunately, it is the stated policy of the Lowell CoP to not issue any LTC-A Restrictions: none. You can choose Target & Hunting or Sporting.

Last edited:
Ashby is green. LTC-A no restrictions. I have a squeeky clean record YMMV.

There were some hoops to jump thru. The chief wanted to see 3 letters of reference and a letter stating why you wanted it. The officer that took my app (wish I could remember his name) was great to deal with very easy going and professional. Took 4 weeks and 2 days to come in. Good experience overall.

Chris

Ashby is green. LTC-A no restrictions. I have a squeeky clean record YMMV.

There were some hoops to jump thru. The chief wanted to see 3 letters of reference and a letter stating why you wanted it. The officer that took my app (wish I could remember his name) was great to deal with very easy going and professional. Took 4 weeks and 2 days to come in. Good experience overall.

Chris
Congratulations on ALP. Unfortunately I would consider ashby a light mint green because of those extra requiremments as opposed to thE nice dark pine green that every town should be

New Bedford

New Bedford should definitely be RED.They will issue Class A but will restrict it with "Hunting and Targeting". I didn't even think it was legal to hunt with a handgun.

New Bedford should definitely be RED.They will issue Class A but will restrict it with "Hunting and Targeting". I didn't even think it was legal to hunt with a handgun.

Hunting deer with a handgun is illegal in Mass. I'm pretty sure squirrel, crows, rabbit, maybe other stuff is OK. I am not really sure on bear, but sort of doubt it.

I am not really sure on bear, but sort of doubt it.
Incorrect.
During the September period of the open season, black bears may be hunted by the following means: (1) a centerfire rifle .23 caliber or larger; (2) a muzzle-loading firearm, .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile, (3) a .357 Magnum revolver using .357 Magnum cartridges, or a revolver .40 caliber or larger; or (4) a bow and arrows, 40 lbs. at 28" draw or at peak draw for compound bows, using well-sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8 in. width.

During the November period of the open season, black bears may be hunted by the following means: (1) a centerfire rifle .23 caliber or larger; (2) a muzzle-loading firearm, .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile, or (3) a bow and arrows, 40 lbs. at 28" draw or at peak draw for compound bows, using well-sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8 in. width.
Interesting that you can't use the revolver in the later season. Wonder why that is?

Bunny wabbit you can take with a handgun (Sorry, Dave!), as well as fox, coyote & bobcat.
Cottontail rabbit, snowshoe hare, and black-tailed jackrabbit may be hunted with rifle, shotgun (shot not larger than #1), handgun, or archery except:

(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant or quail season, only shotgun and archery may be used;

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle.

More information on hunting in general and with handguns in particular.

If i havent posted

I got my initial LTC-A as an out-of state without a problem from the MA statae police. Was actually a pleasure to deal with those guys

Tewksbury was ALSO a pleasure to deal with, very helpful, called me back, etc

Amesbury i'm going through the process with my wife but the gentleman i have spoken with (Sgt Fournier,Ret) has been so nice and helpful as well, and when i explained i needed my wife to get an "ALP" lic without restrictions so she could get her NH out of state he said "Will not be a problem". Tewksbury i filled out the form and it was issued, amesbury there is a form and a small supplement (write a letter which describes "Why do you need' which we put "all lawful purposes").

Other than that, they have been great!

Winchendon Sgt. will not issue.
Royalston Ofc. will issue.

yeah winchendon makes zero sense because if you move to Winchendon and ahve ALP, they will renew your permit with ALP, but they wont issue or upgrade people to ALP. That takes a special level of dumbassery to make a logical argument for that situation [thinking]

Natick

Coworker just reported his LTC was issued with an "employment" restriction. They told him his age (25) and the fact that he was requesting it during the holiday season was reason for the restriction. The fact that he has a clean record, carries for work, and is a vet made no difference.

Natick

Coworker just reported his LTC was issued with an "employment" restriction. They told him his age (25) and the fact that he was requesting it during the holiday season was reason for the restriction. The fact that he has a clean record, carries for work, and is a vet made no difference.

well, its official, the licensing officer of natick doesn't even have two brain cells rubbing together in his head. That is pathetic.

Another green vote for [...]. I had written out a long-ish explanation justifying my request for "restrictions: none," but the officer just kind of laughed, asked "did you seriously consult a lawyer for this?" I said yes, because I wanted to avoid any liability due to a misinterpreted restriction.

He agreed, said the restrictions ARE confusing and that he frequently needs to review the laws, and then replaced my reasons for issuance paragraph with "All lawful purposes," saying that there's no reason for him to issue a restriction unless the applicant specifically gives him a reason to do so.

Should be good to go...will update when I receive the LTC.

Last edited:
Natick

Holiday season???? The only thing they could be concerned with their is suicides and they just handed him the f'n gun!!![rolleyes]

It's strange that the sleepy little town of Natick is so bad about issuing licenses when, right next door, the almost-urban town of Framingham is so good about issuing.

I know two people who got their LTCs-ALP in Framingham without any problem at all. The first one already renewed, and there were no problems with the renewal. The second person is a new shooter who just applied a few months ago and got the license without any trouble. Again, both are LTC Class-A, Unrestricted.

So Framingham's still green.

It's strange that the sleepy little town of Natick is so bad about issuing licenses when, right next door, the almost-urban town of Framingham is so good about issuing.
I know two people who obtained LTC-A/ALP from the current Natick chief without difficulty. One moved out of Natick years ago (when the chief was new on the job), and the other remains in Natick and continues to renew LTC-A/Restrictions:none without any difficulty.

The Framingham chief has apparently figured out the obvious - the LTC holders are not the problem in his town.

Last edited:
I know two people who obtained LTC-A/ALP from the current Natick chief without difficulty. One moved out of Natick years ago (when the chief was new on the job), and the other remains in Natick and continues to renew LTC-A/Restrictions:none without any difficulty.

does the COP issue based on personal appearance then!? something is up there if there is such a discrepancy.

does the COP issue based on personal appearance then!? something is up there if there is such a discrepancy.

I interview new applicants at our club, so I've spoke with a number of folks from Natick recently. Some get unrestricted LTC-As without any problems. Some are told that Natick does not issue unrestricted licenses. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom