Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told (2nd hand from a family member) that the Woburn PD is will not accept renewal applications more than 90 days before the existing license expires.

Why dont the chiefs get together on thier own and come to some sort of agreement on the restrictions this is all the same state you would think that they would mean the same think in every town not even that you would think the state would want them to mean the same think all a cross the state . This in its self is going to cause some problems

well that is just sad. When they go around collecting money for the chiefs of police they are all speaking the same toon then

Not really, it is my understanding that probably no more than 1/2 the chiefs in MA belong to MCOPA. Any money they collect just benefits the org, it certainly doesn't benefit any given PD!

I have no use for MCOPA and neither does my chief (he doesn't belong and told me so some years ago) . . . they are nothing but the Brady Gang with scrambled eggs!

But really you would think they would have a uniform set of restrictions that was mandated buy the state to go buy no would that not make sence . And I have not made a donation since I closed up my buisness but my point was they called me the same day and all most the same time every year for like 12 years so if we put some money up may be we can get them to agree on the restrictions as you pointed out at least 1/2 of them belong thats better than what we have now

But really you would think they would have a uniform set of restrictions that was mandated buy the state to go buy no would that not make sence . And I have not made a donation since I closed up my buisness but my point was they called me the same day and all most the same time every year for like 12 years so if we put some money up may be we can get them to agree on the restrictions as you pointed out at least 1/2 of them belong thats better than what we have now

While I guess you could see infringing on fundamental right in an orderly fashion instead of disorderly as an improvement, why not focus on ending the infringement instead?

Anyone have any recent information on Plainville, MA? I have taken my safety classes and received my two certificates (one from NRA, one from Mass State Police) back in July but haven't had the 'drive' to apply for my LTC A as a result of multiple reports that it is a red town and only issues restrictions.

Thanks for the help!

Revere is red. They claim that they restrict everyone to target and may give unrestricted at renewal in 6 years.

That being said it took me 6 months with a spotless record to get the restricted LTC

Doesn't Billerica require multiple letters of reference? Or have the done away with that and are now green?

Thanks.

Green/yellow/red doesnt have to do with the requirements put forth to get the permit. It only has to do with what the actual restriction field says when people get their permit. They could ask for you to wear clown shoes when dropping off the application, but if they routinely issues ALP/None, then they are green.

True, Many, many 'green' towns are legendary for abusing their authority and infringing upon people's rights.

I guess i have a hard time considering that "green."

I do understand it for the purposes of this thread.

Maybe Billerica is "green*"
With the * being that they require extra-statutory items.

I guess i have a hard time considering that "green."

I do understand it for the purposes of this thread.

Maybe Billerica is "green*"
With the * being that they require extra-statutory items.

...well, the definitions for this thread are in post 1. They qualify, like it or not lol

- - - Updated - - -

True, Many, many 'green' towns are legendary for abusing their authority and infringing upon people's rights.

yup! My town asks for letters, but issues ALP as standard.

New to the board and also new to guns. I applied for my LTC ALP in Somerset MA.

I took the class on 9/8/12! then headed to the Somerset PD and requested the application. I called the PD the next day (Sunday) and requested an appointment with the interviewing LO. I was told they had a spot on Tuesday 9/11/12. Let me tell you, the LO Sgt Borges was great. The interview was very friendly yet conducted thoroughly. I was told he'd call me as soon as the LTC arrived, but that lately he's seen 6-8 weeks turn around time by the MSP. Didn't require any letters of reference or letter of intent. Still haven't heard anything, but called this weekend and told to sit tight that 6-8 weeks was the normal time.

My cousin applied earlier in the year in Fall River, and needed 2 letters of reference and he had to write a letter of intent to the Chief of Police. He received his LTC ALP with NO restrictions 9 weeks later.

Hey everyone. Just dropped off paperwork and check today in Hudson. Will report as to length of process and any restrictions, complications, etc.

Ultimately decided not to apply in Plainville, MA. Not worth throwing away $100+ for a license that will indefinitely be restricted.

Ultimately decided not to apply in Plainville, MA. Not worth throwing away $100+ for a license that will indefinitely be restricted.

Then the town's evil policies are working as designed.

You realize that you can't legally *own* guns without the license, right? It seems silly to me to decide, 'since they infringe on my rights, I'm not going to exercise them at all'.

I was thinking the same thing. Is it worth getting a restricted to be able to own and shoot firearms? I think so, even if you can't carry.

Then the town's evil policies are working as designed.

You realize that you can't legally *own* guns without the license, right? It seems silly to me to decide, 'since they infringe on my rights, I'm not going to exercise them at all'.

I wouldn't say they're evil policies, but they are inconvenient. It cannot be changed and hasn't been, from my research, any different in years past.

I liken it to this: You wait outside of a retailer for 8 hours on black Friday for an Xbox 360 you have your heart set on..when you finally get to the front of the line, the store employee says "Sorry, we ran out of Xbox's but we do have PS3's for the same price". Are you going to buy that console even though it's not the one you wanted nor anticipated getting? No. For the amount that I would be spending to get the license (upwards of $100) I would want to make sure that the money I'm spending goes towards something that I want. Not a fraction of what I want. And that is the circumstance in this particular case.

I also have my age on my side. Soon enough I'll be getting my own place so maybe for the time being holding off would be in my best interest should I move to a green town if I purchase a house/condo.

I wouldn't say they're evil policies, but they are inconvenient. It cannot be changed and hasn't been, from my research, any different in years past.

I liken it to this: You wait outside of a retailer for 8 hours on black Friday for an Xbox 360 you have your heart set on..when you finally get to the front of the line, the store employee says "Sorry, we ran out of Xbox's but we do have PS3's for the same price". Are you going to buy that console even though it's not the one you wanted nor anticipated getting? No. For the amount that I would be spending to get the license (upwards of $100) I would want to make sure that the money I'm spending goes towards something that I want. Not a fraction of what I want. And that is the circumstance in this particular case.

I also have my age on my side. Soon enough I'll be getting my own place so maybe for the time being holding off would be in my best interest should I move to a green town if I purchase a house/condo.

Denying people their fundamental right to self defense is a hell of a lot worse than inconvenient.

In your Xbox scenario, would you give up playing video games entirely if you couldn't get a 360?

The XBOX example is a bad one. By your comparison, you would be waiting in line for a license to carry firearms and when you got to the front of the line they told you they are only going to issue you a fishing license.
Or to make the xbox example fit, you get to the front of the line and they tell you they will sell you an xbox, but you can only play the single player games and can't play online.
Plus, you never know if they are truly going to restrict you until they do.

I don't think that analogy is a bad one at all. Anywho, in my situation holding off until I possibly move to a greener town seems to be the best route at this moment.

If I lived in a restricted town, I would still exercise what I could. Keeping our numbers up will only help us. The more people that deserve carry that do not get it, will have a better chance at fighting for it.

Just received my LTC-A Unrestricted from Yarmouth. 9 Weeks.

3 Letters of Reference and the records department fills out the application for you. ALP was automatically filled in for Reason, but was forced to give another anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom