Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haverhill is a definately green as everyone knows but I wanted to give everyone the timeline to expect. My wife's and my LTC As are in.....7 weeks exactly from apointment to getting the call from the PD. Now..........shopping for the first pistol......we have settled on the ruger sp101......357 magnum 3 1/16 inch barrell. This way the wife shoots .38 and I get to hammer away with .357 mag! And it can be carried well enough and used at the range. That is the thought anyway......the ruger sp101 seems like the best all around first gun!

Got LTC in mail today ( first time app ) Class A, restrictions- none. Im in Danvers.

Dropped off paper app - May 21.

Got call back - May 24 ish.

Interview - July 10 . In and out in 15 min.

Check cashed by town - Aug 20.

LTC in hand - Sept 18.

71 days from interview, 121 days from dropping off app at p.d.

Requiring you to purchase service from a specific company prior to exercising a fundamental right is 'not too bad'? How far we've fallen.

Real far. In the next town over, East Longmeadow, they will not issue a no restrictions unless you own a business.

Ps...cost $30 to start a business in East Longmeadow.

Got LTC in mail today ( first time app ) Class A, restrictions- none. Im in Danvers.

LTC in hand - Sept 18.

Thanks for the info. I'm hopping to see more green stories going forward.

I just read my this months copy of the GOAL newsletter and they sent a letter to Martha to start an investigation on this issue.

I would suggest anyone having trouble getting your LTC/FID to contact GOAL so they can add you to their list.

Hears the link:

http://www.goal.org/

Last edited:

LTC in hand - Sept 18.

Renewed my LTC in Danvers. web sight suggested to turn in renewel application 60 day's before current LTC expired....did so and several days later they call for prints and picture and 15 days later I had my new LTC....Simple enough no more difficult that the last time I applied...........never had an issue with Danvers PD in the 40 years I have lived in town...

Last edited:
From MA DCJIS:

Current Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) License Processing Time

As of August 29, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between August 17th - August 20th

Applied in Wilbraham on July 30. Application entered at that time. It was a very nice experience.
Still waiting for the call ..... as of today 8 Weeks passing by

Last edited:
Brand new to the Forum. Going to do my safety course this week.
Here is my question:
I only want my LTC to fire at a range or join a club. I have no interest in hunting or actually owning a gun. Should I still apply for the LTC-A?
I live in what sounds like a pretty green place, Marlborough.

Here is my question:
I only want my LTC to fire at a range or join a club. I have no interest in hunting or actually owning a gun. Should I still apply for the LTC-A?

Heymoe, plain and simple answer. Since you will pay $100 for any license or FID then you should get the most bang for your buck. Apply for an "unrestricted" LTC-A.

Don't tell them that you won't have a gun at home and don't tell them that you will only shoot targets or you might get what you ask for. Down the road you may want to use your LTC for other purposes and with the unrestricted license you'll be golden.

Here is my question:

You dont need a LTC to rent guns and shoot at a range. With that said if you apply for anything other than unrestriced LTC-A in a green town your out of your mind

Here is my question:

Why get an LTC if you dont want to buy a gun? You dont need a license in MA to shoot. Just go shooting with a friend who is licensed and owns guns.

By all means, though, if you think some day you want to own a gun, get an LTC. Go for unrestricted LTC. Restricted LTC's are silly, and no sense making the LO justify the public wanting these.

Here is my question:
Trust me, go for your LTC-A and don't tell them you only want to target shoot (ie. dont ask for restrictions). I am willing to bet that if you get your LTC and its a "B" or restricted, you will find a day that you want to actually buy a gun and will be pissed that you have the wrong license.

I wanted to inform the members and moderators of Northeastshooters.com that, the Town of Dighton which is currently noted as a Blue Town due to no member feedback should be listed as a Green Town. My LTC Class A with no restrictions was issued 12 weeks from initial appointment which can be scheduled via phone or email to the licensing officer or resident can walk in. The licensing officer informed me that the Dighton Police Chief, Robert Macdonald, only gets involved in the application process when having to reject an applicant which reportedly is "not common". The licensing officer indicated "99%" of the LTC Class A applications are granted in Dighton!

Last edited:
From MA DCJIS:

Current Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) License Processing Time

As of August 29, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between August 17th - August 20th

Applied in Wilbraham on July 30. Application entered at that time. It was a very nice experience.
Still waiting for the call ..... as of today 8 Weeks passing by

Guess what ... 8 Weeks and two days passed by and I just received a call from WPD - my LTC is here !!!!!! I am going to get my SIG today ! Friday going to the range :)

I live in Haverhill and I am taking the safety course October 6th. Can I put in for an appointment now or do I have to have certificate in hand before I make it?

I live in Haverhill and I am taking the safety course October 6th. Can I put in for an appointment now or do I have to have certificate in hand before I make it?
You have to have the cert in hand while supplying the application to the PD. If you have to wait for the appointment than make it now. In Wilbraham it was just walk in - no appointments (at least in July)

Applied for my New Hampshire non-resident permit. Sent application and check on 9/12/12 received it today. No restrictions.

Umm, there are NO restrictions possible on a NH permit. The ONLY thing it is good for is CONCEALED CARRY! And it is Must Issue (unless you have a legal DQ), so no surprises here.

Nowhere else is like MA, so think outside the prison cell when applying elsewhere. [wink]

Has anyone received, or even requested, the definition of restrictions in Chicopee, MA? I asked for a written definition a couple months ago and got nothing. Can someone else ask CPD for the definition in black and white, it seems they no longer respond to me?

I don't need the definition provided by another town/city as it is irrelevant. Need it directly from Chicopee PD in writting.

Got the call today! I just came back from the PD.

Class A, No restrictions!!!

7 weeks to the day. No hassle, no interview with the Chief. Very pleasant experience. I wish would be the same for everyone in here and around the state.

My town is definitely GREEN! (Medfield).

Thanks Rich, I owe you a beer...:)

Ok cool.

I'm pretty sure I have to set up an appointment. I may call just to ask.

Haverhill......just call and make an apointment. When I called back in June I got my apointment for three days after I called them. Have your ap filled out manually because it will make things faster when the officer enters teh info into the system. I ahd my LTCA 7 weeks after the apointment. Haverhill is very green.

Haverhill......just call and make an apointment. When I called back in June I got my apointment for three days after I called them. Have your ap filled out manually because it will make things faster when the officer enters teh info into the system. I ahd my LTCA 7 weeks after the apointment. Haverhill is very green.

I called on Thursday towards the end of the shift and he picked right up. I asked if I needed the certificate in hand to make the appt, and I think he misunderstood me so I wasn't going to pry.

He was very helpful in discussing the process and seemed he will be easy to deal with.

I highly doubt you'll ever get written explanations from Chicopee. Insisting they provide you with them is likely to work to your detriment.

I stopped all contact with the CPD months ago. Just going to have to focus time and $ on the hill at this point. Seems like any contact leads to detriment at this point. Thanks Jesse, any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

Has anyone received, or even requested, the definition of restrictions in Chicopee, MA? I asked for a written definition a couple months ago and got nothing. Can someone else ask CPD for the definition in black and white, it seems they no longer respond to me?

I don't need the definition provided by another town/city as it is irrelevant. Need it directly from Chicopee PD in writting.

You realize the Restrictions are Standard right? They don't change from town to town. The only thing with a gray area is the "OTHER" Restriction. Which can be friggen anything.

This is from the MSP Website:

NONE – the LTC is issued for all lawful purposes with no restrictions. Applicant must show good reason to fear
injury to his person or property.

EMPLOYMENT – restricts possession to business owner engaged in business activities or to an employee while
engaged in work related activities, and maintaining proficiency, where the employer requires carry of a firearm
(i.e. armored car, security guard, etc.). Includes travel to and from activity location.

TARGET & HUNTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for
use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; and for the purpose of
collecting (other than machine guns). Includes travel to and from activity location

SPORTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the
lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other
than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or
similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location.

NO CARRY OUTSIDE RESTRICTION – allows possession of a firearm in MA provided the firearm is unloaded
and locked in a container; licensee may possess and use firearm during restricted activity (employment, target,
hunting, sporting) and during travel to and from activity location.

You realize the Restrictions are Standard right? They don't change from town to town. The only thing with a gray area is the "OTHER" Restriction. Which can be friggen anything.

Sorry, but you are naive if you believe this. They are merely SUGGESTIONS by EOPS in attempt to standardize. However, every chief is legally able to REDEFINE any of these terms as well as pick "Other" and add anything they want to the restrictions.

ETA: EOPS does not have law-making powers to Mandate any definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom