• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guidance needed on rifle and firearm magazine storage.

runner328

NES Member
Like many folks who shoot at the range, you may have a half dozen or more extra mags for your rifles and firearms. Does Massachusetts state law require that extra unloaded/empty magazines be stored in a safe or locked container in the home and in a vehicle? I did a search but wasn't able to find an answer on this. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this forum.

Like many folks who shoot at the range, you may have a half dozen or more extra mags for your rifles and firearms. Does Massachusetts state law require that extra unloaded/empty magazines be stored in a safe or locked container in the home and in a vehicle? I did a search but wasn't able to find an answer on this. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this forum.

No. There is no requirement to lock up empty magazines. The statute for transporting firearms in a vehicle is here:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

As you can see, there is no mention of magazines in that statute.

- - - Updated - - -

Massprudence says it would be proactive in keeping you from getting jammed up.

I think it is wise to keep them out of site when transporting them in your car. But I haven't ever bothered with locking them up while doing so and don't see any justification for suggesting that someone should do so.

It's because there is no answer because there are no special storage requirements for things like magazines.

The one caveat to this of course is if you have a bunch of large cap mags, if you leave them floating around in your car or whatever, and an unwashed (unlicensed) person drives the car around without you being there... they're basically driving a big felony trap. So keep that in mind...

-Mike

It's because there is no answer because there are no special storage requirements for things like magazines.

The one caveat to this of course is if you have a bunch of large cap mags, if you leave them floating around in your car or whatever, and an unwashed (unlicensed) person drives the car around without you being there... they're basically driving a big felony trap. So keep that in mind...

-Mike

Thanks, I feel better knowing that I can leave the empty mags in my field bag (in the locked trunk) when going to the range or at home unlocked without breaking the law.

There's a 0.0000001 percent chance anyone can go into your safe and check legally anyways really wouldnt sweat it that much. Loaded unloaded in pieces there's 0 reason for them to go in

What's the actual law on loaded magazines at home? Separate safe from guns, ok in the safe next to the gun, or IN the gun locked in the safe?

The law is silent, as far as I'm concerned. There aren't any special conditions related to where mags are, etc. The unwashed thing can be a problem but that isn't any different than any other controlled item.

-Mike

So if my handgun/ar/whatever were hypothetically locked and loaded in my safe... And yeah, I get that if it was an issue I'd already be in a world of hurt anyway but knowledge is power:)

Once again, there is none. Read the statute here: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

Where does it say anything about loaded? Where does it say anything about magazines? It doesn't. That means you can do whatever the heck you want with respect to loaded/unloaded, magazines, etc.

Last edited:

-Mike

To expand on that . . . nobody unlicensed can have access to them at home either, so unless all occupants are licensed, they should be locked up to prevent a possible felony trap.

This.
Most NESers know the Mass laws better than the average cop. The cop will think that since ammo is so tightly controlled those "high capacity clips" are too.

Very true.

What's the actual law on loaded magazines at home? Separate safe from guns, ok in the safe next to the gun, or IN the gun locked in the safe?

In a locked container at home the guns can be loaded. NO requirement for storing any ammo separately from where guns are in the home, in the car, etc. For the car it is prudent to either have a handgun on you or unloaded and locked up (hasn't been adjudicated TTBOMK but it is a gray area). Long guns in a MV always have to be unloaded (anti-hunting law).

The law is silent, as far as I'm concerned. There aren't any special conditions related to where mags are, etc. The unwashed thing can be a problem but that isn't any different than any other controlled item. Like stated above!

-Mike

I was under the impression that if you had high capacity mags, you should keep them locked, less some family member get dinged for not having a Class A license when you are not home. Like already stated.

In any event, it is those evil "CLIPS" that the politicians fear the most!

Yahbut

The law is silent, as far as I'm concerned. There aren't any special conditions related to where mags are, etc. ...
In a locked container at home the guns can be loaded. NO requirement for storing any ammo separately from where guns are in the home, in the car, etc. ...

Sure, sure; except that Radtekk asked about loaded magazines, and there is law on that.

527 CMR 13.04
(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit​
(e) ... small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

So unless you're confident that you can hypmotize Fire Marshall Bill that ammo in a mag is "in use", you can't strew loaded mags all over the house.

OTOH, unless the loaded mags in the safe are sitting inside cardboard ammo boxes, if Bill raids your domicile, you've still got your work cut out for you.

This may help:
Hynotize-clock.gif
P. S. Great to meet you at the last club meeting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom