1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Guidance needed on rifle and firearm magazine storage.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by runner328, Jan 27, 2016.

1. runner328

runner328 NES Member

Like many folks who shoot at the range, you may have a half dozen or more extra mags for your rifles and firearms. Does Massachusetts state law require that extra unloaded/empty magazines be stored in a safe or locked container in the home and in a vehicle? I did a search but wasn't able to find an answer on this. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this forum.

2. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Massprudence says it would be proactive in keeping you from getting jammed up.

3. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

No. There is no requirement to lock up empty magazines. The statute for transporting firearms in a vehicle is here:
    https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

As you can see, there is no mention of magazines in that statute.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is wise to keep them out of site when transporting them in your car. But I haven't ever bothered with locking them up while doing so and don't see any justification for suggesting that someone should do so.

4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It's because there is no answer because there are no special storage requirements for things like magazines.

The one caveat to this of course is if you have a bunch of large cap mags, if you leave them floating around in your car or whatever, and an unwashed (unlicensed) person drives the car around without you being there... they're basically driving a big felony trap. So keep that in mind...

-Mike

5. Beardy 508

Beardy 508

Posted to wrong thread

6. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

This.
    Most NESers know the Mass laws better than the average cop. The cop will think that since ammo is so tightly controlled those "high capacity clips" are too.

7. runner328

runner328 NES Member

Thanks, I feel better knowing that I can leave the empty mags in my field bag (in the locked trunk) when going to the range or at home unlocked without breaking the law.

8. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Just note Drgrant's warning about large-caps and unlicensed persons - you need a license for mags >10 rounds. [puke]

9. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

What's the actual law on loaded magazines at home? Separate safe from guns, ok in the safe next to the gun, or IN the gun locked in the safe?

10. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

There's a 0.0000001 percent chance anyone can go into your safe and check legally anyways really wouldnt sweat it that much. Loaded unloaded in pieces there's 0 reason for them to go in

11. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

The law is silent, as far as I'm concerned. There aren't any special conditions related to where mags are, etc. The unwashed thing can be a problem but that isn't any different than any other controlled item.

-Mike

12. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

So if my handgun/ar/whatever were hypothetically locked and loaded in my safe... And yeah, I get that if it was an issue I'd already be in a world of hurt anyway but knowledge is power:)

13. M1911

There is none. You have to lock up your gun, period.

14. Mudfish

Mudfish

What is an empty mag? Mine stay loaded and locked up with the gun they go to.

15. M1911

Once again, there is none. Read the statute here: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

Where does it say anything about loaded? Where does it say anything about magazines? It doesn't. That means you can do whatever the heck you want with respect to loaded/unloaded, magazines, etc.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  16. TayNinh_66

TayNinh_66

What's an unloaded magazine?

17. familyman15

familyman15

The ones you switch out with full ones at the range

1 person likes this.
  18. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

19. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

To expand on that . . . nobody unlicensed can have access to them at home either, so unless all occupants are licensed, they should be locked up to prevent a possible felony trap.

Very true.

In a locked container at home the guns can be loaded. NO requirement for storing any ammo separately from where guns are in the home, in the car, etc. For the car it is prudent to either have a handgun on you or unloaded and locked up (hasn't been adjudicated TTBOMK but it is a gray area). Long guns in a MV always have to be unloaded (anti-hunting law).

20. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I was under the impression that if you had high capacity mags, you should keep them locked, less some family member get dinged for not having a Class A license when you are not home. Like already stated.

In any event, it is those evil "CLIPS" that the politicians fear the most!

21. AHM

AHM NES Member

Yahbut

Sure, sure; except that Radtekk asked about loaded magazines, and there is law on that.

So unless you're confident that you can hypmotize Fire Marshall Bill that ammo in a mag is "in use", you can't strew loaded mags all over the house.

OTOH, unless the loaded mags in the safe are sitting inside cardboard ammo boxes, if Bill raids your domicile, you've still got your work cut out for you.

This may help:
    [​IMG]
    P. S. Great to meet you at the last club meeting.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016