• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Green member STOLE MY MONEY! Beware of 4406packman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
why did the neg rep thing go away? My sports talk forum used to have a “Dislike” option but they got wicked PC and got rid of it, did NES do the same when they got out of the Neg rep thing lol

It was just one feature of a completely different software system.

You used to have to write a little note every single time you gave anybody likes (they were called "rep points" back then) and that made sure only REALLY good posters got super-high rep. If you see guys occasionally chiming in these days with a 2008 join date, around a thousand posts, and only like 304 likes, it's because they haven't been as active since the software upgrade. Those 304 likes were a big achievement once upon a time.

They kept track of the rep using little green dots under the poster's username. Now, it's so easy to mash the "like" button that people do it without thinking much. The new way's not bad, just different.

You used to have to write a little note every single time you gave anybody likes (they were called "rep points" back then) and that made sure only REALLY good posters got super-high rep. If you see guys occasionally chiming in these days with a 2008 join date, around a thousand posts, and only like 304 likes, it's because they haven't been as active since the software upgrade. Those 304 likes were a big achievement once upon a time.

They kept track of the rep using little green dots under the poster's username. Now, it's so easy to mash the "like" button that people do it without thinking much. The new way's not bad, just different.
I'll add that sarcasm was harder to post and survive!

I was just joking around, I figured it was a software thing. I remember neg option but not the friggen writing an incident report to give someone a like, that’s pretty crazy. Old school I guess…

I was just joking around, I figured it was a software thing. I remember neg option but not the friggen writing an incident report to give someone a like, that’s pretty crazy. Old school I guess…

Yeah, and back then, not all rep was created equal. One time a guy repped one of my posts and it counted for like six rep points. Most people could only give one. I assumed negs worked the same way, but they canceled out positive reps and I was always careful about giving them out. I think I only did it like twice. You had to write a note for those, too.

This way's simpler, which has to be better for the tech weenies.

You young'uns and your fancy celly phone tippytalk postings...back in the day we had to use one of these beauties to post. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow. After shoveling a quarter ton of coal...

View attachment 509594

Pffft…..

Back in my day we had to sort out the electrons to make the individual hexadecimal letters if we wanted to post something.

Bob

Do we need a NES Intervention Party at his address?

Almost what we had to do to Winter for the Group Buy Fiasco he caused.

Malodave

Forget about that timeline crap. Here's one simple phrase to filter the Boomers from the Gen-Xers:

Blowing a tranny.

If your first thought was automobile oriented, your a Boomer.
On the other hand, if your first thought was,
"A penguin walks into a bar..."...

You young'uns and your fancy celly phone tippytalk postings...back in the day we had to use one of these beauties to post.
View => Text Encoding => Baudot

What beach do you retire to when you scam someone out of $200?
R-1112091-1193144025.jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom