• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gov. Janet Mills’ administration closes Kittery Trading Post, a leading firearms retailer, using emergency powers

mikeyp

NES Member

KITTERY, ME – The Maine Department of Economic and Community Development ordered Kittery Trading Post, one of Maine’s premier outfitters and firearms retailers, SeacoastOnline.com is reporting. The closing was forced into effect by using the Governor’s emergency powers to classify the store as “non-essential.”

Gov. Janet Mills’ administration closes Kittery Trading Post, a leading firearms retailer, using emergency powers
by Maine Examiner 03/26/2020 | 5:30 0Posted in Maine News, Southern Coast

1585313078040.png

Governor Janet Mills with several Democrat State lawmakers.

KITTERY, ME – The Maine Department of Economic and Community Development ordered Kittery Trading Post, one of Maine’s premier outfitters and firearms retailers, SeacoastOnline.com is reporting. The closing was forced into effect by using the Governor’s emergency powers to classify the store as “non-essential.”

According to the report, the store was ordered closed at 3pm today. In addition to selling firearms, Kittery Trading Post sells a wide variety of items, many which could be considered “essential” for many Mainers.

Under an executive order declaring a state of civil emergency, Governor Janet Mills gave her administration the power to close any business it deemed non-essential. Seacoast Online reports that those emergency powers were used to close Kittery Trading Post.

The National Rifle Association immediately blasted the decision by Gov. Mills to close Kittery Trading Post, saying the state’s decision effectively says all firearms retailers have to close and that it limits the right and ability of Mainers to protect themselves.

“Please act now and call on Governor Mills to correct this egregious error and make firearm dealers essential businesses. It is extremely unfortunate that in these uncertain times, an elected official would limit the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise our inherent right to self-defense. Firearm dealers are essential to exercising this right!” says the statement from the National Rifle Association.

Yesterday, Kittery Trading Post offered an extensive list of actions they have taken to enhance safety in their stores, including limiting the number of people in the building at one time, contactless curbside pick-up, enhanced cleaning and reduced hours and many more.

The police chief for the town of Kittery also confirmed he had received an order from Maine Attorney General Aaron Frey that Kittery Trading Post be closed.

Kittery Trading Post said it had also increased the pay for all employees by $3 per hour during the State of Civil Emergency.

I still think another CW is in our future. Its either them or us. At some point it has to start, or we may just as well consider ourselves slaves.

gun owners of maine sent out an email blast with link to email the governor. their facebook page also has links to petitions started by state pols.

Scary times, and apparently in RI, if you have NY plates on your car the police will stop you and if your staying in the state they record your info and order you to self quarantine.

No offense, but GOOD! Filthy buggers getting virus in their own city and spreading it all over the country. Self-entitled dinkwads who think they can just wander around for their own good because "it's might right."

Damn. I mean DAMN!

I'll probably say this 8-12 times today, but if the OG-G-dub and TJ were here, they would NOT support your "I have a right to. . . " hurt feewings right now but would cold cock you and lock you in a bedroom. Not because they were tyrants but because they understood collective rights and individual responsibilities. Instead of individual rights and collective responsibilities.

The statute has an out:

"The provisions of this paragraph regarding the lawful transfer of a firearm or ammunition do not apply to the commercial sale of a firearm or ammunition if an authorized person has ordered an evacuation or general closure of businesses in the area of the business engaged in the sale of firearms or ammunition."
Yes, right near the top. The law is from 2012. Who thought that was a good idea?

Just really sick of the constant attacks on firearms. If they're not essential, why is the right to bear, the second item in the constitution? If things really turn south with civil unrest and lawlessness, hopefully these Pols are the first to go.

If there non-essential, why do the police still have theirs?
Can you say police state three times fast!
Try to take their's away or limit their access to them and then get back to me! [rofl2]

During a state of emergency our founding fathers would have intended every citizen be armed!
Look at how far from that we have come!

As much as i love/hate KTP, the place is a petri dish even when there isnt a pandemic.
But payback is a bitch, and that governor will be on a ballot again one day.

As much as i love/hate KTP, the place is a petri dish even when there isnt a pandemic.
But payback is a bitch, and that governor will be on a ballot again one day.

I went to NH a few weeks ago for a build your own rifle customer build day, I had some time to kill so I went KTP since I had heard so much about it on here. I didn't think it was too bad but I just went upstairs to the guns and left, the place looked huge out past the guns. There is room to move around the gun area and it seemed like a lot of people working. The prices were a little high but I can't fault them if people are paying. I want a Winchester Model 12 slam fire to SBS and they wanted $800 and it was in rough shape.

I went to NH a few weeks ago for a build your own rifle customer build day, I had some time to kill so I went KTP since I had heard so much about it on here. I didn't think it was too bad but I just went upstairs to the guns and left, the place looked huge out past the guns. There is room to move around the gun area and it seemed like a lot of people working. The prices were a little high but I can't fault them if people are paying. I want a Winchester Model 12 slam fire to SBS and they wanted $800 and it was in rough shape.

The place is real hit-or-miss in used gun prices, in my experience. It's like they have two distinctly different guy pricing the guns. I'll be perusing the racks, thinking "High, high, way high, wow, that's cheap for that..." I'd expect to see your $800 Model 12 and then 2 slots down the rack see a $300 Win 97 in great shape. No rhyme or reason.

The place is real hit-or-miss in used gun prices, in my experience. It's like they have two distinctly different guy pricing the guns. I'll be perusing the racks, thinking "High, high, way high, wow, that's cheap for that..." I'd expect to see your $800 Model 12 and then 2 slots down the rack see a $300 Win 97 in great shape. No rhyme or reason.

The other thing I didn't know is the used gun rating system. I already forget what this Model 12 was rated but it sounded like it was a real beauty. It wasn't out so when the manager came back with it and saw my face he immediately said let me apologize for the rating system! You are spot on with the weird used prices. I have a thing for Browning 22 take down rifles, the Belgian ones. They had one sitting there in almost perfect condition for $400. I was shocked and its now my 6th one I own. I'm going to SBR this one which will be very cool and certainly unique, the only ding on the gun was right on the crown of the barrel.

The important question is, what did you build?

The important question is, what did you build?

Q Mini Fix in 300Blk! I did mine in orange accent colors, it hasn't arrived at my LGS yet but it should very soon. It was an incredible experience, built my own rifle, drank a lot of NH IPAs with the engineering staff, they even swapped the stock on my Honey Badger with an improved one for free. This is not mine but its the mini-fix on top and the new 8.6CM mini fix on the Otto which I'm going back to do again and some other nonsense.

1585321915586.png

Q Mini Fix in 300Blk! I did mine in orange accent colors, it hasn't arrived at my LGS yet but it should very soon. It was an incredible experience, built my own rifle, drank a lot of NH IPAs with the engineering staff, they even swapped the stock on my Honey Badger with an improved one for free. This is not mine but its the mini-fix on top and the new 8.6CM mini fix on the Otto which I'm going back to do again and some other nonsense.

View attachment 342285
Nice. If I ever getting around to saving up enough for one, I definitely want to do a build day specifically so I can get the orange accents [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom